• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an "Adventure XJ"

Yes I agree totaly I forgot about the cb....I also carry FSR/GSM aradios they are crazy cheep and becoming more popular for 4x4ing and they are handy when the wife takes a hike while fixing something on the trail...

casm said:
Agreed, but with a slight difference: have both the CB and ham rig.

Most ham radios won't let you get to the 11-metre band that CB operates in, but there are a lot of people out there with only CB radios. Given that you may not always be able to hit a repeater or other ham user, the CB's at least another option - and since most folks on the trails are still using CB, it makes sense to at least have it as a backup.

Sting25 said:
Yes I agree totaly I forgot about the cb....I also carry FSR/GSM aradios they are crazy cheep and becoming more popular for 4x4ing and they are handy when the wife takes a hike while fixing something on the trail...

FRS and GMRS radios are great for short-range communication, but have a few drawbacks:

FRS radios are limited to a maximum of 500mW power at the key, and must have fixed antennas. Since you can't change the antenna (arguably the most important component of any radio), if the manufacturer cheaped out on it you'll lose a great deal of potential effectiveness. The relatively low power outputs can compound this problem, along with terrain. FRS is also becoming as much of a conversational cesspit as CB is given the ubiquity of the radios.

GMRS requires a licence. It's a no-test mail-in, usually included in the package, and IIRC it's around $80 for five years. Enforcement of non-licensed radios is pretty lax, but there have been a couple of cases where unlicensed operators have been prosecuted. This was typically after sustained abuse of licensed GMRS repeaters, however. Also bear in mind that the seven simplex GMRS channels are shared with FRS, so if you're using the radios anywhere near a concentration of FRS users your non-repeater channels are going to be crowded with the same traffic.

Note that I'm not knocking them - I think that creating these services is one of the few useful things the FCC has done in the last 30 years or so, and they're extremely useful things to be able to avail of.

One other option (but good luck finding radios that support it): MURS, the Multi-Use Radio Service. It's a five-channel, two-watt, simplex-only service running in about the 150MHz band. Despite being licence-free it never really caught on in any big way, so is generally pretty uncrowded - but your chances of finding someone to relay a message in an emergency are pretty small. The signals typically cope better in rough terrain than FRS, but don't penetrate buildings, etc. as well. You can, however, connect an external antenna to it in order to improve transmission and reception. For more info, there's a pretty good FAQ here.

Sting25 said:
I am thinking about taking the rear seat out of mine and adding a platfor so I store some extra stuff like tent and axle shafts etc..

Just a quick comment on that suggestion - for a real simple, quick platform:

. . . a few years back before yet another cross country trip I hit a bone yard and snagged an extra rear seat back. Strip all the upholstery off of it and cut a thin piece of plywood to match the shape on the backside, screw it on the frame (and some polyurethane to seal it), add a wooden collar on the under side to match the hump (or a couple of small legs on each side) and fold down to have a perfect fitting, sturdy flat floor - rear hatch to front seats. Plus a neat little storage bin underneath. - held a couple of axle shafts and other odds and ends with ease.

Need your real rear seat again? Just pull the locking lever, take out the platform and slot in the original seat back and cushions. Going on a trip? reverse the procedure. Easy, quick, and convenient.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Again, I apologize for reviving a dead thread, but its incredibly ironic that I ran across this thread tonight.

I spent the entire 45 minute ride to work this morning thinking about how cool it would be to turn my 87 MJ into an adventure rig. Here is the list I came up with.

Rebuilt 4.0 HO in place of the Renix
D44/30 with selectable ARB lockers
OBA with a tank large enough to run tools
4" lift with 32 M/Ts 4.56 gears
Heavy duty winch bumper and winch / heavy duty rear bumper with swing out tire carrier.(maybe rear winch too)
Rock sliders
Some good roof top and bumper mount lights
Heavy duty alternator
CB, GPS, and sat. radio for tunes
Gas and water cans mounted to the sides or rear.

And I'd have a bed cover similar to this:
1186598071355_p1_15.jpg

All the tools/gear/parts/supplies could go in boxes and compartments underneath.

Then, maybe something like this could go on top of the cover to make a tent like shelter for sleeping.
Black_softopperup.jpg

black_softopper_down.jpg

Hey, I can always dream, right:yelclap:

Man, one trip out wheeling and you got the bug bad... :yelclap:

I like your plans, i considered an MJ before redoing my XJ awhile back.

You have a shortbed right? Might be a tad tight using the bed area as a sleeping quarters. Theres a product called a flippac that you might find interesting. www.flippac.com This is the same product used in the Earthromer XV-JP.

Another option could be a can-back, like in your second pic.

www.adventuretrailers.com There are some cool pics of Mario's MJ here, take a look.

Check out www.expeditionportal.com I have been learning alot from this site.

Sorry Overland I know you are allready on the expedition portal alot. I just posted it up for others that a getting curious about building more of an expedition type vehicle and planning trips. I actually just found the Portal myself last week. I am currently in process of toning my Xj down a bit and making set up better for expedition runs. It will still be a more than capable crawler though. In fact I just ordered the last one peice design Hannibal Xj rack in the US. I just wanted to say how cool it is to see some XJ's being built for this purpose. Give some of those Toyota and Land cruiser guys something to think about. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I will go back to lurking now.

Sorry Overland I know you are allready on the expedition portal alot. I just posted it up for others that a getting curious about building more of an expedition type vehicle and planning trips. I actually just found the Portal myself last week. I am currently in process of toning my Xj down a bit and making set up better for expedition runs. It will still be a more than capable crawler though. In fact I just ordered the last one peice design Hannibal Xj rack in the US. I just wanted to say how cool it is to see some XJ's being built for this purpose. Give some of those Toyota and Land cruiser guys something to think about. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I will go back to lurking now.

Nothing wrong with mentioning EXPO, great site with some very experienced people.

Those Hannibal racks sure are nice, you'll have to post up one you get it mounted.

Please post as often as you like, no need to lurk. I'd like to see this board get a bit more active. I'll finally be camping (Thanksgiving) with my XJ for the 1st time in 1.5 years, looking forward to it and trying out some new stuff.

LOL, my Xj has sat in the garage of my new house for two years now. I am finally to a point now that I can get a front axle back under it. In the process I have decided to drop her down a bit and put 33's back on and make it a little more streetabe rig as well as focusing more on expidition type runs. With 33's, Dana 44's, hydro assist, and a Atlas 3.8:1 it will be a little over built. But there is nothing wrong with that.

I have done 27 days worth of Jeep touring this year. So far. My advice is to keep it simple and bring less stuff. This is as loaded down as my Cherokee ever gets, camping two up in unimproved backcountry sites:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Having a drawer helps things stay organized though.
orig.jpg

When I am by myself it gets really easy. I just sleep in my hammock or on the ground if the weather is nice. If it is blowing or raining I sleep in the back.

I have done 27 days worth of Jeep touring this year. So far. My advice is to keep it simple and bring less stuff. This is as loaded down as my Cherokee ever gets, camping two up in unimproved backcountry sites:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Having a drawer helps things stay organized though.
orig.jpg

When I am by myself it gets really easy. I just sleep in my hammock or on the ground if the weather is nice. If it is blowing or raining I sleep in the back.

Yeah I am not very good at keeping it simple though. I know the resoning, but I can't help wanting to build up a trailer and mounting roof top tent on it. What drawer set up is that ? It looks real nice.

I think a locker would be necessary for an adventure rig. Moreso than a lift.

Yes lockers I would say are a must. I would recomend selectable lockers. I currently have a Detroit in the rear and just ordered an ARB for the front. I will evetually be replacing the rear with an ARB as well. Selectable is a very good option for very slick conditions.

There are some good responses here so far. I like the idea of going moderate with the 31" tires, but I might opt for 33"s and MTs for those hard to reach places.

Other than that, I'd make room for a good woman and some decent red wine.

I'm running 31's with 4.5" lift. I know a lot of people have an obsession with filling up the space with a bigger tire, but my 31's really tuck up with no trimming.

2912748185_9ffd203070.jpg

Last edited:
I'll cut you guys some slack because the thread title is "Building an Adventure XJ", not "How to Have an Adventure with my XJ". You can take years spending money and building your Jeep. You can debate till the end of time what works better for an "Adventure XJ". Or you can go and do some backcountry exploration yourselves and figure out what shortcomings your Cherokee has that needs to be addressed for your kind of exploring.

Check out the ultimate "Adventure XJ". Jared has explored more backcountry roads on 31's and open diffs than most of us will in a lifetime. Much of the time he is by himself.
orig.jpg

If your goal is to have adventures I would suggest to save your money, make sure your Jeep has all maintenance issues addressed and go out and do it. A stock Cherokee will take you to most of the places in America worth driving to.

An Adventure XJ becomes one thanks to the places it has taken you. It is not a garage bound money pit that keeps you too broke to actually take a vacation.

Back