• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG All Terrains

Depends on how it drives. Did you notice a difference?

Have you tried the chalk test?

You have to remember that we ask truck tires to perform well for us on a vehicle that doesn't necessarily weigh what a truck does. That's why you never inflate your tires to the numbers on the tire, always to the numbers in the door jam.

Unfortunately, when you go bigger (or to a stronger tire with a stiffer sidewall) your factory recommendations go right out the window. You have to find the happy medium.

I ran 30 when I was on 31's, but only because I wanted to squeek a little mileage out of the old girl. I probably should have been around 28.

I read about a way to gauge tire pressure a long time ago on another car board. The poster suggested inflating them cold (you always do it before you drive right?) and then going for a 20 minute trip somewhere. Check the pressure again and you should only see 4-5 psi rise because of the heat. More than that means too much air. Now that might only work on a small car tire, but you get the idea.

I have BFG AT's on my F250 and it's driven almost exclusively on the road, towing, etc. I've never had a single issue in weather and it rains about 100 times more here on the coast than where you are.

To the OP:

After long periods of dry conditions, the first couple of good rains will make the roads slick as hell as the accumulated oils mix with the water. After a few good rains things will be better. Also, if you haven't experienced it yet, when taking off from a stop and crossing painted lines in the road your tires will often loose traction on the painted and wet surface.

One thing to try is have your tires siped. Costs about $10 to $12 per tire, major improvement in traction. Google "tire siping".
I live in Oregon too, but a much nicer area then Joe:rolleyes:, and I totally agree w/ everything he said. I got my current tire siped and i will never have tires w/o it, any tire! Makes so much diff you will be amazed in snow ice or wet. I have read some articles where folks did them themselves w/ a box knife....took about 30 mins a tire, but I will continue having the tire shop do it.:looney:

So I lowered my tire pressure from 32 to 25 and suddenly my MTs aren't scary in the rain anymore... I definitely will Xwhatever the "lower your tire pressure" suggestion.

I also see the issue on painted lines - in fact when turning my tires squeal as they cross painted lines regardless of whether it's a dry or wet road, and I'm open/open.

It's either mickey thompson MTZs or BFG ATs for me at this point.

Just to update you all, I did lower my psi to between 25-28 and it made a huge difference. Really helped out a lot. Don't know why I didn't think of doing that in the first place...

I ended up with treadwright recapped BFG ATs, in 33x11.5. I run 25 in em and they do fine on the street... offroad I run "let the air out till they start whistling" which is somewhere from 12 to 18 depending on the day, it seems. They suck in mud, are pretty average everywhere else, and kick the crap out of most good wheeling tires in the snow.

mine are excellent.
i have about 40K on them and maybe will get through to next winter...
not sure.
then i have to decide.
get another set.
or look for some duratracs in 31s...
hmmmm

I've been really happy with my BFG's. I gotta say the sidewalls are not super durable but these tires hold up well to 70 mph at 5 psi in the sand and they grip rocks really well. Street grip is more than I would expect from an AT tire. All in all I love them. Next time I might try the kevlars.

You want to see something crazy. Hot knife a new set, breaking up small blocks twice(center tread), then knife the big block into three blocks (outside tread). Now go play in the rocks sand and snow at about 10 psi. I have never seen a tire go in the snow like a knifed AT TA. I used a 3/8 blade on my knife.

You want to see something crazy. Hot knife a new set, breaking up small blocks twice(center tread), then knife the big block into three blocks (outside tread). Now go play in the rocks sand and snow at about 10 psi. I have never seen a tire go in the snow like a knifed AT TA. I used a 3/8 blade on my knife.

Pics or it never happened! :D I'm quite intrigued.

Back