• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bikes....

Heres my baby. Its a 1997 Buell Lightning S-1. It has a warmed up 1200cc Sportster motor from the factory, has hellacious low end torque, and is a blast ride..... for up to 1/2 hour. After that your junk and your whole crotch go numb. That 1/2 hour is with a Corbin seat, with the original seat it was 15 minutes! I still love it though, but havent gotten to ride much since my daughter was born two years ago. And it sucks too that Harley killed the company. Just when they were coming into their own competeing with the jap bikes. Anyways... ENJOY!

100_1969.jpg

100_1970.jpg

100_1971.jpg

Always liked the Buell's and almost went for the 1125R w/ the Bombardier (Rotax) Helicon engine. Was good friends with their Demo Team chief, and they went to races and bike events to let people ride them which was pretty sweet.

Nice thing is Erik Buell bought the name back and now operates Erik Buell Racing and sells race-prepped 1125R's. It is rumored that there will again be a Buell street bike.

I'm an old mx racer... my 1978 Maico 450 Magnum "Wheelsmith" bike predates digital cameras, so I won't be posting pics. Anyway, after sitting in the garage for 20+ years, I actually gave my Maico away in Oct 2000 to make room for a bigger toy.

It was in excellent condition .... ugh. I should have kept it.

You are living in the wrong part of the US. Here the roads are nice and smooth. Granted here in Texas the elevation doesnt change much. But you can find some roads that have some good turns and elevation, few however.

I got to ride this weekend for the first time this year. I felt like a squid cause it's been so long lol

Here in Texas, when its 95+ degrees, i were gloves and a helmet, with my tshirt and shorts. I know that im risking it. I usually ride with my jacket, jeans, gloves, and helmet. I ALWAYS wear a helmet.

I guess I was spoiled by the mountains and drivers of Japan and Europe for so long that I am a bit jaded. I haven't even put new tabs on the WR yet this year, and I am tempted to sell it off.

As for gear...

I was riding on the Izu peninsula behind a friend on a KTM SuperDuke. We were going down hill and entering a decreasing radius left. He was pushing the bike like a Sumo rider (bike leaned, body neutral) while I was hanging off. He started to drag his left peg about halfway to the apex. Once he saw the apex, he pushed lower (like a fool) and of weighted is rear tire just enough to break traction. He slid across the oncoming lane (no cars) and into the gravel turn-out on the outside of the curve. His left leg was stuck between the bike and the pavement as he was bleeding off speed. I started to fall off line, and drop gears to get to him as quick as possible. As he is sliding on his side, across the gravel, he looks up at me and gives me a thumbs up. When get gets to a stop, I hop off and lift his bike off his leg. Fully expecting to see the worse, I was shocked to see his pants damaged, but no blood. The two outer layers of leather on his knee/shin area were torn open, and the padding was shot, but the third layer of leather held. He flips at the pants and says, "XXXX I bought these pants yesterday!"

Ever since then I have worn full gear, even if I need to run to the store. A number of co-workers (admittedly squids) who went down in Japan as well, and those who wore gear were fine, those who didn't... well. Even in the Japanese August (mid 90's w/80+ humidity) I happily wore my leather gear when I rode.

Take it for what you will, it is a personal choice. Personally, I'd rather sweat than bleed!

Thats true if Im going to the twisties i ride with my full gear. If Im not going to do any hard riding, then im not. It's a risk i take just like a risk we all take when we go out on the roads.

As for gear...

I was riding on the Izu peninsula behind a friend on a KTM SuperDuke. We were going down hill and entering a decreasing radius left. He was pushing the bike like a Sumo rider (bike leaned, body neutral) while I was hanging off. He started to drag his left peg about halfway to the apex. Once he saw the apex, he pushed lower (like a fool) and of weighted is rear tire just enough to break traction. He slid across the oncoming lane (no cars) and into the gravel turn-out on the outside of the curve. His left leg was stuck between the bike and the pavement as he was bleeding off speed. I started to fall off line, and drop gears to get to him as quick as possible. As he is sliding on his side, across the gravel, he looks up at me and gives me a thumbs up. When get gets to a stop, I hop off and lift his bike off his leg. Fully expecting to see the worse, I was shocked to see his pants damaged, but no blood. The two outer layers of leather on his knee/shin area were torn open, and the padding was shot, but the third layer of leather held. He flips at the pants and says, "XXXX I bought these pants yesterday!"

Ever since then I have worn full gear, even if I need to run to the store. A number of co-workers (admittedly squids) who went down in Japan as well, and those who wore gear were fine, those who didn't... well. Even in the Japanese August (mid 90's w/80+ humidity) I happily wore my leather gear when I rode.

Take it for what you will, it is a personal choice. Personally, I'd rather sweat than bleed!
That's a crazy story. I'd be pissed too, but recognize that jeans and motorcycles are replaceable. You only have two legs and good luck replacing one of them.

I've heard enough stories like this before I started riding that I have always worn at least leather-reinforced jeans and the rest of my gear.

For those of you that want to look cool with your t-shirt flapping in the breeze, have you ever worn a comfortable jacket? You don't even feel it while you're riding, only when you stop. And have you ever seen pictures of the road rash caused by going down while wearing a helmet and gloves and no other gear? If I may politely say... Screw that.

The part I bolded I couldn't have said better myself. If you go down wearing full gear, you'll probably be bruised and sore, but very likely not bloody. It's the difference between weeks of recovery and a day or two.

It's your own bike and your own hide. How much do you spend on a pair of sneakers? $50? $75? Are your feet worth that much and your skin not? And for those that ride without a helmet - your noggin? I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but for those who ride without proper gear, I hope you don't become a statistic.

I could go on all day about this, but I think those who agree will continue to agree and those who don't never will.

I gotta get in on this ....... Bikes ....... saw some other people post the "pedal-able" style bikes, heres some of mine.

Btw love the Gem and the Prophet posted earlier.
I had a Prophet 3000 with carbon lefty and crossmax, etc. all the crazy stuff. Traded it for a Scalpel ...... anyhow, Im a professional bike mechanic and work at a shop. People who work in bike shops own cars and make payments on their bikes.

I paid more for the crankset on that first bike than I did for my last Comanche and Cherokee combined ..... :wierd:

IMG_5419.jpg

I too work at a bike store and a Rotor Crankset goes for more than what my first car was for! It's crazy what people will spend money on.

Upgrading to Crossmax's and a carbon Lefty are in it's future. I considered selling the Gem and forking $1000 out for a 3K Prophet model, but the craiglist for sale/"trade for an XL Prophet only" ad worked out. I really dig the black decal on black metallic paint. I like de-badged looks on cars and bikes.

They make turbo kits for them, but I don't think they ever built them that way even across the pond. It's fun to ride. The frames on them are pretty cheesy and flex a lot, but they can be ridden pretty aggressively if you're smooth. '79 - '80 looked like this one, '81 - '82 they turned them into more of a touring bike. The power is deceiving because it's so smooth. The 79's made 103 bhp stock. A new 600 will outrun it, but this was the top dog back in the late 70's.

Back