• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG Mud-terrain KM2 vs. Cooper Discoverer STT

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally got my 2" lift on and I'm looking at 30x9.5 mud tires. I only drive about 15 minutes to school/work everyday so I'm not concerned so much with the lower wear with M/Ts, and I barely see highway. I'm also aware that M/Ts will not have the same traction in rain and on ice as A/Ts. My question is of these two which has better road manners? I've heard the BFG has a softer compound so its a littler better in rain and snow. Any advice? I've only dealt with A/Ts and highway tires before.

i ran stt's before. cant really offer a fair comparison since 2 of them were near bald.

but i am more than pleased with my km2's. more than happy with them offroad in every situation. and they have great street manners (like any other modern mud terrain)
had one sidewall issue (which is impressive for me), but got a free replacement courtesy of 4wheelparts (road hazard warranty ftw)

im at about 45k miles on them now and they are around 30% tread remaining

Also look into the Goodyear Duratrac's.

Also look into the Goodyear Duratrac's.

My friend has those and they are a great tire. Only issue is they don't make them in 30x9.5

isn't the duratrac an all-terrain tire?

Yup, sure is.

Looks like I'm going with the KM2s, I can get them at a decent price from a local shop. STTs just seem to be a little harder to find.

but i am more than pleased with my km2's. more than happy with them offroad in every situation. and they have great street manners (like any other modern mud terrain)
had one sidewall issue (which is impressive for me), but got a free replacement courtesy of 4wheelparts (road hazard warranty ftw)

im at about 45k miles on them now and they are around 30% tread remaining

What he said. KM2's work well everywhere except for really really deep mud. I love mine!

Hijack.. I am in the same boat. I run 235/75 goodyears now and was looking at 30X9.5, but they are as expensive, heck more expensive than mosts 31's. What about 265/70/15. I seen those on Chevy Colorado's and a few other vehicles.

I ned AT cause I run 90 percent on the road and 10 percent on fire roads/ forest trails...

I ned AT cause I run 90 percent on the road and 10 percent on fire roads/ forest trails...

i run 98 percent on the road and 2 percent offroad and will never go back to an all terrain.

modern mud terrain tires get great milage and have excellent street manners

Took my KM2s out for the first time in the mud and rocks this past weekend. I also went snow wheeling with them this past winter. The tires did great in all instances. And I DD my truck and they've worn very well on beadlocks and 8 oz. of Airsoft pellets.

IMG_7184Large.jpg

Between the 2 in the OP, I would go with the STT's . Then there are always Goodyear MT/r Kevlar's . If I had not gotten my used Dueler AT's for the price I did, I would have picked up some Grabber Red Letters or MT/r's
For the price, why not just step up to a 31? Bumpstop accordingly and no rub.

Only issue I know of with the STTs are the 2 ply sidewalls are more prone to trail damage, unlike the KM2's three ply sidewalls that seem to be tougher.

its seems as though everyone buying tires forgets about the kevlar mtr's is the price realy that different or is it because they look more like a mall crawler tire because I got the 33's in december my rig drives everywhere and the tires are holding up great before i bought them i was looking into buying spools for cheap traction but because how well they have worked for me im gonna wait until i can afford selectable lockers
sorry for the book but thats my .02 on the matter

Back