• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an "Adventure XJ"

I'll cut you guys some slack because the thread title is "Building an Adventure XJ", not "How to Have an Adventure with my XJ". You can take years spending money and building your Jeep. You can debate till the end of time what works better for an "Adventure XJ". Or you can go and do some backcountry exploration yourselves and figure out what shortcomings your Cherokee has that needs to be addressed for your kind of exploring.

Check out the ultimate "Adventure XJ". Jared has explored more backcountry roads on 31's and open diffs than most of us will in a lifetime. Much of the time he is by himself.
orig.jpg

If your goal is to have adventures I would suggest to save your money, make sure your Jeep has all maintenance issues addressed and go out and do it. A stock Cherokee will take you to most of the places in America worth driving to.

An Adventure XJ becomes one thanks to the places it has taken you. It is not a garage bound money pit that keeps you too broke to actually take a vacation.

Well said Alex.

My buddy has a Canvass Back on his Tacoma, he loves it.

Ditto CB + Ham. Actually I would strongly suggest getting your General ham license so you can get on HF. Then you really can reach somebody pretty much 24/7 no matter where in the heck you are. Or get a sat phone, although you'll be stuck if society crumbles while your out. Also a high-gain cell phone antenna isn't a bad idea, it can dramatically improve your coverage. As long as we're talking about comms, a signal mirror is also a really good idea. EPIRBs are illegal to use on-shore, but lots of people use them anyway. If you are dying in the wilderness it's better to get picked up and fined than left to die.

Focus on emergency situations first. First aid, survival, rescue.

As far as suspension and driveline its pretty much up to you and what kind of roads you want to tackle. I would avoid any mod that might decrease reliability.

I have a custom roof basket that runs almost the whole length and width of the roof, I can fit a ton of crap up there, and it's so strong I can jump on it.

If money were no object I'd get some kind of custom shaped stainless steel water tank and purification system. And I'd def pull out the back seats and convert that space into some sort of storage compartment.

I've seen oversized gas tanks for XJs, a 30 gal tank would really increase your range.

Check out what the Aussies do, they go long distances over hostile but not extraordinarily rugged terrain.

Speaking of increasing your fuel tank size, Go Jeep has a write-up about raising the fill tube and increasing the size of the tank.

I'll cut you guys some slack because the thread title is "Building an Adventure XJ", not "How to Have an Adventure with my XJ". You can take years spending money and building your Jeep. You can debate till the end of time what works better for an "Adventure XJ". Or you can go and do some backcountry exploration yourselves and figure out what shortcomings your Cherokee has that needs to be addressed for your kind of exploring.

Check out the ultimate "Adventure XJ". Jared has explored more backcountry roads on 31's and open diffs than most of us will in a lifetime. Much of the time he is by himself.
orig.jpg

If your goal is to have adventures I would suggest to save your money, make sure your Jeep has all maintenance issues addressed and go out and do it. A stock Cherokee will take you to most of the places in America worth driving to.

An Adventure XJ becomes one thanks to the places it has taken you. It is not a garage bound money pit that keeps you too broke to actually take a vacation.

I agree completely, I wasn't trying to turn this into a tech thread. I do enjoy modding my Jeep as well as using it. That being said there are few trails I have been on where I did not encounter or been with a completely stock 4x4. It really is all about getting out and having fun.

I agree completely, I wasn't trying to turn this into a tech thread. I do enjoy modding my Jeep as well as using it. That being said there are few trails I have been on where I did not encounter or been with a completely stock 4x4. It really is all about getting out and having fun.

Wait, isn't the idea of this thread to talk about mods and tech related to building an "adventure xj"?

Yes after reading the first post again I believe it is. The difference for me is I am not building a "Adventure XJ" from stock. I am trying to turn my existing crawler in to one. So I guess what I was really trying to say is that alot of the mods done on my rig are not ones that I would say are absolutely nessasary or even things I would do again. But I don't think having an over built drive train and a whole lot of armor is a bad thing. Personally if I where starting over I would focus more on safty provisions and modding the weak points on a stock Xj. No dout I would eventually install a quality lift with 31 to 33" tires and I would set up some kind of winching system, on board air, selectable lockers and GPS. I am sure of couse I would do other mods as time went on. I believe what Handlebars was trying to say is the best "Adventure XJ" is one that is being used and I think we can all agree on that. As far as "having a garage bound money pit that keeps you too broke to actually take a vacation". Well thats just stupid to assume to know so much about someone you don't know anything about.

As far as "having a garage bound money pit that keeps you too broke to actually take a vacation". Well thats just stupid to assume to know so much about someone you don't know anything about.

I don't think he was talking about anyone in specific, just seeing as some have XJ's sitting around much of the tie awaiting repair or modification... its a general assumption.

that being said, last year I took my XJ out for a winter camping session on my own to a site I found while out fishing with a buddy earlier in the year. Almost 2' of snow, without a locker/33's I wouldn't have made it, but getting there and not being able to get back safely makes no sense.

if your going somewhere and you need this vehicle to get there, ensure others know where your going, and can get to you "just in case". and give them a time to come looking for you if your not in contact with them by. the expedition is one thing, getting back safe and sound is another.

wheel what you have for now, learn what you need while your out there.
worry about crossing a bit of water = snorkel as next mod
worried about going into some mud = better tires or winch or lockers
no room in the back = roof rack or tire carrier or better storage solution inside

I learned on my trip that my XJ was great, but you go winter camping and you expect -5C... still pack for -30C cause it sucks when it dips that low and your wearing cold wet weather boots instead of mukluks!

this is pretty much exactly what im building my XJ for.

current i have a 3.5 rubicon express super ride with new leafs
bfg a/ts 31x10.50x15
HID conversion in headlights
hella 500s on front bumper
oem rear tire carrier
tow hooks
front skid
and a few other small mods

next on my list of things to do are:
aussie front locker
4.10s
auburn LSD with 29 spline conversion in rear to maintain daily driveability
a bit more protection (oem skid plates)
ajs bumpers and winch

i am doing research on tents and sleeping bags and etc and which ones to get.

for now i have only done day trips as i am not 100% comfortable being out over night with no CB or HAM or anything like that. but i will soon get there.

Sounds like you are going to have a pretty solid setup. I'd say for an Adventure rig, that's probably about as much as you'll need. Any more than that, and I think you'll just be adding weight w/o any real Adventure "improvement".

Hows that OEM tire carrier holding up to a 31" tire?

im running a 30 on it, because that the size spare i have. i intend on putting a 31 on it, idk how well it'll hold up. its heavy with the 30 and its a PITA to swing, and honestly im not 100% happy with it.

but i think i might switch to the AJs rear bumper with the gerry can on it.

Is is a PITA because it swings open, or because of the OEM design?

oem design. it feels incredibly heavy. i mean i haven't ever seen or opened a different one in person. but this thing is a heavy mother to swing open.

and closing it it makes a whole bunch of noise. there has to be a better solution.

The custom bumper+tire carriers must be much nicer. I've never heard of anyone complain of those symptoms with aftermarket.

Is it all lubed up, or are the internals just clankety?

i havent really tried to lube it up. thats a good idea. maybe ill hit it with some when i get home.

its more when it latches its all clankety and loud. its also really heavy for my wife. she wont even swing it open.

the aftermarket ones have to be better.

i was thinking that. i was also thinking about putting a washer or two on there to help it stay level. that might be something that could help.

i was told with a bigger tire to use washers to cause it to level out.

I heard that an OEM tire carrier can support at tire up to 31" with no problems.

However, having it level never hurts.

I think unless you are doing hard rock crawling, regearing may not be that big of a deal if you have lockers. I'm sure they'd help some, but may only be a minimal increase. May wanna ask around some and see what the consensus is. You sure would save a ton of $$ to put into other mods.

Oh, see if Kelty has any tents that suit your needs. I have a Kelty and it's badass.

I think unless you are doing hard rock crawling, regearing may not be that big of a deal if you have lockers. I'm sure they'd help some, but may only be a minimal increase. May wanna ask around some and see what the consensus is. You sure would save a ton of $$ to put into other mods.

Oh, see if Kelty has any tents that suit your needs. I have a Kelty and it's badass.

well i already have the rear gears, im just saving for lockers so i can do it all at once.

and thanks for kelty...thats the brand name i was looking for. lolz

Back