• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB's

Thanks, my next step is to hit the market and pick one up. Whats the standard height for antennas 4' or 3' or does it matter?

Thanks again for all the input fellas.

Thanks, my next step is to hit the market and pick one up. Whats the standard height for antennas 4' or 3' or does it matter?

Thanks again for all the input fellas.

Depends on where you want to mount it. Also depending on where you mount it you may have to trim some of the antenna once you get a SWR meter to tune it...

I think the rear corner of my rig would the best place near the light. I also did not anticipate tuning the radio. lol I thought it was a plug and play lol
Man i'm out of it big time. Thanks agian tone

I think the rear corner of my rig would the best place near the light. I also did not anticipate tuning the radio. lol I thought it was a plug and play lol

It pretty much is plug n play, but tuning is highly advised. I'm sure someone close to you has a SWR meter you could use to tune your radio, but if you wanted to buy one you can get em off the net for somewhere around $10

If you are going to mount it on the back corner make sure you get a top loaded fiberglass antenna. I would go 4 ft over 3. You want to keep the "load" of the antenna above the roof. As for SWR. You can get a meter and tune it yourself or see if you have a cb shop nearby. Like around a truck stop. They can tune them for you.

Yea the little Firestik one is like 18 bucks at 4West or any radio shop. Just do a bit of thinking before you mount it. I mounted mine on the right rear quarter just shy of the hatch, and I love it there. Crap for range, but it's a trail rig not a cross-country flier hehe. :)

X2 on the connex radio, hard radio to beat, But as a former cross country truck driver i can tell you that the Cobra is a strong unit. I have and run a Cobra29 with tons of work done to it and run a wilson 5000 ant. but you dont need that kinda kick in the jeep. a cheapo will do just fine. Just FYI if you stop by your local truck stop (and have a cb to talk to the drivers in the lot) you can usually find a well built brand name radio for under $50.

X2 on the connex radio, hard radio to beat, But as a former cross country truck driver i can tell you that the Cobra is a strong unit. I have and run a Cobra29 with tons of work done to it and run a wilson 5000 ant. but you dont need that kinda kick in the jeep. a cheapo will do just fine. Just FYI if you stop by your local truck stop (and have a cb to talk to the drivers in the lot) you can usually find a well built brand name radio for under $50.

does connex make a CB radio? i thought all they made were 10 meter/HAM radios. from what i have read, you can modify the 10 meter radio to listen to the 40 CB channels (27mhz), but cannot "legally" transmit. or am i wrong?

does connex make a CB radio? i thought all they made were 10 meter/HAM radios. from what i have read, you can modify the 10 meter radio to listen to the 40 CB channels (27mhz), but cannot "legally" transmit. or am i wrong?

You are correct. They are modified 10 meter radios. Pushing more than 4 watts of power is I believe when the legality comes into play.

One of the inexpensive cobras or nidlands will be fine for a radio. Buy a decent antennae. I would recommend a Wilson roof mount or mag mount. Place the antennae in the center of the roof for best performance.
There is nothing worse than trying to decipher someone that you can barely hear or sounds like they're talking with a mouthful of marbles.

I have had my CB for years and never hooked it up. No idea how to do it so never did.

lol

I have a Uniden PC78ELITE, or the 68, I don't remember...

I just mounted my old Uniden 520xl in the Jeep. I used to drive truck too and have had this fine little radio for nearly twenty years now. They still make the 510 XL I think, and it's the same size.

One of the inexpensive cobras or nidlands will be fine for a radio. Buy a decent antennae. I would recommend a Wilson roof mount or mag mount. Place the antennae in the center of the roof for best performance.
There is nothing worse than trying to decipher someone that you can barely hear or sounds like they're talking with a mouthful of marbles.

Not really fond of the antenna on the roof idea but was wondering if a longer antenna would work off the rear of the jeep for more clarity maybe a 6' antenna?

A longer antenna will perform better. Make sure its tuned proper. Range will be affected. Say you mount it on the right rear corner. When you talk some of the wave from the antenna will be reflected/lost hitting the corner of the vehicle. The rest of the wave will travel farthest off the left front corner of the vehicle because of the ground plain you will have. But if your only talking to people close to you it doesn't really matter.

So far i have gained from this thread on cb radio's, I always wanted one since watching the movie (Convoy back in the late 70's maybe. :greensmok

Back