• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumpers recommened for under 800$

Anybody have a pic with the JCR rear bumper with a hi lift and an CB ant. on the bumper there web site they say it comes with the stuff to mount both of them and could you pull a trailer with there 2in in the bumper i would think you could if your going to pull somebody out with it.

There is also Custom 4x4 Fabrication and C-Rok they all have nice looking bumpers

88-xj-laredo said:
Yea, its what I have, its a heavy bumper, weighs alot and its a thick bumper. Looks real nice too, well made.
My old C4x4 Trailblazer was nice, but it was huge and heavy. When I weighed it to be shipped to the guy that bought it, it was 97lbs. Holy crap. Add a winch to that and it's about 180lbs. The huge part - it sticks way out there, especially if you have a roller fairlead. I was always digging up dirt and and ground with it, but it is beef so don't worry about it.

I am personally a huge fan of the Protofab, i have the tubular, and my dad has the solid frame one, and they are both a very solid setup, and definatly a lot cheaper than most, you do have to paint them ur self, but big deal. the rear bumpers are also really affordable. and if you are in the military they will give a discount, which basically paid for my shipping. http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=05

philip_g said:
I have a nates 4x4 on order.
hey does he paint them or ship them in the buff?

Mine came with my name and address written on the bare bumper with yellow parts ink. I prepped and painted it with Herculiner. Something smooth would be a lot easier to keep clean.

philip_g said:
Figures.

Wonder what it would cost to have it powdercoated.

If you do any rock crawling and plan on the bumper actually being used DONT powdercoat it.............trust me I will cost about 100 or more and chip off the frst time you hit the bumper hard

paint is the best

rockwerks said:
If you do any rock crawling and plan on the bumper actually being used DONT powdercoat it.............trust me I will cost about 100 or more and chip off the frst time you hit the bumper hard

paint is the best

I thought that was the advantage of powder coating, that it bonds to the metal such that if hit it won't chip but rather bend with the metal. Guess not.

How did you prep it? Hit it with a wire brush and go? I was thinking some self etching primer and a few coats of rustoleum and I'm on my way.

It will to a very limited extent. As one customer said to me about his rockrails..."rocks don't care". You're right on track with the prep, go over it with a wire wheel if you want, but I'd suggest scuffing up the surface a bit with some 200 sandpaper or even a coarse scotchbrite pad. Wipe it down with any non-residue solvent such as acetone, xylene, brake cleaner and let it dry real good. Self etching primer is a VERY good choice as it adheres 100% better than regular primer, well worth it. Several light coats and then whatever for a topcoat.

philip_g said:
I thought that was the advantage of powder coating, that it bonds to the metal such that if hit it won't chip but rather bend with the metal. Guess not.

How did you prep it? Hit it with a wire brush and go? I was thinking some self etching primer and a few coats of rustoleum and I'm on my way.

even with the best prep it will still chip off, I tested it for years on my skidplates and rockrails..........different fromulas.........peening..........acid dips......etc paint still holds up just as good and 10,000 % easier to touch up

AJsArmor said:
It will to a very limited extent. As one customer said to me about his rockrails..."rocks don't care". You're right on track with the prep, go over it with a wire wheel if you want, but I'd suggest scuffing up the surface a bit with some 200 sandpaper or even a coarse scotchbrite pad. Wipe it down with any non-residue solvent such as acetone, xylene, brake cleaner and let it dry real good. Self etching primer is a VERY good choice as it adheres 100% better than regular primer, well worth it. Several light coats and then whatever for a topcoat.
x2. I used a self-etching on my super rails and it's done great. Just a few touch up sands and sprays after a good beating and [almost] as good as new.

rockwerks said:
even with the best prep it will still chip off, I tested it for years on my skidplates and rockrails..........different fromulas.........peening..........acid dips......etc paint still holds up just as good and 10,000 % easier to touch up
Huh, interesting.
I was always led to believe it was the end all be all for duability and looks. Guess not.

philip_g said:
While I'm at it, any suggestions for paint? Anything different looking than medium gloss rustoleum?

yeah satin LOL.......the primer is more important than the outer coat. Ive had great results with Krylon too

I use Duplacolor or 3M undercoat its made to go on to bare metal surfaces and it sticks very well and if you need to touch it up you just spray it on it has a little texture so it blends nice and it washes off nicely.

Last edited:
Back