• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado Adventure 2009

IMG_5882.JPG

The trail follows the ridge to Webster Pass
IMG_5889.JPG

IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

IMG_5922.JPG

View down into Handcart Gulch
IMG_5931.JPG

Red Cone in the background
IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5945.JPG

Day 6: Santa Fe Peak, Glacier Ridge & Deer Creek

After making it to Montezuma I took a right and started climbing the many switchbacks to Santa Fe Peak.

Just getting out of the trees
IMG_5979.JPG

Climbing higher
IMG_5991.JPG

IMG_6000.JPG

IMG_6004.JPG

Looking back
IMG_6007.JPG

If you look closely, you can see a number of the switchbacks
IMG_6008.JPG

Off-camber section...it's a long way down
IMG_6011.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

Near the end of the trail
IMG_6019.JPG

Headed back down
IMG_6024.JPG

View of the trail from near the top
IMG_6036.JPG

After heading back down to Montezuma again, I decided to run the Saints John, Glacier Ridge and Deer Creek loop.

What used to be a building, is now a pile of wood at Saints John
IMG_6048.JPG

Wild Irishman Mine site
IMG_6053.JPG

The trail on top of Glacier Ridge. The trail on the left is Deer Creek.
IMG_6063.JPG

An old shack up on Glacier Ridge
IMG_6071.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6086.JPG

I just love the look of winding trails along the ridge
IMG_6088.JPG

IMG_6090.JPG

Soon I made it to the T-intersection with the Deer Creek trail. I took a left and headed down to Montezuma, yet again.

IMG_6092.JPG

Then I came across these guys.....Rocky Mountain Goats
IMG_6098.JPG

This one stopped licking the rock for a minute to look at me as I approached...
IMG_6104.JPG

...then went right back to licking the rock
IMG_6108.JPG

Day 6: Peru Creek & Middle Fork of the Swan

After making it back to Montezuma yet again, I still had plenty of daylight left and needed to figure out where I wanted to go, as I had completed all of the trails I had planned for the day (and more). Looking at my maps and books, I decided to make the quick trip up Peru Creek. While the sky was cloudy most of the day, it had yet to rain on me. That would soon change...

The road along Peru Creek
IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6142.JPG

IMG_6147.JPG

I took the short side trip to the Pennsylvania Mine and looped through the area.
IMG_6149.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6158.JPG

IMG_6167.JPG

Not much left of the roof
IMG_6176.JPG

Shortly after leaving the mine and making my way up Peru Creek again, it started to rain pretty good. When I reached the Shoe Basin Mine, I was greeted with a locked gate and a closed sign.
IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

Low clouds
IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_6192.JPG

Since I was stopped by the gate, I turned around and headed back. I was originally thinking about heading back to run Radical Hill on my way back, but decided against it because of the rain. Instead I figured I would head back up Deer Creek and take the Middle Fork of the Swan River back to Tiger Road. By the time I reached the Middle Fork trail, the rain had pretty much stopped.

Clouds in the background
IMG_6204.JPG

Day 7: Saxon Mountain, Guanella Pass & Glacier Peak

This day ended up not going as I had originally planned....but in the end it turned out to be a pretty good day.

I started out heading over Loveland Pass on my way to Georgetown.
IMG_6245.JPG

My original plan for the day was to start out on Guanella Pass, however, when I got to the start of the road, they were just closing it completely for construction. It would not be opening up again until 11am, which left me three hours to find something else to do.

So I ended up heading up...
IMG_6249.JPG

Saxon Mountain....this has to have been one of the bumpiest trails I have ever been on!

Looking down on the switchbacks of Saxon Road and I-70.
IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

At the top of Saxon Mountain
IMG_6260.JPG

View down on Georgetown from the top.
IMG_6270.JPG

After backtracking from the top, I followed the sign towards Cascade Creek, and then took Ute Creek back down to the highway.
IMG_6276.JPG

By the time I made it back to Georgetown, it was almost 11:00, so I grabbed a bite to eat for lunch until Guanella Pass was open again. Unfortunately, I was not the only one waiting for the road to open up, and I got stuck in a line of vehicles heading over the pass. That, plus the construction going on made this road less than enjoyable for me. My next plans were to head up to Waldorf and Argentine Pass, but because of the construction and finding out the road would again be closing from 1pm-3pm, I decided to avoid this whole mess altogether for the rest of the day and continue on to US 285.

A few photos from the top of Guanella Pass (A very popular place it seemed.....)

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

After making it to US 285, I took a right and made my way back to Georgia Pass. Once at the pass I took another right and headed up the Glacier Peak trail.

Great views from an overlook on the Continental Divide near Glacier Peak. There was a cool rock formation I took a few photos of...
IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

IMG_6304.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_6314.JPG

Cabin ruins along the way.
IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6360.JPG

Shadowy ruins.
IMG_6363.JPG

Before I could meet back up with the Middle Fork of the Swan River trail again, I would have to descend 'Number 10 Hill' which is also known as 'SOB Hill'. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it turned out not to be that difficult. It was probably a little easier because I was heading downhill, but I don't think I would have had any issues climbing up it either. It was pretty steep and rocky, though.

A few photos of Number 10 Hill (SOB Hill).
IMG_6366.JPG

IMG_6367.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

Shortly after reaching to bottom, I met up with the Middle Fork of the Swan River trail yet again...

Day 7 to be continued....

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_6513.JPG

End of the trail.
IMG_6519.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG

Next I turned around and headed back to Tiger Road. I stopped a few miles before reaching Breckenridge to check out one of the old dredge boats in a small pond near the road.

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6544.JPG

I ended up heading back to Frisco early to meet Amanda, as she would be joining me for the last weekend on the trip.

That's all for Day 7. Day 8 still to come...

Back