• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 7100 AK7112SBA Discontinued? Alternative?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This is the 275/78 valving 7100 short body that was highly recommended around NAXJA for the front end of the XJ.

Ordered a pair 2 months ago via 4WP, was told they're custom gotta wait, should be in mid August. Called today for an update and was told they've been discontinued. Nice of them to not tell me that before and hang on to my money for 2 months, but I digress.

It appears Bilstein still offers the 7100 shortbody, just not in this valving anymore. This valving is also not available on the 5160 or 5100 series.

So the question is, with the preferred valving for the front no longer available, which direction should I go? To the 255/70 or 360/80?

I honestly may go to the 5160 at this point since they seem to be more readily available vs the 7100.

I ran the 255/70 on the fronts of all my 35" tire xjs, I'm sure you recall. Anyway, I was always very happy with that setup and got several compliments on ride quality both on road and off road from other xj owners.

Side note, all my jeeps were around 5.5" lifts and decently heavy (bumpers, winch, steel line, armor). All were built d30 fronts as well.

All that being said, 255/70 gets a vote from me.

John where these long or short armed rigs?

I would choose the lighter valving on any short armed rig and even tall lifts with long arms.

If on long arms and 4" lift I might go with the heavier valving do to control arm angles being less and more or the road force's being transmitted through the shock.

Short and long arms tall lifts transmit alot of rd force energy directly through the arms and into the body. Almost bypassing the shocks

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks John.

Little update. I talked to Bilstein directly yesterday since well, 4WP hasn't inspired a lot of confidence that I can take them at their word.

Here's what I heard from Bilstein:

4wheelparts is correct, we have discontinued the short body 12” 7100 with the 278/78 dampening profile. There are two options, 1 – we still build the standard body 12” with the 278/78. If this is to long you have the option to purchase AK7112SB99 (see below) this is a custom vavled shock, you will need to request the 278/70 profile.

So, for future reference, you can still get a 7100 Short Body in 275/78. You just have to order AK7112SB99 and specify your valving.

Unfortunately I won't be going this route at the moment. Per the next email I got from Bilstein:

You will still want to place your order through 4wp’s. We do have a shortage of 7100 shock tubes so the lead time could be lengthy.

After waiting 2 months already I just want some shocks. So I converted my order to 5165's with the 255/70 valving and 11" of travel. Lengths are more or less the same as the 7100's I had on order, and I'll have them Monday. If I don't like the ride, I'll run those while some new custom 7100's get built.

Can you get anything.
I gave up looking for shocks all together until the world normalizes or gets hit my a asteroid whichever comes first

Can you get anything.
I gave up looking for shocks all together until the world normalizes or gets hit my a asteroid whichever comes first

I was able to get the 5165's I need for the rear. Ordered them on the 8th, picked them up yesterday. They were sitting at the local 4WP for over a week because they didn't bother to notify me they came in.

The ones I ordered for the front will be here Monday.

So yes you can get some parts, just not everything.

Back