• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Talk

Wilson also makes a 'lil will" that doesn't get knocked off as easily on the trails.

GREAT Point...and another great antenna :worship::worship:

Go fiberglass, wouldn't want you or a spotter getting thwacked with a big steel whip.

Yeah and on a lot of NAXJA runs they won't like you very much if you have a huge whip antenna!

GREAT Point...and another great antenna :worship::worship:

I have a wilson 4 ft. flex antenna mounted on the driver side of my rear bumper. it does great on the trail and pretty decent on the interstate

I am looking at replacing my regular antenna with a 4 foot FireStick with adjustable tunning tip. And wonder if any one here has used the Firestick RF converter box also, to use the CB antenna also as a fm/am antenna?

I am not talking about using my AM/FM antenna as the CB radio rather the other way around. Installing the CB Antenna and using the converter box that FireStick makes to allow the CB antenna also function as a AM/FM antenna.

I am wanting to keep a very clean look to my Jeep and did not necessarily want two different antennas

Firestick body mount and 4' Wilson. It only sticks up a little above the roof.

DSC02196.jpg

Dunno, you might not get a decent ground plane from that.

[Threadjack] Alright, I finished installing my new CB today. Uniden 520xl with a Wilson Little Wil center roof. Only thing is my SWR readings are really high- 4.5 on ch.1 and 5 on ch.40. Is that normal for an antenna that hasn't been tuned yet? I don't wanna start chopping it shorter if it's not gonna work...[/threadjack]

Oh, and how do you shorten the antenna? Should I just take an angle grinder to it?

I an by no means an expert but that sounds more like a Bad ground and connections over a poorly tuned antenna, a Wilson should not require much tuning.

thats way high should be 1.1 to 2.0 i would'nt talk on the radio till you get the s.w.r's down it will kill it !! that antenna should have a set screw on it just loose'en screw raise or lower to get the right reading !!

Check your ground and all other connections first and if it all checks out check to see if your coax is shorted out between the center and ground side. If every thing checks out and there is no adjustment on the antenna stinger it's self you only want to cut about 1 eighth of an inch off at a time and recheck the SWR. if you take to much off at one time you want be able to get the set with out modifing the antenna.

As a magnetic mount doesn't it ground directly to the roof?

Do the power and ground leads for the CB itself have any affect on the antenna tuning?

Back