• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap tube bender

i know its probably not gonna see use every single day, but those cheap ass aluminum die's make me nervous. jd2 dies are solid cnc'd steel, IIRC the 1 3/4 die was 37lbs....

something tells me jd2 makes em this way for a reason, and i doubt it is to inflate shipping prices. i would love to hear it if anyone has used one with .120+ DOM tubing for longer than a couple bends......

i know its probably not gonna see use every single day, but those cheap ass aluminum die's make me nervous. jd2 dies are solid cnc'd steel, IIRC the 1 3/4 die was 37lbs....

something tells me jd2 makes em this way for a reason, and i doubt it is to inflate shipping prices. i would love to hear it if anyone has used one with .120+ DOM tubing for longer than a couple bends......

Aluminum isnt a problem,the best "high-end" benders use aluminum!

The gottrykes is nice. I have it and so does FrankZ. It is a fair amount of work to fabricate, but when you are done you have a VERY nice setup.

The gottrykes is nice. I have it and so does FrankZ. It is a fair amount of work to fabricate, but when you are done you have a VERY nice setup.
Agreed. I'm very happy with the plans I got from gottrikes.

Bender_HalfExtended.jpg

Plus, I like the vertical better than the horizontal a lot of the package benders are as it allows you to do things like B-Pillar hoops without a large swing radius.

BPillar_Bending.jpg

i bought the gottrikes plans and plan on starting the build next week..... time aside its the only design that will give me 100% portability with a 180 degree die..... RCman how much money would you say you have in materials in yours?

All told I have about $500 into the bender including the die, ram, and steel.

If you have a local steel salvage and supply place, take your list of pieces with you. Most are short enough to qualify as 'drops'. I picked almost all of the steel up for 55 cents a pound.

That gottrikes bender doesnt look bad. I bought a JD2 a few years back and to date we have done over 60 cages with it and who knows how many bumpers and what else. The most important part of the bender is the fit of the die so it doesn't kink the tubing.

Mount the JD2 vertically on a mobile base. Add a HF air/hydro ram. Done. I have plans for the gottrikes bender....prolly going to go with the JD2 Model 3 because my labor to fab one is worth $$$.
5435760992_large.jpg

5435760993_large.jpg

Thats Eddie's bender at Ground Pounder Fab. That bender is pimp as hell. I actually have his old JD2 he mounted on a horizontal bending table.. and love it.

My buddy has a got trikes bender, and hates it compared to mine due to the height you have to work on it at

Agreed. I'm very happy with the plans I got from gottrikes. Plus, I like the vertical better than the horizontal a lot of the package benders are as it allows you to do things like B-Pillar hoops without a large swing radius. (pictures)

I just sent them an email this morning. After following your build I was sold. The vertical feed, mixed with the mobility, is the deal maker for me. Can't wait to get started, I've got a lot of work lined up for mine.

I was thinking about going 1.75" dies since it's the size required for the weight class of my 240 in SCCA.

When you get the plans for the gottrykes, he gives you a contact to purchase the dies at a discount.

I have built two of the Go-trikes benders... they are the tits. let me know if ya need some help. :)
~ Stump

Yeah I am excited. I got the plans the other day and I'll start fabbing it up once I get through my transmission rebuild over the weekend. The plans are stupid simple but I'm a little disappointed to see there isn't much concern for tolerance/precision fit. I do new product development for the company I work for so I'm quite proficient with CAD systems and part production and I've got no problem running a mill/lathe/welder but I appreciate the offer. I might build the first one per his specifications, with a further concern for a precise fit and then see what alterations I want to make. I can already tell you that I will surely use a Connex spring bushing for the pivot shafts over the turned cold roll piece and add some 1/8" skids to raise the frame off the floor. I'll post some pictures once I get it together.

just post up the plans so we can all see them. i dont think gottrikes will be to mad. :). dies are what gets ya.

^ he seems pretty adamant about you not doing that.... He doesn't make anything off the dies.

Last edited:
I talked my brother into buying a used JD2 model 3 for $255 shipped to his door with 3/4" and 1" 3"r dies....sweet deal....can't wait to mess around with it, just wish my MIG didn't die on me.

Ummm... yeah thats a HECK of a deal. The dies are worth more than that. If you want to sell the 1" die, Id take it off your/his hands.

yup, awesome deal. the smaller dies are cheaper, but you basically still got em free, assuming the benders metal in good condition and all the pins/fallower blocks are there.

I was thinking about going 1.75" dies since it's the size required for the weight class of my 240 in SCCA.
1.75" is spec for jeepspeed too, so its a good choice.... I run an overbuilt 1.5"DOM cage, which will probably be fine, but will never pass tech to race... I shouldve waited for the 1.75 die, but instead I started with the 1.5", which is great for bumpers/etc. the 1.75" die is pricey and HEAVY!!

yup, awesome deal. the smaller dies are cheaper, but you basically still got em free, assuming the benders metal in good condition and all the pins/fallower blocks are there.

It's in great shape, guy said he only used it for a few small items and it looks it. Dial/angle guage thing is still in original package, never used. We're going keep all the dies, they are pretty expensive.

Back