• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BPI Fab front bumper

Eagle said:
See thread "MORE Plagiarism" on Non-Tech

Didn't see anything in Non-Tech about it. Talk about the price, over at PS they now want $600 something for it. :scared:

-Mike

Big Jeep 101 said:
Didn't see anything in Non-Tech about it. Talk about the price, over at PS they now want $600 something for it.
I've asked a few times without an answer; and since I haven't been shopping I don't have prices to compare. Whose prices haven't gone up in hte last six months to a year? Poison Spyder also has added a steering brace to the bumper as well, so you're going to see some price increases because of that. So, whose steel prices haven't gone up?

I paid just over 400 for my BPI(RIP) bumber....I wonder if the price increase is in direct correlation with the increase in steel demand in China. Since those tariffs have been lifted steel prices have gone through the roof. I would watch for price increases to trickle down to just about everything as soon as most companies run out of back stock and have to purchase new inventory.

DorkAlert said:
I paid just over 400 for my BPI(RIP) bumber....I wonder if the price increase is in direct correlation with the increase in steel demand in China. Since those tariffs have been lifted steel prices have gone through the roof. I would watch for price increases to trickle down to just about everything as soon as most companies run out of back stock and have to purchase new inventory.

I understand the increase in steel prices being transferred back to the customers. But $200 worth?

-Mike

Yeah..kind of suspicious...maybe they think the bumpers are way too cool for consumers...

Drunk tank said:
BPI is still making the bumpers.... but they do not sell to public. Theyre supplying them to Poison Spyder now and then they are the ones selling them. The bumpers have a few new items on em as you can see from the http://www.poisonspidercustoms.com/ BUT! As with most things where a middle man is thrown in.... PS has jacked the price WAY up! For the new additions to the bumper, the price was was raised far too much and IMHO is no longer worth it. I love mine, but I got em when they were still young. The build quality is excellent though. BPI has always done alot of stuff for PS according to the guys at BPI when i visited their shop. Making all their bumpers and stuff even before this business deal took place. Now, I'd suggest AJ's bumpers http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/ From what I've heard from other with them, they are a great product, very customizable, and have a very reasonable price. If I need to ever get new front and rears, thats where I'll be going (unless I have a plasma cutter by then) ;)

AJ has great products! Highly Recomend!I have one on order from him, but won't be getting it for a couple of months, as he had an accident and is backed up! I was just looking for something cheap till then and BPI was a great price for the product! Damn that sux they had to go and merge with them!

As far as the steel price increase goes, it's completely legit. I work in the trade and all the trade mags have features on it every month. Since September 03, steel prices for my company have risen a combined 71%. On the 27th, prices across the board from 4 of our supliers went up 10.2% due to China's most recent bid for our scrap. They are paying almost double what any other country is paying for scrap, and they are shipping it all the way around the world. Most other scrap-supplying countries have banned export to China, so that made a lot of things worse earlier this year. And don't forget about welding supplies...if raw steel prices go up, so does wire and rod. And everyone works percentages, so it what used to be $100 worth of steel now costs $150, the seller has to keep his % markup the same, but now it is on a larger number. At work, we have to resubmit bids every 30 days now to keep in line with steel price so we don't lose our ass when we get the contract.

On-topic for a moment...BPI makes terrific products. Anyone who has seen one first-hand will most likely be impressed. The price is a kicker, but the bumper may very well help save your life or aid in extraction someday. And it probably will last a real long time. Longer than 2 sets of tires, which might cost about the same or more $$. Something to think about.

-Rich

Yeah BPI bumpers are awsome. It sucks that the price went up so much because Poison Spyder is selling them now. I got my bare metal winchless BPI front bumper last september for $287.00 & $50.00 shipping. I have since modified the bumper to hold a Warn M8000 without losing any approach angle the d ring mounts stick out more than the hawse fairlead.
DVC00040.jpg

DVC00041.jpg

DVC00039.jpg

DVC00043.jpg

I run the BPI bumper. I lost my brakes the other day and totaled a Ford Explorer. I cracked the plastic on my grill. They are definately built tough.

Mine was actually the first one they built. I saw it at their shop and bought it on the spot.

I'd suggest the Carolina Rock Shop- www.carolinarockshop.com if you're looking for a good bumper without the PS sticker shock. They'll build you one as simple as the first BPI one or something much more elaborate and it'll sure as hell be cheaper than what PS is charging for their slightly altered BPIs. They're getting a lot bigger but the prices are still better than any others I've seen. Check out their website or their plug in the New Bumper section in September's Four Wheeler mag. I dont think prices are listed on the website, but call them up and they can give you a quote since most of their bumpers are custom built to whatever you need.

Colorado_XJ said:
As far as the steel price increase goes, it's completely legit. I work in the trade and all the trade mags have features on it every month. Since September 03, steel prices for my company have risen a combined 71%. On the 27th, prices across the board from 4 of our supliers went up 10.2% due to China's most recent bid for our scrap. They are paying almost double what any other country is paying for scrap, and they are shipping it all the way around the world. Most other scrap-supplying countries have banned export to China, so that made a lot of things worse earlier this year. And don't forget about welding supplies...if raw steel prices go up, so does wire and rod. And everyone works percentages, so it what used to be $100 worth of steel now costs $150, the seller has to keep his % markup the same, but now it is on a larger number. At work, we have to resubmit bids every 30 days now to keep in line with steel price so we don't lose our ass when we get the contract.

On-topic for a moment...BPI makes terrific products. Anyone who has seen one first-hand will most likely be impressed. The price is a kicker, but the bumper may very well help save your life or aid in extraction someday. And it probably will last a real long time. Longer than 2 sets of tires, which might cost about the same or more $$. Something to think about.

-Rich

No offense Rich, but in the case of PS pricing compared to BPI......BS. There isn't $100 worth of steel in that bumper to start out with before the price increases. I'm bummed to see BPI not sell direct to the public with their XJ bumpers because they are an excellent product. Looks like a case of someone wanting a nice fat markup on it just for their name. :gag:

I've looked at both the MORE and the Hanson, and my brother used to have the MORE. He switched to RIGID's and very happy. Check them out!

www.rigidco.com

Fantastic designs and very well built.

I got the BPI bumpers for front and rear for about $600 a set over a year ago.
Tim at BPI threw in the corner armor for free because he heard I was pitching the bumpers.
I think that BPI is now only selling the XJ bumper to Poison Spider, which is a bummer, because they are raping Jeepers.
I would go with the Hanson if I had to do it again, as I think it is the best match of style and strength.
My $.03

AJ,

I get your point. I used the $100 just as a round number, not as anything "real". Anyway, the steel business is a mess right now. The supplier charges more, the distributor tacks on more, the fabricator adds on more, and by the time the end-user sees the same product, he is paying way more than the price increase should effect it. I am not saying the end user is going to see the same percentage increase as the distibutor (as they should). Crappy as it is, the truth is that the price increase almost doubles our end-product pricing on ornamental items. No ofense taken, BTW! :kissyou:

What was the reason BPI "folded" in the consumer market anyway? May very well be that the product was good enough to catch PS's eye and they bought them out for it. So, yup..sounds like someone gouging the 4-wheeler.

Oh, here's a crappy example of steel prices trickling down to the consumer...our local gas supplier sent a memo outlining a potential price increase on unusual items that are related to the steel mayhem. This list included oddball items such as gas bottles (made of steel after all) they are purchasing to resupply failed units, which means higher lease rates for bottles. These are nasty times we are living in, and AFAIK, the prices will rise clear into next quarter.

-Rich

GAdawg said:
I got the last one BPI sold to the public and haven't painted it yet but they are sweet. Highly recommend.

How do you recommend buying something that isn't sold anymore?
Have a nice day, rethinking your post.
:shhh:

Last edited:
GAdawg said:
I got the last one BPI sold to the public and haven't painted it yet but they are sweet. Highly recommend.

So when are you gonna get that thing on? :D

It was good wheelin w/ ya at CJ. Incase you've forgotten, I was tailgunner guide on Trail G with ya....

BajaXJ92 said:
So when are you gonna get that thing on? :D

It was good wheelin w/ ya at CJ. Incase you've forgotten, I was tailgunner guide on Trail G with ya....

I know I need to get it together and put the bumpers on. No one I've seen yet has the grill gaurd for the front but I got it and need to get some pics up. I'm slow with painting! Thanks again for the great ride, hopefully i'll catch you in person again next year.

Back