• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG BEAR RUN - DEC 11th @ 8:30 am

Thanks Clint. i was really looking forward to meeting everyone. Maybe a miracle will happen and I can still make it. I am going to go up this Saturday and try to play a little.

I talked to ZJ Mike tonight as well and he is going to be keeping an eye on the trail conditions and weather as we get closer. I know some guys that ran Holcomb Creek last weekend and they were telling me there was alot of ice. There is still a couple of more weekends so I am sure things will change a lot but we are going rain or shine on that day. if we need to adjust to a different trail...if we need to...that is cool by me if all you guys are cool with it. Later...Clint

I figure that the trails can be discussed by those that show. I know they are expecting snow this weekend and then again in the middle of next week.

Any chance you could come up this weekend as well? I am trying to get a few guys together at the same time at the discovery center. i would like to go to a different trail (other than Holcomb).

Later,

RP

Robert, I sure wish I could. I am doing the final wrap up of a TOY RUN our club does every year. I will be on the Dec 11 th and help out with that for sure. Robert...I will also be sure to save a shirt for you as well. Later...Clint

That's awesome.

I hope to wheel with you soon.

Robert

:laugh3: HEY everybody, guess what? A miracle happened and I do NOT have to work next weekend! I will be going after all.

Since I have made plans with a few people to run tomorrow, I will be there BOTH weekends.

Same meeting place & time each weekend. 8:00 @ Big Bear Discovery Center.

Later,

Robert

Hey everyone,

Went to BB today to play in the snow. I purchsed a map and a trail book at the Discovery Center and they proved to be invaluable.

There was plenty of snow, ice, and mudd. After a couple of miles, we got into some soft snow. I had use a shovel a couple of times to dig out around the tires. We take 3N16 around to 3N14. 3N14 had lees snow, but more mudd. We continued down 3N14 to 3N08 (Holcomb Creek). I knew the hill at the crek crossing would be icy so we went to take a look. The creek was frozen at the crossing and the hill right all ice on the right side. I slowly drove onto the iced over creek to get a better look. All of a sudden the ice broke. I had crossed this area before and I knew the depth was only about 16 inches. So I went on and tried to clinb the hill anyways. No luck! My tires were spinning forward and I was sliding backwards. My right rear dropped into a hole. My rear tire stuffed up against the fendy and popped the flare and bumper cap loose. Shane also gave it a try, but no way. So we turned around, we only wanted to try hat hill. Even if we would have made it, I would not attempt that trail with only 2 non-locked Jeeps.

We went the opposite direction on 3n08 and took it back over to Holocmb Valley. The sun had been shinning all morning and the snow was melting so there was plenty of mud. We stopped at the junction of 3N16 and 3N10 (way to John Bull) because I heard a noise coming from my Jeep. My rear fender flare had come all of the way off and was being held on by 1 bolt. I removed it and the bumper cap. This was the only problem we encountered.

The snow was still over a foot deep. escpecially on the back side of the trails we the sun does not get to melt it away.

I did take a few pictures and will post them in the next day or so.

We may be running a similar route next weekend.

BTW,

Here is the run info again. There are several people expected so be there early!

Required Equipment:
Solid recovery points front and rear (tow hooks, shackles/d-rings, receivers), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, snatch strap (no chains, no strap with metal hooks), full size spare tire and all necessary hardware.

**You may want to have tire chains/cables, shovel, and extra pair of socks**

Meeting Place:
Big Bear Discovery Center (http://www.bigbear.info/), 8:00 AM - departing at 8:30 sahrp.

Planned trails for Saturday:
Polique (2N09) to Holcomb Valley (3N16), Hanna Flat (3N14), & 3N08. All trails are open for discussion and depend on weather.

They are expecting an additional 5+ inches of snow between now and nex Saturday.

CB Channel:
Primary, 4; alternate, 14

Trail Leader, Saturday:
Robert Prater (rpratexj) - Inless someone else wants to lead.

Don't forget your cameras!

Hey gang,

I am trying to get a head count for this Saturdays' (Dec 11th) run.

Would you mind lettimg me know? You can use this post, send me a private message, or shoot me an e-mail @ [email protected]

Thanks,

Robert

One vehicle, probably 4 riders. So is this a family oriented group? Trying to decide if the wife and kids should attend. They don't need any more exposure to beer drinking/cursing/childish acting wheelers..... they get enough of that w/ me.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to be worried, it's a pretty level group of people on these runs, many doing exactly what you are thinking of doing.

Take the family, see the snow...

--ron

Families are welcome. Just have warm clothes and food....

This is a day run in the snow. With lunch on the trail.

My wife is goign to be with me. I may even let her drive.... :laugh3:

I was only kidding on the beer drinking part, I rarely drink and never while driving. Just hoping for a fun time on the trail w/out worries of dealing w/ drunks on the trail and the BS that some may bring w/ them. Can't wait! Time to break out the thermal undies!

I'll be there...if I get over this cold... :mad:

If I can get the XJ ready then I will be there, about 95% sure I'll make it. I'm bringing the wife and kids along as well, yes they want to go play in the snow (the kids that is).

Sure hope to see everybody there.

skrracing said:
Ea,il sent robert. later...clint

HUH? :huh: I am sorry, but I don't quiet understand.

Hi Clint,

How many guys are you bringing? I am really excited about the weekend.

I looked at the forecast and it is supposed to be in the 60's on Sat. & Sun. up there. Plan on lots of mudd.

See you Saturday!

Robert

xjohnnyc said:
:puke:

I have been fighting a stupid cold for over 2 weeks. It almost beat me on Thanskgiving and the following weekend. I am still coughing and sneezing. Going to the Dr. on Wed. for some good medicine.

It won't stop from going Saturday though.

OC guys meeting at Chevron off of the 91 fwy & Green River @ 6:30 am, then caravn up to Discovery Center....

See you there,

RP

xjohnnyc said:

Hey Johnny, feeling better? I went to DR today for my cold that I have had for 17 days. He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and cough syrup with codine.... I have bronchitis... BUT I AM STILL GOING SATURDAY!!! He said I will be fine and the antibiotics will make safe for people around me, so I am not contagious.

If you going, I am planning on meeting you at the Cheveron off the 91 & Green River road between 6:30 and 6:45.

Later,

Robert

Well, it's not getting any worse. And I've been working all week. As of now, I am planning to go. Bring some of that medicine for me.

:mad: I can't make it..... My son has Christmas party for the U.S. Navy Sea Cadets, that they are doing after their drill Saturday, I tryed to get my wife to pick him up after drill and go to the party..... but they are planning on having an award ceremony so now I have to go....

Maybe on the next one...

Scott S.

Back