• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Suggestions.

freedom1st

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ that was my DD until I blew a hole the size of a grapefruit in the block. Now my former DD is a project jeep that I want to turn into an overlander for camping vacations and such. So it needs to bebeefy enough for moderate off roading, but I don't plan on crawling with it. Since I have to completely replace the engine, I'm looking for ideas on what would be good swaps to make to meet my overlander goals? Should I go with a v8 swap? stick with the I6? Maybe a diesel swap? I'd love to hear from anyone who has made a swap and can give me some pros and cons from experience.

LS swap! If you have the money it is the way to go.
Buy a totaled car with the engine you want from copart. Comes with everything you need from intake to exhaust to the gas pedal. Buy the Novak mounts, fuel regulator, transfer case adapter, and radiator.
It really isn’t that bad. If you don’t care about your gauges it is super easy. If you want your XJ gauge cluster to work it will take some more time for wiring.

I did a 6.2l L99 (LS3) with a 6l80 transmission from a camero and I have no regrets!
You will at least triple your horse power and torque and double your fuel economy. Plus it is just plain fun to have a powerful motor in your XJ.

No replacement for displacement, but for simplicity can't beat the 4.0. Tdi swaps are gaining popularity and failry easy. All really depends on how much you want to spend along with your time and available resources.

I have the luxury of time not money, but because I have time, money can be worked out. Honestly, I love the 4.0, but the gas mileage, not so much. If I can get better mpgs, I won't complain. I'd love an engine that is easy to get parts for, so a chevy motor would work. If i went LS swap, which LS is best for the swap?

Any LS will fit and will be more or less the same process to instal.
For the hood to close without modifications you will want an engine from a car rather than a truck, so a camero, transam, or corvette. Or just get an intake from a car and use a truck motor. That is the great thing about all the gen III+ Chevy engines, they are largely interchangeable.
An LS1 will be plenty of power. Believe me, an LS3 is overkill. Fun, but overkill.
Novak conversions has a ton of information about swapping these and other engines into XJs.

Back