• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt tension on Serpentine belt?

The way I do it is loosen the idler about half a turn, then adjust the tension with the "set screw" type bolt that's behind the power steering pump, then tighten the idler back up and check tension with the Krikit II. Repeat as necessary until the tension is with in spec.

Before I used to do it the "old school" guess and check method....if the belt couldn't be rotated 90* then I left it alone.

I will say, after getting the Krikit II, I didn't realize just how freakin tight the belt really needed to be....what I thought was perfect and what had been working almost just fine for me was WAY off. Using the Krikit to set the tension got rid of my belt squeal when the a/c was first cut on.

Not to rob the thread but....my belt squel's ONLY when the A/C is on. I've tightened the belt...pretty tight and still does it?? Ideas? could it be the compressor, sure does sound like the belt though.
O ya 91' 4.0

I check on one of the longer spans. The tension should be the same everywhere- you just need to ensure you have enough deflection for the Krikit to operate.

Do you need to release the tension after running a new belt for more than 15 minutes?

My tension is set to 200 for a brand new belt. Will that automatically release or will I need to release it again?

If I had to guess I would say a new belt to 190lbs so after about 15mins of run time it'll settle at 170. Once used and already stretched going back to 190;bs would probably put too much stress on it and stretch it out even more.

I've always done old school as I learned from my father and have never gotten belt squeals. I've always just 'felt' it on the wrench I used to tighten it, then double check with the < 1/2" deflection.

I have the KrikitII, and it works fine on our '92 and '95. But, on our two '96's, there's not an easily accessed length of belt long enough to check with the Krikit. On the short stretch of belt just off the PS pump, it registers tight even though the belt squeals with the A/C on. It's not the compressor causing the squeal, and I've overtightened the belt to where I've taken out the idler and the water pump. So, I just don't use the A/C- it's a shame, because it will work good when I try it.

Last edited:
I have the KrikitII, and it works fine on our '92 and '95. But, on our two '96's, there's not an easily accessed length of belt long enough to check with the Krikit. On the short stretch of belt just off the PS pump, it registers tight even though the belt squeals with the A/C on. It's not the compressor causing the squeal, and I've overtightened the belt to where I've taken out the idler and the water pump. So, I just don't use the A/C- it's a shame, because it will work good when I try it.
When tightening the belt, you shouldn't be able to twist it more than 90degrees forward or back.

I measured it after I pulled out the electric fan and the fan shield in front of the ac. Everything registered the same. :D

Thanks for the tip on the Krikit II, I scored one from NAPA yesterday ($18.95) After replacing my PS pump and belt last week, I thought I had the belt tight enough.......but the Krikit showed 110# of tension.....and yes, the belt would squeal like mad when the AC was on.

Set belt tension last night to 180# and all is well.

I haven't had good luck with the Krikit, I set belt tension with it (160 lbs with an fairly new belt). I ended up trashing the water pump bearing. It was tough to get a consistant reading from the gauge. I had to take an average of several readings and my results were not good. Bought a new pump / belt and used the 90 degree method, no problems since.

I haven't had good luck with the Krikit, I set belt tension with it (160 lbs with an fairly new belt). I ended up trashing the water pump bearing. It was tough to get a consistant reading from the gauge. I had to take an average of several readings and my results were not good. Bought a new pump / belt and used the 90 degree method, no problems since.

very old school :laugh:

Back