• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built my exo cage this weekend... Opinions please!

So what if I run two tubes down by the b-pillar then attach them by an oh shit handle for the rear seat then run two tubes down the c-pillar about where the back of the rear seat would sit then attach them with two tubes forming an x would this make the cage strong enough to survive a rollover?

Here's what I did with mine, a couple more can be found here... http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a..._darling/Cage/

I would have loved to have more triangulation in there, but for my needs this is what I came up with. I have a wife and three kids plus all of our stuff when I go wheeling. I had to come up with a design that would give the most protection while still acommodating my load.

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

Yikes!Whats amazing is that you had a tubing bender but didn't know how (or even try)to use it! The 2-piece front hoop is a perfect example(that should have been an easy one).I can't even begin to imagine what that front tie-in is all about

Yikes!Whats amazing is that you had a tubing bender but didn't know how (or even try)to use it! The 2-piece front hoop is a perfect example(that should have been an easy one).I can't even begin to imagine what that front tie-in is all about

Dude he has stated that this is his first attempt. maybe his skills arent as good as yours, but he is willing to try, on his own. thats what counts. find another forum to flame on. we are here to help.

Dude he has stated that this is his first attempt. maybe his skills arent as good as yours, but he is willing to try, on his own. thats what counts. find another forum to flame on. we are here to help.
That's neither here nor there... Just because my skills at flying aren't all that great doesn't mean I should try it and get an A for effort. That exo cage is junk, and won't protect !@#$ in a rollover. Cages are one thing that shouldn't be allowed by our peers to be built like this, because cages give a false sense of security and tend to make people push the limits a bit further. Doing so with a cage like this is dangerous.

That's neither here nor there... Just because my skills at flying aren't all that great doesn't mean I should try it and get an A for effort. That exo cage is junk, and won't protect !@#$ in a rollover. Cages are one thing that shouldn't be allowed by our peers to be built like this, because cages give a false sense of security and tend to make people push the limits a bit further. Doing so with a cage like this is dangerous.

granted. i never said it was safe. but... it is going to be better than our stock unibody. you will have a hard time proving otherwise. but we have to support people around here and not shoot them down. he is trying... thats why he asked for opinions. he doesnt need people shooting him down. constructive critiscim sure. but he is trying. he asked for help. put your ego in check and help a rookie out... damn.

if you cant handle critisizm, gtfo my internets.
i too wondered why he did hokey straight pipe intersections, when they obviously have access to a bender.... the top of that d-pillar should invoke mandatory minimum sentancing....!!

first attempt is no excuse, i did my first cage about 6 months ago. just saying 'XXXX it' and installing it in an improper fashion is reckless, and lame. take the time to do it right, cages are safety equipment. you will tarnish the sport when you roll it and die.

I agree a bit with Jim and XCM. I don't want to knock the OP because he went for it and built something. Now I am no structural engineer, BUT, I have built a good bit of stuff and I have a fair amount of mechanical education and I have to say, that exocage adds little to strengthen or protect the body. I hope the OP can take his all as constructive criticism and perhaps come up with a design that both protects and strengthens the body of the vehicle.

The responses that I would like are how I can improve it to make it stronger, I want it to be safe, I used a friends tube bender and I was very limited on time. I know its currently not completely safe but that said it can be made to be safe. So if you think you wanna spat on me for the cage work don't waste the key strokes, if you wanna suggest ways I can make it strong enough to survive a roll over please do so.
Thanks

...if you wanna suggest ways I can make it strong enough to survive a roll over please do so.
Thanks

Without redoing most of what you've done... You need interior triangulation. It's been said. JohnD has a great example of what you need. In fact, I'm quite envious of his cage. With the way you have started building yours I would actually add a huge X behind the front seats.

While you're at it.... take about 3 inches out of pillar posts.

Also, order you some of those Tube end spikes to go in the open end of the roof tube that runs along the drip rail. :) Impale you some birds.

The responses that I would like are how I can improve it to make it stronger, I want it to be safe, I used a friends tube bender and I was very limited on time. I know its currently not completely safe but that said it can be made to be safe. So if you think you wanna spat on me for the cage work don't waste the key strokes, if you wanna suggest ways I can make it strong enough to survive a roll over please do so.
Thanks

im the boss of my fingers, not you.
the top of that d-pillar should invoke mandatory minimum sentancing....!!

translation, re-do the d-pillar work. that is constructive.

also, since your buddy is such an awesome welder, lets see some pics!, thats a bold statement. all your interior work (or lack thereof) is the important stuff, and you conveniently did not post pics of the interior. like has been said, if it's a pure exo, with nothing inside, dont flop it over 5mph... or hard...

get some THICKskin dude, fabrication isnt for girls, and we wont hold your hand and say good job. and if the guy is your friend, why cant you get more time on the bender?

Lack of time with the bender is due to the fact that he had to take the jeep on a roadtrip to where the guy is. He had one weekend to do what he could. Not exactally what I would picture but he did say he had more tube to finish off what needs done. That would be why he asked if he should use the material to gusset the outside or for internal bracing.

i say this again, lets see your fab work.
=)
this time, save the excuses.

Dude this isn't Pirate and it isn't in Advanced Fab. Calm yourself, he asked for advice not to be flamed by "an awesome fabricator, in control of his own fingers".

i say this again, lets see your fab work.
=)
this time, save the excuses.

I don't have any excuses. I don't have thousands to drop on a good welder, plasma cutter, torch and all the other stuff needed. You get on here and act like you know all there is to know but I haven't seen a thing you have done. Yeah , my Jeep has a lot of bolt-ons but for what it is it does well. It will do better once I swap in the axles sitting and lift sitting in my garage. Just because you can fab doesn't mean your jeep is better than mine, so get off your damn high horse.

Lack of time with the bender is due to the fact that he had to take the jeep on a roadtrip to where the guy is. He had one weekend to do what he could. Not exactally what I would picture but he did say he had more tube to finish off what needs done. That would be why he asked if he should use the material to gusset the outside or for internal bracing.

And I can just pay this guy to help me out!

Yeah its about 380 miles from my place to his buddy's place and Georgetown, KY is 140 miles from me.

watch out flexdXJ... his e-penis is bigger.

to the OP, i have seen john D's cage first hand. it is very stout. trying to incorporate his ideas would be in your best interest. i dont have any fab skills, and i dont have a whole lot of experience. but by simply thinking critically i would imagine that internal bracing would help the structural integrity of the build. without internal bracing all you have holding the roof to your "cage" up is 4 pillars that the weight of the vehicle will surely crush. do not let the cage be a false sense of security.

Last edited:
What no popcorn smiley

:D

Back