• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting and Checking the Tension on Your Serpentine Belt

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
How do the rest of you adjust and check the tension on your serpentine belt. I have a 2000 Cherokee and have tried using the NAPA guage, which is just like the gates guage, but I don't think I getting a good reading from it. There's not a good stretch of belt to use it on that I can get too. Don't want my belt too tight or too loose.
Thanks,
Bill

I use the krikit II gauge or whatever it is and find the longest section. Forget the spec off hand for what it should be.

I use the krikit II gauge or whatever it is and find the longest section. Forget the spec off hand for what it should be.

This; the upper most section of belt from the PS pump left to the water pump(?). I tend to prefer setting to the lower end of the specified tension.

After letting the engine idle for 10 - 15 seconds I take a few measurements to be sure I am getting consistent results.

I set mine, then start the Jeep and rev it up a few times. If it squeals, I tighten a little more and repeat until it goes away. Not the most scientific, but it's always worked for me.

This.

Your 2000 should have a 15mm adjustment screw behind the power steering pump on the idler pulley bracket.

This; the upper most section of belt from the PS pump left to the water pump(?). I tend to prefer setting to the lower end of the specified tension.

After letting the engine idle for 10 - 15 seconds I take a few measurements to be sure I am getting consistent results.

I think I go with the section between the alt and ac compressor maybe.

with a serpentine belt on most vehicles, they will need to be and feel tighter than V-belts. On the longest section you have (the way I do it) if you can easily turn the belt 90 degrees, it's not tight enough. A new belt will "feel" tighter than a used belt. A used belt is any belt after you have driven the thing for a day or two. If it's not screeching, and you think it's too tight, you can afford to loosen it a bit.

Back