• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado Adventure 2009

You were doing some epic trail running on this trip!

I am jealous as usual!

Day 3: Sangre de Cristo Mountains & The Great Dunes

Day 3 was spent exploring the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, including some time at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. We started out heading south on US 285 to Villa Grove, where we turned off the pavement and took Hayden Pass over the mountains.

IMG_5301.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

After reaching the pavement again we headed south and topped off the gas tank in Westcliffe before making our way over to Medano Pass. I'll also mention that right before the turnoff to Medano Pass, we had a bear run across the highway in front of us....it was actually our first bear sighting.

Start of Medano Pass
IMG_5343.JPG

Sandy two-track
IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

Entering the National Park
IMG_5364.JPG

First spotting of the dunes, straight ahead
IMG_5366.JPG

Soon we reached the pavement in the park and headed over to the dunes to do a little exploring on foot. A few photos...

IMG_5419.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

A storm started rolling in as we were leaving.....it got VERY windy.
IMG_5449.JPG

The sign as we left the park
IMG_5460.JPG

After spending some time at Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve my original goal was to check out Hermit Pass, so we headed east again and took Pass Creek Pass Road back to Colorado 69 and headed north. By the time we reached Westcliffe again, it was starting to get late so I decided to skip Hermit Pass this trip.....so I'll have to return another time. We continued north and eventually made it back to Johnson Village, where we had a good dinner at the Coyote Cantina (one of my favorite places to eat in the area).

That's it for Day 3. Day 4 to be continued...

Day 4: Independence & Pearl Pass

On Day 4 we slept in a little bit longer than on the previous days before getting up and breaking down camp. As I stated in the first post on this trip report, Amanda only had 4 days with me before she had to go back to work. Being the 4th day, we needed to head back to Grand Junction this day. There was one trail that I was not able to check out earlier on the trip because it was not yet clear of snow accoriding to my research before leaving, however, after checking again the night before, I knew it was now passable......so we made our way over to Pearl Pass on our way home.

In order to get to Pearl Pass we needed to head over to Aspen. I decided to head over Independence Pass. Even though it's paved, I figured since I had not drivin it before, I might as well check it out at least once...

IMG_5468.JPG

Once in Aspen we headed up Express Creek Road to the start of Pearl Pass. This was an amazing trail and probably one of my favorites in the state! So let me warn you, I was a little camera happy and took a ton of photos......and I'm going to post a bunch of them. So if you don't like looking at photos of great trail scenery, then you may want to go read another thread instead ;) On to the photos....

Start of the trail
IMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG

Waterfall along the trail
IMG_5477.JPG

Recently repaired bridge
IMG_5480.JPG

Now above the waterfall
IMG_5482.JPG

Another sign as we climb higher
IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

The road down the other side to Crested Butte
IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

Still plenty of wildflowers near Crested Butte
IMG_5580.JPG

Once we made it to Crested Butte, we stopped for a quick lunch and topped off the gas tank before heading back to GJ via Kebler Pass again. I got to sleep in my own bed one night before heading back out on my own.

To be continued...

Man.... i hate you, but in the best way.;) Thanks for sharing your continuing epic trips. :thumbup:

Great Photos,Its the next best thing to being there--

Wayne

Day 5: Gore Range & Boreas Pass

Now that I am back from a snowy weekend in the Uinta Mountains, it's time to get back to my Colorado Adventure trip report....

After a good night's sleep back in my own bed at home, I got up early again and headed east on I-70 and US 24 to Red Cliff. From there, I hopped on the Shrine Pass road for a little ways and then headed up Lime Creek. The trail started out rocky when it was in the trees, but once it opened up, the trail smoothed out and offered some excellent views.

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

IMG_5601.JPG

Wildflowers along the trail
IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG

After looping back around to Shrine Pass Road, I headed to the short Benson Cabin trail. This trail was short and steep, but never got out of the trees, so there were not really any good views....but I did get a few shots of the Benson Cabin.

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5621.JPG

Spot my Jeep
IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

After making it back to Shrine Pass Road again, I made my way up Wearyman Creek to McAllister Gulch. This trail switchbacked up out of the trees and offered some great views in all directions.
IMG_5635.JPG

Views of Mount Holy Cross

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG

Day 6: Georgia Pass & Red Cone to Montezuma

Day 6 of the adventure brought me to Breckenridge, where I headed out of town bright and early on Tiger Road and made my way up to Georgia Pass.

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

Headed back down to the highway
IMG_5764.JPG

After making it back down to US 285, I hung a left and headed over Kenosha Pass to check out another trail I had really been looking forward to on this trip: Red Cone. I really enjoyed this trail. The trail and scenery were amazing. The skies were pretty cloudy this day, so the conditions weren't ideal for photographs, but that just means I'll have to head back another time ;) I did end up taking a bunch of photos anyways...

Red Cone open, but Webster Pass still closed
IMG_5770.JPG

Early on in the trail
IMG_5774.JPG

Finally above tree line
IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

Back