• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an "Adventure XJ"

Do you plan on going bigger tires, and doing rock crawling? If not, then bigger gears may be overkill. Just my .02.

Yeah, our Kelty is incredible. Would buy from again A+++++

Okay, so I got lazy and didn't read the whole thing...

Besty - The OEM carrier isn't really more trouble than at least a Custom 4x4. While the 4x4 can swing easier the OEM carrier has a MUCH easier latch. I'd just rock the OEM carrier if you're going to 31's, even 33's if the clearance doesn't bother you. Just take the hinges apart (big TORX screw acts as the pin), clean the up and lube them well, then use a fat washer on the outside to beef them up (search, it's out there).

Do you plan on going bigger tires, and doing rock crawling? If not, then bigger gears may be overkill. Just my .02.

Yeah, our Kelty is incredible. Would buy from again A+++++

well its hurting my mileage big time. i noticed it huge. im hoping gears will help with that.

i may go up to 32s and do a bit of trimming. thats partially why i want gears.

Okay, so I got lazy and didn't read the whole thing...

Besty - The OEM carrier isn't really more trouble than at least a Custom 4x4. While the 4x4 can swing easier the OEM carrier has a MUCH easier latch. I'd just rock the OEM carrier if you're going to 31's, even 33's if the clearance doesn't bother you. Just take the hinges apart (big TORX screw acts as the pin), clean the up and lube them well, then use a fat washer on the outside to beef them up (search, it's out there).

thanks G. thats what i had read. i think thats what ill do. hopefully itll make the latch a lot quieter. i need to make a bumpstop for the hatch so it doesnt ruin it.

thanks G. thats what i had read. i think thats what ill do. hopefully itll make the latch a lot quieter. i need to make a bumpstop for the hatch so it doesnt ruin it.

For the bumper check the yard, they were equipped with approximately 1" x 2" bumpers from the factory (that mated with the stud that should have a rubber bumper on it on the tire carrier).

As for the latch being noisy I never slammed it, I'd always close it by pulling the latch. I mainly did this because mine was noisy due to being a bit out of alignment, I just dealt with it as it didn't make much difference to me.

For the bumper check the yard, they were equipped with approximately 1" x 2" bumpers from the factory (that mated with the stud that should have a rubber bumper on it on the tire carrier).

As for the latch being noisy I never slammed it, I'd always close it by pulling the latch. I mainly did this because mine was noisy due to being a bit out of alignment, I just dealt with it as it didn't make much difference to me.

yea i think mine is a bit out of alignment.

i looked last time we were there, to no avail. i will have to look again when i go. but i think that i should be able to conjur something up to work.

i looked last time we were there, to no avail.

Make sure to look at Jeeps that don't have tire carriers. I've seen a lot of early XJs that originally had tire carriers that were missing them (either plucked or had fallen off somewhere in the years) that still had rubber bumpers.

Make sure to look at Jeeps that don't have tire carriers. I've seen a lot of early XJs that originally had tire carriers that were missing them (either plucked or had fallen off somewhere in the years) that still had rubber bumpers.

will do.

thanks bro!

i tried to find a gas tank skid but they pulled em all off.

They don't pull the skids in the Wilmington yards, they'll usually just puncture the tanks through the holes in the skids. I've also been seeing more and more skid equipped XJs in yards (but been too lazy to pull them and sell 'em!)

They don't pull the skids in the Wilmington yards, they'll usually just puncture the tanks through the holes in the skids. I've also been seeing more and more skid equipped XJs in yards (but been too lazy to pull them and sell 'em!)

we only went to the ecology here. there was nothing.

before you go next time could you send me a PM and maybe you pick up a gas skid and t-case skid, ill pay you for them and for your time. let me know if thats an option.

i think stock skids will be more then sufficient for what i wanna do. i already have tow hooks and the front and it did help when i went into the santa ana mountains...

i love reviving old threads. well not really. but this is the purpose of my heep. so i thought id bring it back. ill be at 33" km2's, 3.5 re, locked rear. and thats prolly it. wont ever wheel/camp alone. so i dont feet a winch is necessary for a while. though it will be nice one day. the amenities will be different. kinda. gas cooker, tent cot, 0 degree mummy bag, food, emergency kit, first aid kit, couple changes of clothes, thermals. and some other odds and ends. ill also be running with no rear seat. i have no need for it. so ill be all storage in back. ill figure out if i want a roof rack sometime in the next couple months. just depends. but i love this thread, happens to be my favorite

Get ready to do some hacking on those fenders running 33s on a 3.5. You will also need to regear. I've been running 31's on a RE 3.5 inch lift for a few years now. Finally regeared to 4.10s and put ARB lockers front and rear - drives ENTIRELY different.

I too have the KM2s in 31s. Best tire I have owned yet for multiple surfaces.

i plan on cuttin it up, dont worry about that. but im pretty sure for the wheelin i do(semi mild but frequent) the 3.55's will do just fine. eventually ill be doing a doubler though. just cause i can :)

Interesting re-reading through this thread... thought i'd bring it back for updated opinions and possibly new info.

Me personally, i'm about to start the teardown on my XJ and start a new project.. but it wont be an XJ. :eek:

Me too.

The Chrysler CEO announced that the 2012 JK's will have a 295 HP V6.

Soon as they will take orders I will be putting mine in for a desert tan, six speed Sahara.

I thought you were waiting on the diesel? Cool either way, any plans for an AT Habitat?.. so sweet.

Hey John, I hope you continue this thread with updates of your new build.

I'll do a build thread...

Me too.

The Chrysler CEO announced that the 2012 JK's will have a 295 HP V6.

Soon as they will take orders I will be putting mine in for a desert tan, six speed Sahara.
your rig is so beautiful. please dont tear it apart.

infact.. name a price.. sometimes dreams come true:thumbup:

I thought you were waiting on the diesel? Cool either way, any plans for an AT Habitat?.. so sweet.

yeah that A/T habitat is cool as hell however I think we are about done sleeping in enclosures with soft sides. For some reason we can't go anywhere without the wind blowing 50 mph. I don't know if God hates me or if it's Global warming or maybe that God hates that I don't believe in global warming but I think we are going to sell the trailer and buy a teardrop.

You gonna have enough sleeping acreage for the family in a teardrop? Or maybe your considering the prototype shown at Expo?

Perhaps a hardsided offroad popup? I like some of the builds that have been seen lately. I think Stump mentioned he may be going that direction this time around.

Back