• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning a trip to Oregon - need help!

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey fellas. My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Oregon in late May/early June and need some help finding cool places to go. We will be starting in Sacramento, CA and will be heading up to the Bend, Oregon area via either I-5 or route 31. From Bend, we wish to make our way over to the Eugene area and then to the coast (Coos Bay/Tenmile Lake) and down 101 back into California.

We are looking for the 'must go' camping spots or day use areas along the way. Primitive/undeveloped/free camping is a huge plus, but popular campgrounds are cool too! We will be driving either a Civic or a full size pickup. Dirt roads are welcome but let's keep them mild. Areas with good fishing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, and hiking are a huge plus as well.

Any reccomendations?

Thanks in advance!

Lots of places off rt 6. Gales Creek, Jones creek. Big Eddie has a good paddle board spot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd highly recommend stopping in the Oakridge area since its on your way between Bend and Eugene. There are many nice reservoirs and some slow moving streams for SUP. Lots of hiking trails, and it's a mtn biking mecca, but still somehow very quiet. I'd camp at one of the two FS campgrounds at Hills Creek Reservoir. You have good access to town from there, but the CGs are lightly used, and you have water access.

there are a ton of great camping areas & a ton of lakes up here.
from eugene head east on 126 to get to bend. stop & camp along the mckenzie river & go rafting at belknap springs. its beautiful.

I would check out the redwoods, gold beach, drive through agness along the rogue river to grants pass. Head over to crater lake on your way to bend. In Bend my favorite place is Wickiup Reservoir for fishing but there are hundreds of places to fish there. Elk Lake has SUP rentals. Spend some time while your in Bend checking out a few breweries. Crux and 10 Barrel never disappoint. Hope you have a good trip.

If you make it further north... Check out the rocks of Cannon Beach and promenade of Seaside. Found a great place for lunch (not cheap) in Astoria: Buoy Beer Company.

Back