• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Whats up guys new to this forum and fairly new to the jeep world........

Welcome Mike.

You have a lot of different options as far as build route goes, but the jump from 35's to 37's is a lot bigger than it might seem. If you check out my build thread ( http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1143013 ) you will see how I went about 35's on my latest XJ. It has a trussed HP D30 front axle with 4.88's and a selectable locker. The rear axle is an 8.25 with 4.88's and factory limited slip. For suspension it has a 4.5" long arm kit and I bump stopped it enough that I didn't have to do a crazy amount of trimming to run 35x12.5r15 KM2's on 15x10 steel beadlocks.

The lift you've chosen is a good one. My friend had the BDS long arm kit on his XJ and it worked very well. His rode pretty nice too and that was with just the basic white body shocks. Keep in mind however that with your XJ having a NP242 T-Case you're options are limited for SYE's. Its a great T-case and very strong but you're going to either spend more money on a Tom Wood's SYE (plus down time as they need your output shaft to machine) or you're going to have to go with a hack-n-tap style. Me personally, I'm not a fan of those. On my previous 2000 XJ (NP242 equipped) I went with the Tom Wood's kit. You could also swap in a NP231.

As Kittrell already stated, you currently have a LP front Dana 30. I wouldn't put any money into it and like he also said, the TJ/LJ front D44 was low pinion as well and not worth what people want for them.

With 35's a HP D30 and 8.25 will hold up fine with a bit of reinforcement and careful driving. That is what I'm currently running in my XJ and have ran in previous XJ's. The Explorer 8.8 is a good option and has its advantages, however IMHO its not worth the money to swap it in. Its advantages over the 8.25 aren't enough to justify it up to 35's, and its narrow width and 5x4.5 bolt pattern make it a hassle when you try to match it with a bigger front axle.

As I said earlier, 37's are a lot bigger jump than you would think. The other issue there is if you spend the money building a D44 front to run the 37's you are right back to being at the upper limit of the axle just like you are with the D30 and 35's. If you then decide to go even bigger you'll need/want to go 1 ton axles. Of course at that point the 8.8 rear axle would need to get replaced as well because its also at it upper limit running 37's. That means in order to go up 2" of tire (over 35's) you'll need to dump a lot of money building up 2 axles that will still be at or near their limit, and if you try to go bigger in tire you're going to turn around and have to start the process over again to build even bigger axles. That of course isn't getting into what all it takes for the XJ's chassis to handle having such big tires and axles under it.

Since you're new to the Jeep world (and I'm assuming wheeling in general) I would recommend you find yourself a high pinion Dana 30 for the front and either keep the 8.25 or go with the Explorer 8.8 rear axle. I would also recommend you start on 31's or 33's instead of jumping straight to 35's. Learn on the easier trails with the smaller tires, you're a lot less likely to break or get yourself into trouble that way. Keeping with stock gearing you can find Dana 30's, 8.25's, and the 8.8 all with 4.10's from the factory. On the Jeep axles 4.10's came in the 4cyl equipped models. Your 8.25 might already have a factory limited slip and if not they can be found for pretty cheap. Jeep Liberty disc brakes are an easy swap onto the 8.25 and with those there isn't much difference vs. the Explorer 8.8 rear axle. At least not enough (IMHO) to spend the money swapping one in. The 8.25 will hold up to 35's just fine and with 37's there are better options than the narrow Explorer model 8.8 rear axle, like a Ford 9" rear that will perfectly match (width and bolt pattern) a high pinion Dana 44. FWIW I had an XJ with a Waggy D44 front and Explorer 8.8 rear running 37's. It wasn't worth the expense or effort to make those axles work together for 37's, that rig wasn't any more capable than my last two XJ's on 35's. While the bigger tires might have allowed it to do some harder trails the full body would have been destroyed in the process and I'd probably have been fighting a lot of axle issues too.

Lastly I'll just say that an XJ on 35's will handle almost any trail in CO, and the trails it won't be able to do are the same trails that most people aren't going to try to take their full bodied JK through either.

Last edited:

Went to exchange out my c25 tank and figured I was there so I bought my nitrogen tank there instead of Air gas, and I also ended up with the 40cf bottle it is still easy to carry along but can do more than fill a shock .

I wheeled my Xj on hardish trails with 35s and 37s with a 8.25 and d30.

Axles outlasted the unibody, which was also caged and plated.

I like the d44 from the tj. I also like the hp30.

I’ve been thinking about building a budget xj or something till my buggy is done. Would do welded stock axles and 35s and wheel everything within reason.

Reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder and those like minded individuals.

An xj on 35s and locked can do some pretty difficult trails if you don’t care what it looks like.

The Colorado BS thread

Whats up guys new to this forum and fairly new to the jeep world, !!

44/9” on 37’s, haven’t broke anything yet, twisted some splines in the 9” with Detroit locker though, go selectable if your budget allows.

Like previously said if your going 37’s, may as well go to tons and prepare for 40’s +

35’s will get you 99% of the places you will want to go.

I’m running 4.88’s on 37’s and wish they were deeper, but it’s not a daily driver either.

FWIW, I'm perfectly happy with 4.11's, a stick, and 35's. It'll easily pull over 100mph on the level at 6000 ft. Whether or not it'll stay on the road at the speed, is a different question. :)

38tsl bias is basically a 36-37 I said that and leafs were all I'd ever want or need ... The best thing you can do is make sure your toy is not your daily driver and then buy a bender , good welder , and some basic cutting tools , because you will not be satisfied at 35-37s when you see 42s

The Colorado BS thread

7e36c0b1846ac7545b9f41b5a42150cb.jpg

Great picture guys!

Alright guys! after a few days of a little more research I came to my conclusion! I told my self just stay with 33's and 35's... but I know 37's are always gonna be in the back of my mind so I decided to just go full out and plan to go with tons!! I really wanna switch back and forth from 37's and 35's also 37's is the biggest I wanna go. Again don't know too much about tons yet but I saw a similar build get axels from a 05 F-250 and a 99 F-250, will a be able to use front and back axels from an 05 F-250? also how would I go about drive shafts? will I be forced to go custom or will certain XJ ones work? Again thanks so much for the help! really learning more and more!

Serious question, have you ever wheeled before?

Keep your stock axles and install the lift with some 33's and go wheeling. Learn the rig, learn to pick lines, and go from there.

Alright guys! after a few days of a little more research I came to my conclusion! I told my self just stay with 33's and 35's... but I know 37's are always gonna be in the back of my mind so I decided to just go full out and plan to go with tons!! I really wanna switch back and forth from 37's and 35's also 37's is the biggest I wanna go. Again don't know too much about tons yet but I saw a similar build get axels from a 05 F-250 and a 99 F-250, will a be able to use front and back axels from an 05 F-250? also how would I go about drive shafts? will I be forced to go custom or will certain XJ ones work? Again thanks so much for the help! really learning more and more!

:twak: Going to guess this is your first build let alone first time wheelin, do what Dutch suggested. You're going to find out very quickly that what you want to do is way above the level you're going to be at.

I have wheeled before and have some experience but its all been on buddy's decently built Jk, as for first build you're right it is, and Im not gonna just slam tons and 37's and go out! I wish I could but don't have the money to do that. Its all going to be a process! and learning the rig along the way! also as budget allows lol Im just making a plan and an end goal of where I wanna be! Im taking the stock XJ to see what all it can handle and upgrading with what I think has priority. For example When I bought it completely stock I slapped a set of cheap mud claws on it! took out the rear sway bar and took it wheeling for the first time probably in its life! removed the front bumper the night before, took a set of tools with me disconnected the front sway bar deflated the tires and went out to see what it had in it! I went to Metberry and Longwater Gulch and I had an idea of what it could do so far. Obviously because its stock theres ground clearing issues but thanks to some experience I have and a really good spotter! I was able to pick good enough lines and didn't drag or damage the under body. As it sits right now Ive since then got my self a gas tank and transfer case skid! working on getting a mid frame stiffener so I only have to drill holes once! for the transfer case skid I have sitting in the garage and a future purchase of frame sliders! I will also be getting the front and rear frame stiffeners, but right now I think the mid one is priority to slap the frame sliders on and have more protection to tackle tougher tails!! Once the current tires wear out ill be cutting fenders and adding bigger tires!!! maybe 31's? what y'all think? to come to a conclusion its all process, once the budget allows for my BDS lift I already had planned running 33's on stock axles I just new I really wanted to run 37's so I was just planing ahead cause I didn't want to waste money upgrading the wrong axle like you guys had mentioned, reason being why Im here researching learning and asking for advice! feel free to follow my build and other projects I have on my instagram - @mike_ah34 Jeeps name is Xena see what I did there! with the x! lol

That was painful to read. Try using more periods than exclamation
points. I'm legitimately not trying to be a dick, but posts like that lose you credibility (at least with me).

Welcome to the community, lots of experience around here. Read more posts than you write for a while, you aren't the first person to plan for 37s and 1-tons.

That was painful to read. Try using more periods than exclamation
points. I'm legitimately not trying to be a dick, but posts like that lose you credibility (at least with me).

Welcome to the community, lots of experience around here. Read more posts than you write for a while, you aren't the first person to plan for 37s and 1-tons.

I post like such and have more experience and credibility in this hobby now than 99% of Naxja...including yourself the English major.

I post like such and have more experience and credibility in this hobby now than 99% of Naxja...including yourself the English major.
My feedback stands, it wasn't intended to be an insult. This forum has been different from the others as long as I have been here. He can find plenty of folks to respond over on Cherokee forum if that's what he is seeking. If what he wants is legitimate advice from the most knowledgeable guys around, then I think he will have better luck here if his posts are easier to follow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The Colorado BS thread

My feedback stands, it wasn't intended to be an insult. This forum had been different from the others as long as I have been here. He can find plenty of folks to respond over on Cherokee forum if that's what he is seeking. If what he wants is legitimate advice from the most knowledgeable guys around, then I think he will have better luck here if his posts are easier to follow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My person view is “F it,” wheel whatcha got and just have fun away from the hustle of life and work in the mountains.

If you have the budget to go straight to tons and 40’s go for it. Shit, I wish I did.

Life’s too short to not love getting out and doin some wheelin.

Except those damn cliff roads at Spring Creek! Those will shorten your life 😂

Last edited:

Who invited the ABQ in here, did the merger happen already? Sheesh, I'm outta here. :D

J/K, welcome to the fold.

Back