• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado Adventure 2009

Day 8: Chinns Lake, Kingston Peak & More

On Saturday, Amanda and I got yet another early start and made our way up Fall River Road. Our first destination was Chinns Lake.

Sherwin Lake
IMG_6546.JPG

End of the trail
IMG_6549.JPG

Chinns Lake. This was a very popular place. There were many campers setup along the shore of the lake. You can see the smoke from a campfire.
IMG_6550.JPG

IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

An old cabin in Chinns Lake
IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6565.JPG

An old mine along the way.
IMG_6569.JPG

IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6576.JPG

After making our way back to Fall River Road, we headed up through the town of Alice. Once we figured our way through the maze of roads there, we were soon on our way to Kingston Peak.

We stopped at the Rockhouse at the Loch Lomond Overlook.
IMG_6584.JPG

IMG_6587.JPG

When we reached Apex Road, we took a left and make a quick stop at the East Portal of the Moffat Tunnel (last time I was here to run Jenny Creek and Rollins Pass I didn't take the time to check it out). After that we headed out to Rollinsville before heading to Moon Gulch. This turned out to be a very tight trail that was also pretty off-camber much of the way.

Start of Moon Gulch.
IMG_6626.JPG

End of Moon Gulch shortly before reaching Gamble Gulch and Apex Road again.
IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6631.JPG

Passing through Apex on our way to Central City.

IMG_6637.JPG

IMG_6639.JPG

After reaching Central City we took Oh My God Road (Virginia Canyon) back to Idaho Springs before heading to the Backcountry Brewery in Frisco for some dinner.

IMG_6644.JPG

IMG_6648.JPG

That's it for Day 8. Only one more short day to go!

Day 8: Red and White Mountain

The final day of our trip was a short one. I had been away from home for 8 days, and had a lot of stuff I needed to get done before heading back to work. We decided to run Red and White Mountain along with Piney Lake Road before heading home. It was an easy trail that wouldn't take us very long, plus it was right near I-70 on our way home.

I didn't take many photos this day, but here's a few that I did take...

IMG_6654.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG

An old wagon near Piney Lake
IMG_6680.JPG

Piney Lake
IMG_6685.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

There were a lot of people at the lake....hiking, fishing, etc...
IMG_6688.JPG

.....and that's the end of my trip and this report. It was a great 9 days and I had a ton of fun! Now to start planning for my southern Utah trip this fall :D

P.S. Thanks for all the great comments about my trip!

Back