• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee dual exhaust??? thoughts?

Maybe you should read a little. Users have been talking about everything from V8, V6s and 4.0s.
Cherokees in general

THE_OWL said:
.my front DS has been known to rub it from time to time.
]

I had that problem. I had a head pipe made that wraps around the front of the oil pan and then connects to the other one, works great and everything os out of harms way.

THE_OWL said:
Maybe you should read a little. Users have been talking about everything from V8, V6s and 4.0s.
Cherokees in general

The subject of the thread is to give Homey advice. He's the one who posted it. So please help reduce hijacking by keeping the thread where it belongs. And that is to give advice to the person who origionally posted the thread. If you want a discussion on dual exhaust then start a new thread on it instead of hijacking someone elses.
Common, this is a common rule among forums.

crimsonride said:
The subject of the thread is to give Homey advice. He's the one who posted it. So please help reduce hijacking by keeping the thread where it belongs. And that is to give advice to the person who origionally posted the thread. If you want a discussion on dual exhaust then start a new thread on it instead of hijacking someone elses.
Common, this is a common rule among forums.

In a sense are you not hijacking this thread to make a rant on internet etiquette?

The subject is duals on a XJ, not duals on only 2.8L XJs. They are all mostly on topic...well except for your post and this one.

I bet with some coal and a little effort you could make diamonds up there.....

i've got enough on bottom, its top end i'm looking to gain, which is why i was looking into running a bigger, more free flowing exhaust.

homey_15 said:
i've got enough on bottom, its top end i'm looking to gain, which is why i was looking into running a bigger, more free flowing exhaust.

Welcome to trade off land. Big open exhaust hurts low end grunt.

notorious DUG said:
In a sense are you not hijacking this thread to make a rant on internet etiquette?

The subject is duals on a XJ, not duals on only 2.8L XJs. They are all mostly on topic...well except for your post and this one.

I bet with some coal and a little effort you could make diamonds up there.....

So how does discussing wether or not a I6 sounds good with dual exhaust help him decide what he want's on his V6? In the first post he states what he wants. You stick to that or you don't help him. Get your own post. If you post doesn't address his need then it's off track and his thread is null, he won't get what he needs.

actually when i made the post, the point of this post was to see what everyone thought about putting duals on my 2.8, not only how it would look exiting the vehicle but if it would net me any gain in top end

Yeah but the SUBJECT line and the origional post both say NOTHING specific about the engine.

Plus the average user or people preforming searches in the future may find the info helpfull. The origional poster may find the other info usefull as well, even if it is not specific to his vehicle.

Tell me, is it hard going through life so concerend with others?

notorious DUG said:
Yeah but the SUBJECT line and the origional post both say NOTHING specific about the engine.

Plus the average user or people preforming searches in the future may find the info helpfull. The origional poster may find the other info usefull as well, even if it is not specific to his vehicle.

Tell me, is it hard going through life so concerend with others?

I'm just trying to help Homey get what he needs. Sorry I'm not in for the "greater good of the community".

Tell me. Do you always end your posts with insults.

homey_15 said:
actually when i made the post, the point of this post was to see what everyone thought about putting duals on my 2.8, not only how it would look exiting the vehicle but if it would net me any gain in top end

Nopmatter what the engine larger, more open echaust will improve top end power unless you get to the point where you are over scavanging the cylinders and I doubt most XJ motors even have to worry about it.

Of course like I said before their is a trade off, you will loose some of the low enbd power but you may see better throttle response.

well i guess i should apologise for not being perfect here notorious, its all my fault. if we would spend less time being synical and more time trying to get along and help each other out, then maybe when it was made clear later on in the post that we were talking about my 2.8 cherokee everyone could have took that into consideration before getting entirely off the subject and putting others down.

see we coulda skipped the part in the middle where we were doing nothing but being a pain in each others asses and jumped right to the part where we give the valuable info and opinion that we have on the subject. thanks for your help.

I think we're back on track. Lets just stick to what's on hand.

Homey, you know my opinion. I think dual is more for looks than for performance. You should get more than enough flow with 2.5 pipe than you need. I had a slight poping after I let the gas of when I reved it. That's because there's not enough backpressure. It went away after a couple days though.

actually, thats what i've been leaning towards. doing 2" to a intersection where it becomes like 2.5 or 3 or so, and stays that size all the way back. i think this mod will really make its usefullness known when i get the "hipo" cam in and i'm flowing even more air.

i didnt really think about that, i'd be able to use everything from where it steps up in size all the way back if i were to use 3". just have to have new downtubes made. good point

crimsonride said:
I had a slight poping after I let the gas of when I reved it. That's because there's not enough backpressure. It went away after a couple days though.

Does this mean your backpressure increased after a couple of days? How would this lack of "backpressure" cause popping?

Back to the original 2.8;
headers, head work, larger intake ...
A 2.8 isn't a very big pump. Where is all this exhaust coming from?

its not that i'm going to NEED 3" exhaust to keep up with the air that my 2.8 is going to move its that while i'm doing it, why not go overboard?? i try to stick to the addage that " too much is just enough"

Back