• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirping sound coming from under the hood

Reindeer said:
I'm not taking any advise from either of you.
Your hatred of someone you don't know speaks for itself.

OK take it from me then.

Yes
No
On the dash
Yes
No

In your case, I would let a mechanic do it.:repair:

:compwork:

No more chirping sound!

The water pump replacement is successfully completed.
A friend's specialized tools and encouragement allowed me to complete the work with my own hands.

Drilling a hole in a new standard thermostat is not needed for my '92 XJ, as "The OEM thermostat already has the hole in it."
Confirmed by several sources, on this forum and off, and my own success without drilling. It worked right out of the box. No problems.

Thanks much to all that encouraged me quite rightly to replace the thermostat, as it was broken. Good call.
The engine is running a few degrees cooler now, and considerably smoother.
No more "chirping".

"Burping" was made easy by RichP who suggested that I use a large funnel to let gravity do the work.
Thank you dude. You rock.

I did indeed need metric tools and a torque wrench.
Maybe some of you have a good feel for what 13 ft. lbs. feels like.
I don't, hence the need.

I also needed a special key to remove the water pump pulley.
The manual that I used didn't cover this, and I'm told that later XJs don't have this especially keyed fastener.
I was not deterred.

I also used some gasket cement.
Again, thanks to Rich Pierson for this tip.

I discovered that removal of the fan shroud was not possible without first unbolting the mechanical fan, contrary to the manual and the experience my buddy with a '96 XJ.
It is probably possible for other model years, but there is not enough clearance on the '92 to take off the shroud first without damaging the radiator fins. This was the most tedious part of the repair.

The XJ has been running smoothly since Sunday.

-Reindeer

Back