• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carbon fiber...why not?

dzolcali

NAXJA Forum User
carbon fiber hoods and fenders would be nice...lighten the load and increase MPG sure they look rice but you know as well as I know they weigh less...

is there anyone that can mold out a CF hood or fenders for the xj?

maybe even a cf driveshaft? I've heard of these before, supposedly they are nice

Hood maybe, fenders or drive shaft, noooooooooooo wayyyyyyyyy

But if weight were an issue I wouldn't be running .25" armor plate under the whole vehicle. :jester:

CF composite body panels would make some sense - and if you're worried about "looking rice," I'm sure the resin used as a binder can be coloured - I haven't checked, but I think it's two-part polyurethane or two-part epoxy anyhow, which I know can be coloured.

Or, just make sure the surface can be scuffed and painted - problem solved.

5-90

alot of companies with IRS vehicles use a carbon PROPELLER shaft (no slip, no movent, just spins). I know the nissan 350z has this. as far as a CV shaft, i dont know if itll work

dzolcali said:
maybe even a cf driveshaft? I've heard of these before, supposedly they are nice
you need to stop playin video games

KNUCKLEHEAD said:
you need to stop playin video games

Umm, there are CF driveshafts out there. They are really expensive, but light and strong. As far as off-roading, it would be a really bad idea. CF won't stand up to side blows very well, hit one rock and that would be it.

dzolcali said:
carbon fiber hoods and fenders would be nice...lighten the load and increase MPG sure they look rice but you know as well as I know they weigh less...

is there anyone that can mold out a CF hood or fenders for the xj?

We are actually working on some CF fenders,hood, dash panel, louvered side panels etc. for our Jeepspeed rig, it is pricey stuff but with a foam or fiberglass core it would only be skinned with CF or hybrid(CF/Kevlar). Def not for the ricer look but more for function/durability and it would shave a little weight. My buddies just happen to build UAVs(unmanned aerial vehicles)and they are composite guys so it was something we are kicking around for future production. It was their idea so I am just going along with it but we will let you all know how it turns out. As for the driveshaft...doesn't sound too safe.

CF is expensive stuff but if you want the lightest strongest whatever then get out the wallet. While not impossible it's quite a bit more difficult to make structurly sound thus the cost and materials arn't cheap either. As for CF driveshafts, it could be done, and stand up to the abuse, all depends on the design and how it's made.

Skullvarian said:
We are actually working on some CF fenders,hood, dash panel, louvered side panels etc. for our Jeepspeed rig, it is pricey stuff but with a foam or fiberglass core it would only be skinned with CF or hybrid(CF/Kevlar). Def not for the ricer look but more for function/durability and it would shave a little weight. My buddies just happen to build UAVs(unmanned aerial vehicles)and they are composite guys so it was something we are kicking around for future production. It was their idea so I am just going along with it but we will let you all know how it turns out. As for the driveshaft...doesn't sound too safe.
you going to sell them? don't they have to be available to the public to be JeepSpeed legal?

BrettM said:
you going to sell them? don't they have to be available to the public to be JeepSpeed legal?

I think the only class regulations as far as public availability is suspension and drivetrain. I could be wrong, but i think its like that. The cages are obviously not aftermarket ready.

BrettM said:
I am thinking that is only for suspension systems/componenets, will double check w/Clive but hopefully it does not apply to body panels etc. We have a buddy that does some class 8 dez racing and he is also interested. It hasn't really gone any farther than the planning stages so we will see how it turns out. They would like to sell them but it may not be economical, we will see what happens. I also have a yota I will be working on for the dez so that will be another canditate/experiment. Thanks Brett, hadn't really thought of the JS legality thing.

JeepSpeed1 Rules said:
Major components, such as suspension kits, must be readily available to the general public. Unless a modification is allowed or component listed as open herein, that part must remain original. Any component or assembly can be strengthened by adding material, but the original must remain intact.

1.1.1Body:

1.1.1.1 Stock unit construction body only. All body panels must retain original dimensions and material type (except front fenders, hood and fender flares). No internal body structure may be removed unless noted herein, except to allow passage of roll cage tube (where the hole must be welded closed using material of the same thickness removed. The stock rear upper shock mount crossmember may be removed or modified for installation of under-floor fuel cell. Stock seams may be rewelded, and material added for strength.

1.1.1.2Front fenders and hood may be replaced with units of any material. Fenders may have additional flare and wheel arch, but must have basic appearance of stock Jeep XJ model bodylines. Front bumper may be trimmed to match the new fender openings.

I think you'll be fine, but I would definitely check before that kind of investment of time and money.

they do make carbon fiber drive shafts for racing..thats why I asked...not everyone goes and takes their jeeps into rocks and shit..some people drive on the roads. As far as panels and hoods, I was just think gas is going up and the xj weighs a bit, and ever little bit helps...cf is strong and durable when done correctly. Another thing to add, there is a carbon fiber shortage currently which will make your endeavor with the manufacture of cf parts more expensive, currently the aerospace industry has first dibs on all fiber material for the carbon fiber mixture as far as I know.
Also, heres a quick bit of info, carbon fiber is not used on planes...why you ask? Because planes get struck by lightening very often, it cascades over the capsule...however if the plane were made of carbonfiber and were stuck...lol goodbye plane and passengers. dun dun dun...NOW YOU KNOW!

dzolcali said:
they do make carbon fiber drive shafts for racing..thats why I asked...not everyone goes and takes their jeeps into rocks and shit..some people drive on the roads. As far as panels and hoods, I was just think gas is going up and the xj weighs a bit, and ever little bit helps...cf is strong and durable when done correctly. Another thing to add, there is a carbon fiber shortage currently which will make your endeavor with the manufacture of cf parts more expensive, currently the aerospace industry has first dibs on all fiber material for the carbon fiber mixture as far as I know.
Also, heres a quick bit of info, carbon fiber is not used on planes...why you ask? Because planes get struck by lightening very often, it cascades over the capsule...however if the plane were made of carbonfiber and were stuck...lol goodbye plane and passengers. dun dun dun...NOW YOU KNOW!
how many mpg do you expect to gain by loosing a few pounds in the fenders and hood? how many miles, even at $5/gal, would it take to make up for the cost of making those?

dzolcali said:
You would never recover the cost of the intitial investment of the carbon fiber panels in gas savings. The wieght difference would be nominal at best...just take a big shit before you drive...it would be cheaper and proabably save you the same amount of wieght...just a thought though.

lol...ok well what about added horsepower...it would def help in that situation as well...for those of us who like to squeeze extra hp out of an engine...also known as "free horsepower" when you lighten the ride more horsepower is available since it has less weight to carry..this is all elementary stuff..but seriously, cf is not so bad i dunno why so many people hate on it...ive had too much fiberglass break on me and it's expensive as well...

I've heard racing stickers will give you more hp while giving you more miles per gallon as well...

Seriously though, They're cheaper than carbon fiber body panels. :wierd:

Back