• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein or Fox

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am looking into the Bilstein 7100 or the Fox remote resevour shocks that they make for the TJ front. Is anyone running the Fox shocks and how do they work. Also can you get the 7100 with standard bushings in them. I am trying to control some body roll and porposing offroad. I have 5150 up front now that are valved to 255/70 but with my bumper and winch it seems a little soft and they have started to leak. I would like to go the next step to something better. I use the rig mostly in the rocks and like to drive to and from the trails. Any info would be great.

Thanks

I would buy Bilstein's before Fox .I just don't like Fox .Bilsteins have been around since 1954 and doing right since they have been in business.

what dont you like about Fox?

I have heard several things from people that used to run them.I have also had my own personal experience with them.When I did my coil over conversion I had Fox air bumps.It blew a seal and stopped working.I sent it to them and they told me they would not warranty it even though it was under a year old ( I think it was with 6 months) so I then asked if they could rebuild it .They told me in had internal scaring and was not fixable. I then asked for it to be sent back and they had lost it.It took me about two months of hounding and they found it and sent it back.I will not buy anything Fox again.

dude. That sucks. But I love Fox. I use their bike shocks and nothing compares. as far as the jeep goes though, if I had the cash to buy Fox Shox, I'd get something cheaper and put the rest toward something else.

Wil Badger said:
I have heard several things from people that used to run them.I have also had my own personal experience with them.When I did my coil over conversion I had Fox air bumps.It blew a seal and stopped working.I sent it to them and they told me they would not warranty it even though it was under a year old ( I think it was with 6 months) so I then asked if they could rebuild it .They told me in had internal scaring and was not fixable. I then asked for it to be sent back and they had lost it.It took me about two months of hounding and they found it and sent it back.I will not buy anything Fox again.

Lets get one thing straight now... When you buy a Fox shock or a Bilstein 7100 these are considered race shocks and DO NOT have a warranty.

They are nice due to the tune ability to get the valving the way you want them. I just swaped out my 7100's in the front for a set of Fox 2.0's. I had valved the bilsteins 3 times, and never had the ride quality I was looking for. I ordered a set of Fox's and spoke with a guy that sets up a few sets for jeepspeeders and got a baseline for the valving. I bolted them on my jeep and drove it 200 miles that day, the ride is a lot better than my bilsteins ever were. I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Fox... this is just my opinion...

Clean-RC said:
Lets get one thing straight now... When you buy a Fox shock or a Bilstein 7100 these are considered race shocks and DO NOT have a warranty.

this is just my opinion...

Ya I realize that.Its not like I was out beating on it jumping my jeep all over the place.I was doing nothing but slow rock crawling those first few months.

As for your opinion.Everybody has one and its well with in your rights :)

I liked my Sway Away(Race Runner) Coil over shocks but I'm pretty certain I will be going Bilstein.

I've owned them both, but am currently running the 2.0 w/Res. Love the shocks!!! I've never had a smoother offroad ride in my life and I run the 5150's in the rear, but make sure you get the measurements correct the Fox bodies run a little long IMO.

Oh yeah, my 7100 shock bodies rusted like crazy the second year I had them.

Thanks for all the reply's. 98xjroks and Clean-RC what valving did you go with? I was thinking of the TJ specific valving that fox sells for the front but would like to here what others are using.

im really happy with my 7100's...

Im running the 275/78's and am really happy with the valving - I need to go up a couppla pounds in my spring rate I think next, but the shocks were an amazing difference the first time out.

jeepme said:
Thanks for all the reply's. 98xjroks and Clean-RC what valving did you go with? I was thinking of the TJ specific valving that fox sells for the front but would like to here what others are using.

255/70 front and rear

jeepme said:

are you looking at shocks for the front w/ the stud attachment? IF so I'd look at doing a JKS conversion and getting some eye/eye end shocks.. easier to sell later down the road IMO.

uncc civilengineer said:
are you looking at shocks for the front w/ the stud attachment? IF so I'd look at doing a JKS conversion and getting some eye/eye end shocks.. easier to sell later down the road IMO.

Then you lose about 2 inches of available length making an already long shock body even harder to get any uptravel.

Dirk Pitt said:
Then you lose about 2 inches of available length making an already long shock body even harder to get any uptravel.

depends... and 2" I thought it was more like 1"... and in any case it's nothing you cant work around w/ a little math allowing the ability for a ton more shock options..

EDIT: uptravel's overrated anyway :D

uncc civilengineer said:

I allready have the JKS conversions. As long as I get the correct legnths I can make them work. My biggest concern is valving. Corrently I am running bilstien 5125's valved at 255/70 and with my winch and bumper seems a litte soft and I get quite a bit of body roll on the rocks. The reason I am looking into Fox is the bilstiens only lasted about 2 years and are leaking pretty bad. I definately do not beat on them either.

jeepme said:
I allready have the JKS conversions. As long as I get the correct legnths I can make them work. My biggest concern is valving. Corrently I am running bilstien 5125's valved at 255/70 and with my winch and bumper seems a litte soft and I get quite a bit of body roll on the rocks. The reason I am looking into Fox is the bilstiens only lasted about 2 years and are leaking pretty bad. I definately do not beat on them either.

Stiffer valved shocks may not alleviate your body roll by themselves. What springs are you running?

running RE 5.5 inch springs.

Back