• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG All Terrains

WOW. I never thought I would see a thread hating on BFG AT's. They are by far one of the best tires you can buy. I run BFG Baja's only because I like spending $400 per tire for them (just kidding) I don't think they look aggressive enough. That said my buddies on BFG At's have gone places easier than mt on KM's or Bajas both sand, snow and mud.

I would say check the date of manufacture and tread depth (rubber gets hard with age and heat cycles). BFG AT's have been know to go 45,000 + miles but not if you drive like a jacka$$. Tire rotation and all that doesn't help if you mash it off every light and spin tire on the rocks. Been using BFG AT';s over 20 years. If it was a horrible tire it wouldn't make it that long.

these people drinkin there BFGoodrich hatorade

WOW. I never thought I would see a thread hating on BFG AT's. They are by far one of the best tires you can buy. I run BFG Baja's only because I like spending $400 per tire for them (just kidding) I don't think they look aggressive enough. That said my buddies on BFG At's have gone places easier than mt on KM's or Bajas both sand, snow and mud.

I would say check the date of manufacture and tread depth (rubber gets hard with age and heat cycles). BFG AT's have been know to go 45,000 + miles but not if you drive like a jacka$$. Tire rotation and all that doesn't help if you mash it off every light and spin tire on the rocks. Been using BFG AT';s over 20 years. If it was a horrible tire it wouldn't make it that long.

When was the BFG AT first made? I haven't been able to find any history on the internet. I know I've seen them on the GMC Jimmy on Magnum PI.

My BFG A/T's were excellent snow tires, were average on ice, were good in the rain with no hydroplaning, and lasted well (with proper vehicle maintenance, proper inflation, and regular rotations).

BFG A/T's stunk in deep mud, and were pretty good in loose soil and on rocks. I did cut two on the sidewalls. Over all I would buy another set for a daily driver, or mild trail rig.

M/T tires stink on snow and ice due to the small number of tread blocks and the lack of siping.

People that have poor reviews of BFG may have had too high of an expectation for an A/T tire.

Only getting 20,000 miles on any quality tire points to manufacturing defects or operator error. With care BFG's should last 40-60,000 miles on a light weight XJ.

If you experiencing lack of traction under wet conditions, you need to be more gentle with the gas pedal.

Last edited:
i went through 2 sets of BFG AT's and now have MTRs. The AT is a great tire. I'm headed back in the AT direction, but thinking of going with the GY Duratrac. OP - Fishtailing in the rain is due to too much skinny pedal in a rear wheel drive cherokee. Drop the PSI and lay off the gas =) And for you mud loving complainers, quit buying AT tires! :doh:

When was the BFG AT first made? I haven't been able to find any history on the internet. I know I've seen them on the GMC Jimmy on Magnum PI.

Good question! I was wondering the same thing. All "KO" aside, it's an old tread design at this point, but if it works - it works. I was selling BFG AT's in the early or mid-90's; can't vividly recall seeing them earlier than that. But it does raise the question of age and technology: like camshafts, newer computer-designed patterns have got to be better than decades-older ones.... right? :dunno:

Regardless, I run AT's on my TJ and I'm a click away from getting them for my XJ. Still considering trying MT/R's.

I normally run the standard 225/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler GSA'a tyres on my Xj and I found that the BF Goodrich A/T's grip better on dry or wet roads especially when touring with my 1000kg camper trailer hooked on, only thing is that they are a noisier tyre....

I should mention that I run 35-36 psi in these tyres and everyone that I know that runs them gets around 60-80,000 kilometres on our outback tyre shredding roads....
If you are only getting half that then there is a major problem somewhere, either too little tyre pressure or you got a bad batch...

100 000-120 000km is pretty average from the guys I know. We don't do mud or we would run mud tires but rocks(dry or wet), logs, regular trails, gravel, on road are all well performing.

I like them. Pretty good grip on road, rainy roads are OK at best. I recommend them, they are solid tire. They do have a few drawbacks, but overall they are pretty good.

If you want a quiet tire with long tread life, excellent road traction, and good road manners, these Michelin's are about as good as you can get. I had a friend run a set of these for 103,000 miles on a 98 Toyota Tacoma extracab 4x4.

BFG's are generally nice also, but bad batches could occur.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R5LTXOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Here is some Michelin, BFG, Uniroyal info. They are all the same company now. BFG is Dr. Ben Goodrich who founded the tire company in Akron, Ohio in 1870...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodrich_Corporation -B

Hmm I may have been wrong about the mileage. I got the lift put on in late Jan of 2008 and I have put around 5,000-8,000 miles on it since.

you shouldn't have any traction problems @ 8k, The only time Ive had an issue was when I had them below 40% tread, that's when the started losing traction on wet pavement.

X2 on the pressure, 35psi is too high.

I normally run the standard 225/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler GSA'a tyres on my Xj and I found that the BF Goodrich A/T's grip better on dry or wet roads especially when touring with my 1000kg camper trailer hooked on, only thing is that they are a noisier tyre....

The GSA's are garbage compared to the BFG's! I am not a goodyear fan at all!

i actually just bought a set of bfg ats in the 33/10.50 flavor, even at 25psi Front and rear i still feel like its bowing a tiny bit but im also running 15x7's too. anyway on to the point at hand, i took these out to mengel pass out in ballarat ca, and i had enough grip with my at's that i never had to engage 4wd, there was one section in goler wash where i put it in 4wd but only because i didnt want to have trouble with the water on the rocky part they call a waterfall. then this weekend i dropped my pressure down to 12psi and took it for a drive out in the dunes... it performed excellent... oh and i get better gas mileage with my 33x10.50's then i did with my 235/75 mt's. i got 19.5 going to the beach. i measured my mileage thru my garmin 60csx gps so i know it was accurate. i think you just got a bad set of tires...

I bought the tires brand new when I got my lift. They still have the little rubber pieces between the treads, so they can't have done that many miles.

As for the mileage discrepancy, I never have any idea how many miles I've driven, especially taking into account the Jeep wasn't driven much the two times I was out of the country for 2 months each.

I should also add that the Jeep sees street driving 99.9% of the time, with the only exception being a day trip to URE over a year ago.

Did you lower the tire pressure and drive it?

I run 25 on the 35's and that feels like too much sometimes. Your high tire pressure is causing a small contact patch on the road.

But all these people trying to help you doesn't do any good unless you go out to the jeep and let some air out of the tires.

Did you lower the tire pressure and drive it?

I run 25 on the 35's and that feels like too much sometimes. Your high tire pressure is causing a small contact patch on the road.

But all these people trying to help you doesn't do any good unless you go out to the jeep and let some air out of the tires.

Yes I did lower the pressure down to 30. Should I go lower than that?

Back