• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

California Legal Header?

XJ-Mayhem

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
What are my options for a “performance” Renix header in California? One that hopefully will reduce the chance of cracking too.

I’ve got a crack somewhere in the stock one I’m sure and I need a new O2, I figure I’ll do it all at once. Problem is I don’t know who/what I can get shipped to California

Dont go pacesetter .

There are no performance options for a Renix other than the Pacesetter. I used a Banks on my Renix after welding a bung for the EGR tube on it, but I also had to massage the 1 and 2 tubes to et it to clear the intake manifold. Total PIA but I made it work.

I was about to ask about it fitting Renix. Good to know. Unless I find a used Banks one then it's out of the budget.

What's wrong with the Pacesetters? Bad fittment?

What about just going OE style, is Dorman fine?

I was just looking for a tiny bit of pep if I could find it, and my understanding is with a Renix about all you can/worth doing is an exhaust/header, intake, and throttle body

Post specs of the rig please, talking about upgrades without your build is tough.

start with new plugs, cap, rotor, o2 sensor, and tps if you want more pep. Check for exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks, intake leaks, fix all of those.

if you are running bigger tires then regear your axles. If you have a ton of weight like cage, bumpers, winch, tire bumper, sliders, long arms etc gear it deeper to account for the weight.

You can search about the pacesetters tons of info on them. they dont like to seal at the head or at the collector. I had a ton of problems with mine. That being said, they are the only header for the renix. Id say its not worth it from my perspective. If you are building a stroker and have to have a renix header then maybe you can spend some time welding up a better collector flange setup for the pacesetter and use a quality gasket at the head.

Good point, I didn't mean to dive too deep on performance or I would have started the thread off with that. I just figured if I was replacing the manifold because it's cracked, and instead of wrestling what looks like the original O2 out of the header, I'd just replace both and if I could pickup a little more pep then why not.

It's a 90 Renix, I've done proper plugs, wires, cap and rotor look OK. I can hear an exhaust leak and I can smell a bad cat or bad O2. Supposedly previous owner replaced a head gasket. No idea if they got the head checked or decked, I doubt it.

Right now it's just got 31's and stock everything else. I'm staying cheap, junkyard/used for almost everything. I'm not doing a stroker.

I've made it through probably 1/3 of Cruiser's Renix list, I'll continue chipping away.

Here's my REM II dump

16-17 Hg of vacuum
12.8 Hg of MAP vacuum
1.6-1.8 V at MAP
30.0 Hg BARO
90* Water - 180 * Water - 210* Water
65* Air - 108* Air - 138* Air
13.5 Battery
13.8 V O2 Heater - 13.6 - 13.3
1.9-4.8 V Oxygen - 2.4 - 1.78
14.8-16.0 Air/Fuel - 14.9 - 14.7
Rich Exhaust - Rich - Rich
Closed Exhaust Loop - Open - Open
Off EGR - Off - Off
590-700 RPM idle - 590-650
116 IAC Turns - 109 - 64
17% Throttle
0.88 V Throttle
Closed TPS mode
5.6-6.0 Injector M/S - 5.8 - 5.5-6
0.6 Cold Enrich - 0.0 - 0.0
70-120 Short Term FT - 128 - 128
128 Long Term FT - 128 - 128
0 knock - 0 - 0
14-15* spark advance
0 retard

I have a Borla header on my 88, not sure if they still make those, CA legal. Make sure you take pics of your legal labels and stuff in case they fall off.

I smogged my 97 several times with whatever $100 ebay/amazon performance header i could find. I just always get some miles on them before i take it in. Never had a problem.

You also do not have EGR setup on your rig. That is the challenge since Renix requires EGR to function.

I smogged my 97 several times with whatever $100 ebay/amazon performance header i could find. I just always get some miles on them before i take it in. Never had a problem.

Back