• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carbon fiber...why not?

dzolcali said:
lol...ok well what about added horsepower...it would def help in that situation as well...for those of us who like to squeeze extra hp out of an engine...also known as "free horsepower" when you lighten the ride more horsepower is available since it has less weight to carry..this is all elementary stuff..but seriously, cf is not so bad i dunno why so many people hate on it...ive had too much fiberglass break on me and it's expensive as well...

:repair: :repair: :repair: :repair:

do some of that.. start getting some real life experience then tell us all that stuff will help.

My question is this, if those ricer boyz have all that CF, why are they still slow? I have seen 5000lbs run twice as fast down a stip as a ricer. Or how about ralley. Those guys dont have loads of CF, they wieght around 3500. About the same you XJ wieghts.

I say... if you want to learn wtf we are all talking to you about, learn to listen to THOSE WHO HAVE A CLUE. ok? Don't ask questions just to ask them, because they have been asked already.

scrappy...sorry and nothing intended but fuck off please...your following me around in my threads just bashing on me for whatever reason...cf is lighter, and strong...if I had a choice to race something it would be a 1969 beetle, i'm sure a beetle can beat your 5000lb monster beast thats so fast. hypothetical races online are great keep it going. No question is a stupid question and i don't ask questions just to ask them...if no one asked questions on naxja, people wouldn't be able to search for things. And I do wrench on my rides...I lowered my s10, I put an exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe, fitted a full fiberglass and polyurethane body kit on a talon tsi awd, installed boost gauges, egt gauges, many of other things, i repaired the front end of my jeep and banged out all the mounting brackets...I just repaired a ford aspires entire front end, including radiator, tail lights, headlights, pulled metal out, corner lights, bumper, and hood and hinges...I'm not an idiot, maybe I don't know shit about lifting a jeep, i'm learning just like you did scrappy the first time you touched a wrench. quit being a hater and leave me alone...K thanks

carbon fiber isn't really cool. I think it's ugly, and all the ones i see on peoples hoods are chipped up or sun faded. I was mainly just looking for a way to lighten up my jeep I searched and couldn't find a hood other than the cowl inductino hood I figured carbon fiber was out of the question yet, naxja forums tend to turn up good info occasionally on things i haven't yet discovered online by searching. Thats why I posed the question. In which I found that someone here is possibly making some things made out of CF :)

good cf is ok I guess...it could be cool on a jeep since no one has any. People talk about lexan windows and stuff and thats all fine and dandy i say, carbon fiber and everyone jumps my nuts about it...wtf

none, i've actually gained weight, and once the lift is on, will continue to gain weight, thus the reason to counter that with lighter other things. It's a DD as well, I don't want to rip out the interior and drive girls around in some beat up internal junk...I want to set everything up all smooth and aesthetic, yet functional, nothing wrong with that last time i checked. good call scrappy...minus the S

5-90 said:
CF composite body panels would make some sense - and if you're worried about "looking rice," I'm sure the resin used as a binder can be colored - I haven't checked, but I think it's two-part polyurethane or two-part epoxy anyhow, which I know can be colored.

Or, just make sure the surface can be scuffed and painted - problem solved.

5-90

actually you can get colored carbon fiber : red,blue,yellow and grey .i think that there are more but i cant remember what they are ill look for the site again to see.

i thought that a CF hood would be sweet to set up as a heat reduction hood with a cowl in front and vents in the rear. also CF has (from what i read ) better heat dissipation than steal or fiberglass . which would help with a hot engine compartment!

dzolcali said:
they do make carbon fiber drive shafts for racing..thats why I asked...not everyone goes and takes their jeeps into rocks and shit..some people drive on the roads. As far as panels and hoods, I was just think gas is going up and the xj weighs a bit, and ever little bit helps...cf is strong and durable when done correctly. Another thing to add, there is a carbon fiber shortage currently which will make your endeavor with the manufacture of cf parts more expensive, currently the aerospace industry has first dibs on all fiber material for the carbon fiber mixture as far as I know.
Also, heres a quick bit of info, carbon fiber is not used on planes...why you ask? Because planes get struck by lightening very often, it cascades over the capsule...however if the plane were made of carbonfiber and were stuck...lol goodbye plane and passengers. dun dun dun...NOW YOU KNOW!

I beg to differ on the CF not being used on airplanes, or any aircraft for that matter for structural use. The entire aircraft isn't made of the stuff, it's way too brittle, but sections and panels are, such as tails, doors, and non-load bearing frames. There is a metal mesh layed into the mold (imagine window screen in the layup), to dissipate any electrical influences (lighting, static discharges).

It would be a great way to reduce weight and not lose strength, but would the cost effectivity outway any long term benefits? That's what I would have to ask myself. If you can afford it, by all means go for it.

How about using aluminum, such as 2024-T3? I don't know of any place offering body panels made of it, but the weight difference is just as substantial. The body lines on the XJ are pretty basic, so it would'nt be too terribly hard to form.

Last edited:
good post, the whole airplane thing was told to me through a meteorology course, the instructor happen to be a airplane pilot as well and thats what he had to say about carbon fiber being used for airplane fusaloge sp?

I know of a few military planes made with cf. I know that when used for something like a driveshaft part, gains of upto 5% can be expected.

Also, the reason most "ricers" aren't fast with cf products are because: 1) it is usually cf laid over fiberglass 2) they weren't that fast to begin with.

The general rule of thumb is for every 100lbs you lose of sprung weight, you gain .1 seconds in the 1/4 mile. So if you shed 200lbs by using cf, you only gain roughly .2 of a second (so instead of a 16.5 you run a 16.3).

CF bodypanels are pretty pointless for most xj owners, but a cf hood could be useful, because you can make it vented or have a larger cowl.

if i hadt he extra money i would love to make a widebody street jeep with hannemann's stuff. the bedsides would work perfect on a 2 door, with the 6" flares up front

I think another reason CF is used in racing driveshafts is safety... when a steel or alum shaft checks out, the (relatively large) pieces of it will carry some energy. When a CF shaft checks out, it disintegrates into a gazillion little lightweight pieces that carry very little energy.

yay, so I guess i'm super stupid for suggesting a carbon fiber drive shaft...evidently thats what everyone in my other thread has concluded. Perhaps for off road it is dumb, but I never specified an off road jeep cf driveshaft...oh well thats what assuming does..majority rules, i'm an idiot

dzolcali said:
i'm an idiot

Yes...Yes you are. There is good news though...realizing it is the first step in the process. Now you need to work on not being an idiot. Seriously though, carbon fiber drive shafts have thier place...just not in the jeep world.

Last edited:
mog I resent that comment, i'm not stupid at all, in fact i'm working on my masters right now, theres was a big hint of sarcasm in that "i'm an idiot" statement. it would be nice if people would just either say, nothing if they don't know about something i'm posting about, or, if they do know like those mentioned above about the carbonfiber shaft splittin up etc...would either discuss it, or say "yeah that would work but not in the jeep world"
life could be so much happier if people would do that. I don't go to the tranny tech forums and start talking about splines and shit, cause I don't know anything about them I have no clue why other members here attack my post when they know or completely missed the meaning of the threads.

dzolcali said:
mog I resent that comment, i'm not stupid at all, in fact i'm working on my masters right now, theres was a big hint of sarcasm in that "i'm an idiot" statement. it would be nice if people would just either say, nothing if they don't know about something i'm posting about, or, if they do know like those mentioned above about the carbonfiber shaft splittin up etc...would either discuss it, or say "yeah that would work but not in the jeep world"
life could be so much happier if people would do that. I don't go to the tranny tech forums and start talking about splines and shit, cause I don't know anything about them I have no clue why other members here attack my post when they know or completely missed the meaning of the threads.

"yeah that would work but not in the jeep world"

k. Now that thats settled...how about CF bumpers? LOL

Back