• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear - Saturday, August 8

Johnny, would you guys be O.K. with me bringing up to six short wheelbase guys? A bunch of guys from work have Jeeps and this is a great time to do a run. If you think it would be too crowded we could just set out for our own trails.

We were unable to find any information about Sidewinder. So like I said in my previous post, we're just gonna cruise around and explore. Get out, walk around, smell the roses. No rock crawling, so it may be a bit boring for some.

But for anyone who wants to go on a leisurely drive, you can meet us at 9 am Saturday morning at Sugarloaf Park, which is at the corner of Baldwin Lane and Maple Lane, about 1/4 mile west of highway 38.

949-212-8887

Johnny, would you guys be O.K. with me bringing up to six short wheelbase guys? A bunch of guys from work have Jeeps and this is a great time to do a run. If you think it would be too crowded we could just set out for our own trails.

Hey john, I was thinking of running deep creek. I'm trying to find out if Alboogie can make it out. If not then ill roll with johnny and friends but I would really like to run deep creek and do what ever else afterwards.

[FONT=&quot]So Julio, you’re not going to Gorman on Saturday?[/FONT]

Still trying to decide.

That's a different Sidewinder. That one's in Corral Canyon down south.

Me and Terry are going to run Gold mountain and then Deep Creek with a few short wheelbase guys so you are welcome to join us. Should be a great day.

Yeah, sounds good. Talked to Terry yesterday and should be a good day. You think your buddies are up for running John Bull? Anyway, sounds like we will be having a good time either way. Alboogie will be joining us as well along with my black lab.

Johnny, really wanted to wheel with ya. Maybe next time. :thumbup:

Johnny, have you run this trail, Pontiac Sluice ? This one could be cool,

We entered trail #3N14 in Fawnskin. The first couple miles of this trail are really easy, as is clearly stated on the map. In an area known as Hanna Flats, the trail splits off in two directions. One continues on trail #3N14 and doesn't seem to be too difficult: the other splits off on to trail #3N93, which according to the map is rated "black diamond". Of course we decided to take trail #3N93. This is where the fun began. We crossed the creek, which luckily wasn't too deep on this trip.

Last edited:
Those are two different trails.

3N93 is Holcomb Creek, which is closed. Pontiac Sluice is on the totally opposite side of the lake and is also known as Heartbreak Ridge. And that's one of the trails we were already planning to do.

Rattlesnake's a nice trail. But very easy, I ran it on 30's open/open with swaybars (f/r) attached. I still enjoyed it though, and would still have a good time with 33s and welded rear, so sways.

Rattlesnake's a nice trail. But very easy, I ran it on 30's open/open with swaybars (f/r) attached. I still enjoyed it though, and would still have a good time with 33s and welded rear, so sways.

But did you run it at 30mph?

Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead Trail Listing

This is a fairly complete listing of trails in the Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead area.
trail_black.gif
USFS rated black diamond 4×4 trails near Big Bear Lake:

• 3N10 John Bull
  • 3N93 Holcomb Creek
  • 2N06X Lower Larga
  • 1N01 Pipes Canyon
  • 2N90 Tip Top Mountain
  • 3N03A Horsethief Flat
  • 3N69 Gold Mountain
  • 1N38 Heart Bar Peak
  • 3N17 White Mountain
trail_black.gif
USFS rated black diamond 4×4 trails near Lake Arrowhead/Green Valley Lake:

• 3N34 Dishpan Springs
  • 2N13D Crafts Peak
  • 2N83 Edison Rd
  • 2N27Y
  • 2N29Y
trail_blue.gif
USFS rated blue square 4×4 trails near Big Bear Lake:

• 3N61 Jacoby Canyon
  • 2N06 Radford Truck Trail
  • 1N54 Clark’s Grade
  • 3N02 Burnt Flat
  • 2N06 Moon Ridge Peak
  • 2N84 Little Bear Peak
  • 2N68Y
  • 2N61Y
  • 2N71Y
  • 3N63 Silver Peak
  • 3N80
  • Rattlesnake Canyon
trail_blue.gif
USFS rated blue square 4×4 trails near Lake Arrowhead/Green Valley Lake:

• 2N54
  • 3N59
  • 2N28Y
  • 3N34B Devil’s Hole
  • 3N34D Willow Creek Jeep Trail
  • 2N19B
  • 2N19C

Last edited:
We had three good days on wheeling this weekend.

Friday, Rich and Kim and I went down our Adopt-A-Trail 2N04 over to Rose Mine. Then we went up to Tip Top Mountain, down to a fun offshoot trail 2N70Y, Jeepspeeded down 2N02 and 3N03 back to the highway.

Saturday, s7tech Danny and his buddy Heath in a TJ Unlimited Rubicon joined us. We drove the highway over to highway 247 to catch the north end of Rattlesnake Canyon.

We drove south through the canyon which is a sandy wash. We found the Sidewinder trail, which shoots off to the east. We figured out that Sidewinder is the same trail as Mottino Wash. There are some videos of Mottino Wash on Youtube.

This trail is pretty crazy. I chose to attempt the first part of the trail to see how difficult it was. I got through like four obstacles, getting majorly stuck on the fourth. After finally getting unstuck, we realized that we were maybe 1/10th of the way down the trail. So we decided to stick our tails between our legs and turn around. Live to wheel another day.

We think that one would need at least 35 inch tires and two lockers to get through this trail. I know that Matty and Rick would love this trail. Marvin did suffer some new damage on the right side of the bed. :(

On our way back to the highway, we turned off and ran Horsethief Flats, which is a pretty fun out-and-back trail.

Then today, Danny and I ran Deep Creek on our way back down the mountain. There weren't too many vehicles on the trail, so we got through it pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Mottino wash was a really cool trail. We all made it in about 1/8 of a mile. I walked about 1/2 mile or more to see what it had in store, It definitely makes John Bull look like a freeway. Johnny gave it a good try, and if we were there earlier, maybe we would have tried a little harder. Diff clearance was a issue, but with better rock placement before getting wedged between two huge boulders, would have been a little smarter. This is a great trail and would not mind going back and riding with someone who can handle a little body damage. I will post up some pic's when I get them up loaded.

Back