• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob needs some help from the suspension gurus!

hogluvr

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a '94 XJ and trailered it home, suspect it has a bad CPS. Dropped it off at my mom's until I could make room in my driveway. Pulled it over with a tow bar and the first thing I noticed was when I turned one way the Jeep would counter-steer in the opposite direction! Was a rough 4 mile haul. Got it home and started and tried driving it, it felt like it was on flat tires and would barely steer. Suspected the tires might have been aired down, they're low (25psi) but not aired down for trail driving, I think. It has a lift, I'm guessing 4 inch, and some other suspension parts. It also doesn't sit quite right, leaning on the passenger side. I've had a few lifted Jeeps and trucks but they were strictly street queens, it's obvious from the banged-up body panels that the PO enjoyed wheeling in it. I'm a pretty goid shade tree mechanic but a novice to suspension lifts, particularly on an XJ, any ideas where to start?

Pics would help. The suspension isn't rocket science. Most people problems are junk parts or cheaping out and not replacing worn components then lifting it.

I saw some pics on another site. It looked to me that the tires were splayed. A lot of questions. I'd probably jack up one side, and try and shake the wheel. Then the other. I am questioning if the bearing hubs are in good shape or not. Mainly, the passenger side one. Also, as stated on the other site, I'd get a sway bar. Probably get disconnects for the sway bar if you plan to use as a DD and some off road. I'd also check ball joints and tie rod ends.
It looked from the picture, you have aftermarket control arms, aftermarket upper and lower short arm links, an aftermarket trackbar, the spring brackets look aftermarket. These are a good thing. I'd also check the steering gear box. Is it properly tightened to the frame? Did they replace the aluminum stock bracket with and after market steel one?

Yeah I noticed the tires being slayed too. I'll check out the things you suggested. I think the PS pump is bad because I found fluid and stop-leak in the back. Pump is leaking when I turn the wheels. I guess I don't have enough posts to attach pics? There is a sway bar in the back with disconnects I plan on putting back on. Thanks for the replies!

The trackbar look to be installed backwards also!

On the other board that last post mentions you need longer brake lines. Raybestos and Weaver make some extended lines for 3-4 inch lifts.

A side view would be good, but you've got your hands full! I see a lot of questionable things but most important is rust. On a Uni-body rust is your worst nightmare, I would go thru the entire Jeep front to back and address things as they come up!

Yeah I noticed those old isolators and crooked spring, the front springs and shocks look pretty new, can't figure out why he didn't change those as well. I'm so clueless on the suspension on these things that I don't know what the track bar is. Yeah those brake lines should def be extended. I just pulled this thing back from Virginia so rust is not an issue, super clean underneath, too bad the body is so beat up!

Track bar is the part that goes from the passenger side of the axle to the bracket on the driver's side of the frame. I am wondering who's make it is, that and the track bar brace. Rubicon Express is the only one I know that uses a tube for the Track Bar brace. Theirs is silver in color.

The trackbar look to be installed backwards also!

As noted, I looked at trackbars then pictures. I don't see the adjustment end on the OP's. That should be at the trackbar bracket. I almost think it is something someone fabbed up. ??? Check if there is an adjustment end on the trackbar, ie threaded shaft end.

Wtf theres another forumn that allows pictures.

Just not here without lots of work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back