• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping/Fishing in Michigan's UP?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Looking into a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula for some backcountry camping on good Salmon and Trout waters. Porcupine Mountain area?

Anyone have any info as far as locations and fishing opportunity's in the late July or early August time frame?

Appreciate any input...

I'm not a fisherman, so take this with a grain of salt.

You should be good in the Porkies, or consider the Seney Wildlife Refuge. Rustic camping should be available in the Porkies, I don't know about Seney anymore.

I think I'd stay out of the Keweenau Peninsula for fishing, though. For scenery, it's pretty nice up towards Copper Harbor.

My g/f's bro-in-law used to work in the Porkies, and I should run into him next weekend. I'll pick his brain then.

john, got your pm...

I'm sorry I cannot help....

never done it......I'd be talking out my ass....

ask vug maybe?

btw, this was a topic of quick conversationa t our recent "tom fest 2004".....

Thanks Guys..

Jeff V....Vug...Scott Mac...Ted?

I realize my timeframe is a lil late for the best fishing, but hopefully i can do ok with deeper water.

Just looking for something different, want a loc other than Maine's North Woods or NH's White Mtn's.

I'm getting limited info from GORP.

Sorry, I'm not a fisherman and I've only been up that way once.

fall fishing isn't my thing. however I do some steelhead fishing in the Cut river, Black river area in May, with the snow fall this year we should have a helluva season. Never fished farther west than that tho so I too can't be any help.

Camping is easy, you can camp just about anywhere, if it's state land, just pitch a tent, although legally you need a permit. I've never got a permit tho.

Hi John,

long time no hear:looney: Sorry I caught this so late, I don't come around here much.... I kinda lost interest in the web wheeling thing :laugh: I've been working on an new 430 acre offroad land use project a couple hours due south of where you wanna fish, which has kept my free time occupied..

I you want to send me a snail mail addy I have some info I can send you regarding the fishing in that area.

Best Regards
JeffV

John B said:
Thanks Guys..

Jeff V....Vug...Scott Mac...Ted?

I realize my timeframe is a lil late for the best fishing, but hopefully i can do ok with deeper water.

Just looking for something different, want a loc other than Maine's North Woods or NH's White Mtn's.

I'm getting limited info from GORP.

Back