• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year for XJ?

I would like my xj to be overbuilt rather than under. I was thinkin(based on my limited knowledge) of putting in an explorer 8.8 with disc brakes, 4.5" long arm lift and a fender trim, 32's or 33's with gears in the mid 4's. and an ARB locker in the rear. Ultimatly I want it to be hwy freindly. Sorry if I'm wandering away from OEM tech discussion

For me.., the very best year XJ was the one I got, since the only other one in my area available for sale was a 2X4!!!!! Every vehicle in my neck of the mountains, woods, muck, and beaches are all imported. Finding anyone willing to give up their XJ for sale is rare. You guys are spoiled, lol.

That said, someone on NAXJA who is computer literate, might just compile old posts on this subject, and begin a chart, (i.e., with such a baseline to work from), and begin a vote. Does anyone else think that that might be an interesting function to add to this site? For example: If the bar-graph were to show '99s as being of the highest score, would that not give a clue ito some of us.., a better educated target year to set our sights on?

I could see the roadway through the driver's-side floorboard, and the rust was so bad that it took two hours, just to remove the back two wheels, and tires. Imagine that! Still, the restoration process is going well, and I would make a small profit should I sell it.., and therefore begin to look towards obtaining the very best XJ 'ya all have determined here at NAXJA! (Then again, I might instead use the funds to restore my 'Old Reliable' Model 17). However, I look at any XJ as being a well-rounded survivalist vehicle meeting the needs of either geo-political, or geo-physical situations, (providing we can still get fuel).

Perhaps one of you fellows who have been around for some time on this site are connected somewhat and know how to make such a suggestion as aforementioned. Best wishes 'ya all.

Mike, I noticed for your next jeep you would opt for an auto trans. That was my next question, pros and cons of AW4 vs AX15. I guess you give up a few ponies with the auto and it runs warm(I would add a cooler). I'm getting lazy in my old age(46) and thought an auto would be nice.
When cruising in your neck of the desert in the Cherokee shown ('96, 4 cyl., 2 w.d. w/locker, AX5, 4.11 gears) the problem with the manual was I couldn't go slow enough over obstacles without slipping the clutch. And from what you are thinking of doing with yours, slow might be good unless you stick to Glammas.

Check out the So. Calif. Chapter, there are people down your way with much stronger opinions than me.

Mike

For me.., the very best year XJ was the one I got,
Best wishes 'ya all.
Alaska, Welcome to NAXJA.
You answered your own question. For many of us the one we have is the "best" year.
When a person starts shopping by year and not the best one for the job it's easy to make mistakes.
There are also some years that are "problematic" that members here have driven for years without problem.

Mike

I saw mentioned about the survivalist aspect of the jeep. "Provided we can still get fuel"...
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

Jeep wins. Personally though IMHO 1990 - 1995

Renix is a weak engine, but regarless it is still pretty darn simple to work on in relation to some newer wheeled vehicles. Vacuum everything sucks, but oh well
AW4 trannsmission is basically a toyota product...lots of similarities and for the most part bulletproof with proper maint.
D30 and 35 are darn good axles for the light budget offroader...and should serve you just fine.
Newer HO engines released in 91 more power and not renix but still great little torquey tractor engines.
And the NP242 and NP231 are great transfer cases.

Plus, I would look for a Limited...In the 80's and 90's they made seats like lazyboy recliners in these vehicles. SO plush for my tush. Also a lot of Limiteds came with the tow package which = Limited slip diff in the rear. Other models did to though. The only bad about my Limited is I don't like power windows on a trail jeep. Aside from that you can't go wrong with less. 95> xj don't have fancy electronics, but they are fairly cheap and easy to maintain. Please correct me if I was wrong anywhere.
Oh, by the way, I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0 Renix, AW4, NP242, D30 and 35, Tow package with rear limited slip, 3.55 front and 3.73 rear and 31's and couldn't be happier.:wave1:

I saw mentioned about the survivalist aspect of the jeep. "Provided we can still get fuel"...
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

Jeep wins. Personally though IMHO 1990 - 1995

Renix is a weak engine, but regarless it is still pretty darn simple to work on in relation to some newer wheeled vehicles. Vacuum everything sucks, but oh well
AW4 trannsmission is basically a toyota product...lots of similarities and for the most part bulletproof with proper maint.
D30 and 35 are darn good axles for the light budget offroader...and should serve you just fine.
Newer HO engines released in 91 more power and not renix but still great little torquey tractor engines.
And the NP242 and NP231 are great transfer cases.

Plus, I would look for a Limited...In the 80's and 90's they made seats like lazyboy recliners in these vehicles. SO plush for my tush. Also a lot of Limiteds came with the tow package which = Limited slip diff in the rear. Other models did to though. The only bad about my Limited is I don't like power windows on a trail jeep. Aside from that you can't go wrong with less. 95> xj don't have fancy electronics, but they are fairly cheap and easy to maintain. Please correct me if I was wrong anywhere.
Oh, by the way, I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0 Renix, AW4, NP242, D30 and 35, Tow package with rear limited slip, 3.55 front and 3.73 rear and 31's and couldn't be happier.:wave1:
3.55 front and 3.73 rear? Hope you don't put it in part time 4wd till you get 3.73s for the front.

How come everyone's talkin trash about coil on plug?

They're actually simpler than having a distributor/coil/plug wires and have a hotter spark iirc. Not to mention not ever having to buy plug wires or worrying about them shorting out.

And to my knowledge COP's are very reliable. They have been in my experience anyways.

Am I missing something? :dunno:

Cons:
* the only XJs with coil on plug also have like a bazillion O2 sensors, and precats. Hello heat soak and expensive exhaust parts
* if the coil pack dies, you are out $180
* harder to check spark without causing damage (running coils unloaded = beating the hell out of them, and the driver transistors. They need the load from the spark plug to not burn up)

If they had used a separate coil pack for each plug like on the V8 WJs I would love it. I have no love for distributors and rotors and plug wires.

Cons:
* the only XJs with coil on plug also have like a bazillion O2 sensors, and precats. Hello heat soak and expensive exhaust parts
* if the coil pack dies, you are out $180
* harder to check spark without causing damage (running coils unloaded = beating the hell out of them, and the driver transistors. They need the load from the spark plug to not burn up)

If they had used a separate coil pack for each plug like on the V8 WJs I would love it. I have no love for distributors and rotors and plug wires.

Only XJ's with the cali emissions package have precats and additional o2 sensors. Besides, that doesn't have anything to do with the coils themselves.

And they don't cost anywhere near $180, maybe a third of that. Which by the time you have to replace it you would've spent at least that much in plug wires with a traditional distributor system.

I agree that it would be nice for them to be separate for diagnostic purposes though.

Only XJ's with the cali emissions package have precats and additional o2 sensors. Besides, that doesn't have anything to do with the coils themselves.
True, it doesn't. My info says you are wrong on the precats though. Can't find anyone selling a no-cat downpipe for the 00/01, only catalytic equipped ones. I could still be wrong, I have little experience with the very late models.

And they don't cost anywhere near $180, maybe a third of that.
you're right that I am off in price, the cheapest I can find now is $84. Still, hurts a lot more than a $17 ignition coil, $3 rotor, $6 cap, and $11 wire set. Got all those prices from RockAuto.

Ya, sorry about that...I was thinking about my truck...:confused1 3.55 all around

Maybe thats because with everyones opinion on which year is best they figure that it is a question best not asked or responded to.

1989 xj limited 3 inch lift and all else STOCK 130000 miles for a whopping $350!!!!!!!!!!runs great as daily driver

Last edited:
I'm no einstein when it comes to XJ specs, but I have a 2001 XJ sport. I only had a bad radiator and oil pressure sender. Knock on wood... no head cracking at 128,000 miles

True, it doesn't. My info says you are wrong on the precats though. Can't find anyone selling a no-cat downpipe for the 00/01, only catalytic equipped ones. I could still be wrong, I have little experience with the very late models.

you're right that I am off in price, the cheapest I can find now is $84. Still, hurts a lot more than a $17 ignition coil, $3 rotor, $6 cap, and $11 wire set. Got all those prices from RockAuto.

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this, I have a 2000 and it has no precats and only 2 o2's. Also, if you look at ECU's for XJ's you'll be asked if it's cali emissions equipped, in order to have extra o2 inputs.

And my coil rail crapped out on my after about 220k. By that time I would've replaced about 7 sets of wires, probably one coil, and 5 cap and rotors. That adds up to $179. And that's the cheap stuff. Food for thought ;)

i had a 96 and loved it as my first xj. i now have a 99 that i could not be happier with. after doing much research (forgot most) i concluded that the 99 is the best year cherokee.

I think it would be 98 or 99 right? Of course it's opinion as well but HP D30, 29 spline 8.25, best head (forgot which casting number), the only think it lacks is COP ignition.

The only thing I don't like about my 2000 is the LP D30. I've been through 2 4.0's and so far I haven't had any head problems at all... *knock on wood*

yeah, the LP D30 and the 0331 head casting are the biggest reasons I have for not getting an 00/01. Good point on the cali vs non cali emissions. My parts catalog and online parts store catalog trolling told me otherwise, but I'm really not too surprised about that.

Arguably, the '99 is the best XJ out of the box, but you would get different answers if you asked which year XJ is the best for mods. I'd probably go with a pre-96 body style if I were to do an extreme trail rig, and a blinged out 2001 for a mall-cruising, street hugging, babe magnet. Axle swaps, engine upgrades, and intended use typically erase the inherent problems with most models.

Back