• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beer or Alternative Fuels

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
AYING, Germany (AP) - Like most Germans, brewer Helmut Erdmann is all for the fight against global warming. Unless, that is, it drives up the price of his beer.

KIRSTEN GRIESHABER

And that is exactly what is happening to Erdmann and other German brewers as farmers abandon barley - the raw material for the national beverage - to plant other, subsidized crops for sale as environmentally friendly biofuels.

"Beer prices are a very emotional issue in Germany - people expect it to be as inexpensive as other basic staples like eggs, bread and milk," said Erdmann, director of the family-owned Ayinger brewery in Aying, an idyllic village nestled between Bavaria's rolling hills and dark forests with the towering Alps on the far horizon.

"With the current spike in barley prices, we won't be able to avoid a price increase of our beer any longer," Erdmann said, stopping to sample his freshly brewed, golden product right from the steel fermentation kettle.

In the last two years, the price of barley has doubled to about US$270 per tonne as farmers plant more crops such as rapeseed and corn that can be turned into ethanol or biodiesel, a fuel made from vegetable oil.

As a result, the price for the key ingredient in beer - barley malt, or barley that has been allowed to germinate - has soared by more than 40 per cent, to around 385 euros or $520 per tonne, from around 270 euros a tonne two years ago, according to the Bavarian Brewers' Association.

For Germany's beer drinkers that is scary news. Their beloved beverage - often dubbed 'liquid bread' because it is a basic ingredient of many Germans' daily diet - is getting more expensive. While some breweries have already raised prices, many others will follow later this year, brewers say.

Talk about higher beer prices has not gone unnoticed by consumers. Sitting at a long wooden table under leafy chestnut trees at the Prater, one of Berlin's biggest beer gardens, Volker Glutsch, 37, complained bitterly.

"It's absolutely outrageous that beer is getting even more expensive," Glutsch said, gulping down the last swig of his half-litre dark beer at lunch. "But there's nothing we can do about it - except drinking less and that's not going to happen."

A meagre barley harvest last year in Germany and barley-exporting countries such as France, Australia and Canada has compounded the problem. The price rise is squeezing breweries - many of them smaller, family-owned enterprises that can ill afford it.

The Ayinger Brewery, which has 65 employees and has been family owned since its founding in 1878, purchases most of the ingredients from farmers nearby.

Eventually, Erdmann and other brewers say, it is drinkers who will bear the brunt of the higher costs for raw materials.

Already, at the annual brewery festival in Aying this week, prices for Erdmann's Ayinger beer were up. That's no small matter for Bavarians, who are among the world's heaviest beer drinkers. They put away about 159 litres of beer a year - well above the already high German average of 115 litres per person.

And organizers of the world-famous Oktoberfest in Munich have announced a 5.5 per cent price increase: a one-litre mug will cost up to $10.70 at this year's autumn beer festival - the highest price ever.

Brewers predict that higher barley prices will add about $1.35 to each 10-litre case of beer, but the German Farmers Association disputes that, saying the figure is about 45 cents. Other factors like higher salaries and energy prices are also jacking up prices.

"The financial pressure on Germany's small and medium-sized breweries is immense," brewers association head Walter Koenig said. "The increasing costs of raw materials may become a serious threat for many breweries."

"Beer drinkers across the country will get upset when beer prices will rise even further in the fall," said Koenig. "We are therefore demanding that government stop its subsidies for biofuels immediately."

However, in its first major report on bioenergy, the United Nations tried to temper enthusiasm over biofuels last week, warning that the diversion of land to grow crops for fuel will increase prices for basic food commodities.

That is what happened in Mexico, when increased demand for corn to make ethanol in the United States pushed up the price of tortillas.

Barley production in Germany went down by 5.5 per cent in 2007, according to the Bavarian Farmers Association. On the other hand, the production of corn for biofuel more than doubled last year and the production of rapeseed for biofuel grew by 3.4 per cent.

Biofuels, which reduce the emission of greenhouse gases believed to cause global warming, have been seen by many as a cleaner and cheaper way to meet the world's soaring energy needs than with greenhouse-gas emitting fossil fuels. European leaders have decided that at least 10 per cent of fuels will come from biofuels by 2020.

Germany leads in the consumption of bioenergy in Europe with an annual usage of 4.3 per cent of overall fuel consumption, according to figures by the Agency of Renewable Energies. Germany also is among the leaders in producing wind energy and recycling garbage.

Beer prices are serious business in Bavaria, which has some 615 breweries and gave Germany its famed beer purity law, which dates back to 1516 and in its current form permits only four ingredients: malted grain, hops, yeast and water.

Farmers say the brewers share some of the blame.

"For years there was an oversupply and we couldn't make any profits with barley and that's why we switched to biofuel crops," said Anton Stuerzer, 43, who grows barley and rapeseed at his farm in the village of Hoehenkirchen.

"It serves the brewers right that they have to pay those high prices now," he said. "They should have paid us fair prices even when there was too much barley available."

Now here's my take on this;
The more I think of this, the madder I get! Last summer I was worried about paying for my Jeep, it's insurance, and my few other bills and putting gas in the truck by the end of summer and these people are worried about beer getting pricey! WHile now my XJ's paid off and my insurance has plummited, but I couldn't have been the only one! Now look at the stores, resturaunts, and gas stations that have lost money because of these gas prices are keeping people from spending money on other more important stuff. Anybody else agree?

bjoehandley said:
AYING, Germany (AP) - Like most Germans, brewer Helmut Erdmann is all for the fight against global warming. Unless, that is, it drives up the price of his beer.

The more I think of this, the madder I get! Last summer I was worried about paying for my Jeep, it's insurance, and my few other bills and putting gas in the truck by the end of summer and these people are worried about beer getting pricey! WHile now my XJ's paid off and my insurance has plummited, but I couldn't have been the only one! Now look at the stores, resturaunts, and gas stations that have lost money because of these gas prices are keeping people from spending money on other more important stuff. Anybody else agree?

Gas here was already around $5.25 a gallon or more, German TV is unwatchable unless your bombed. It's mostly about a families sitting around the kitchen table yelling at each other (reality TV).
Now with the spring drought and the Barley shortage, Beer is going up.
Next year they are planning on a luxury tax for watching grass grow or paint drying.
In Germany fun is a four letter word. They are even putting speed limits up on the autobahn.

bjoehandley said:

The effect of gas prices is already showing up in the retail chain, the big marts are suffering, their traditional 'customers' ones who live paycheck to paycheck have dropped close to 22% according to the WSJ with the last reports. The side notes are restraurants and electronics stores are also getting hit. My monthly train fare just went from $216 a month to $266 a month. Gas prices in NJ are hovering around $2.80 a gallon while it's still climbing here in PA to about $3.10 a gallon. Another side that will hit in Pa over the next 3 years are electric prices, alot of the electric companies to save money short term 20 years ago got into contracts that let them buy electricity at good prices, those contracts are now up for renewal, one town north of here in the poconos who renegotiated a new one had to raise electric rates 75% so in one month the average electric bills climbed from ~$150 to almost ~$300, man thats a big hit in the budget for middle income and a whopper hit for lower income families. In this area most homes built in the 70's, 80's and 90's even now are electric hot water, electric baseboard heat homes. My company, PP&L, will run out in 2010 and I imagine it's that way in a lot of areas.
I need to replace my front deck which I took down last summer, it was 14' x 40' across the front of the house and I'm considering putting in a passive 12'x40' sun room instead with a massive insulated rock filled heat sink tiled floor under it and taking down some of the trees in my SE facing front yard so I don't take such a beating during the winter, my winter bills run about $180, summer around $60-70 now. I'm already looking at 12'-16' long skylights that I can gang across the roof. Too bad I put a new roof on three years ago, if I was doing it today I would have used those new solar electric shingles, would have doubled the price of the roof materials but the payback under the old rates was like 5 years. Pa has just introduced a new subsidized program that will help with the costs so I may be getting another new roof in the near future. However with my daughter out of the house and living in philly we noticed a real big drop in electric. I attribute that to the hot water heater and her 3 showers a day, hair washing, 2000watt hair dryer and her not cranking up the heat in the winter because she's 'cold' and wearing shorts,tshirt and bare feet around the house in JANUARY, sheesh. Now we got my son and his 3 55 gallon fish tanks to contend with....

It's funny, last summer I told my boss that the fuel prices were hurting the store's sales and she told me no we just weren't trying hard enough to sell stuff (which is tough when people can't afford to have a hobby and don't come in the door....) I do think it has finally sunk in since she took her daughter to get her hair done the other day and even that cost her more than before because it now costs more to produce the products and ship the salon the stuff. BTW around here gas prices are between $3.45-$3.65 a gallon for 87 octane.

89Daytona said:
Beer and meat prices are increasing because of the use of corn as biofuel, there are better choices of crops to use for biofuels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_content_of_biofuel
Corn is one of the lowest gallons per acre producers of bio fuels, soy or even sunflowers produce more than twice as much oil/acre as corn....

Yea, but the farmer already has the harvesting equipment for corn probably 99% of the time.

The problem is a policy that pits food production against energy production. It is not all bad because the limited viability of this fiorst step has help fuel (pun inteneded) developemnt of other options.

Biofuels like Cellulose ethanol have begun to be produced from garbage and left over plant material. This does not complete for the food product just used the left overs. A much better option but only slowly gaining ground. Maybe in time you dump you weeds and grass clipping into community fuel processor.

Waste animal fats are under development as a source of biofuel.

I have heard bits about biobutanol. It has greater energy density the ethenol and is more compatible for mixing with the current dino fuel. Early biobutanol is produced from the same food crops. But once they get biobutanol economically produced from cellulose and other waste products it will be the best option yet.

As has been in the past there is great promise but unless the technology improves current process for biofuels will continue to have limited growth.

No one option we have now can individually replace the fossil fuels. It would be better to have multiple options. In the desert SW you are not going to grow acres of fuel but solar will be more affective. Wind is growing not every location has enough consistent air movement.

As renewable energy sources become more viable the investor will dump more money into the process. Governments might add subsidies like Germany. A 20 year guaranteed rate for solar energy. That will help you recoup costs!

I wonder which is more cost effective....
acres of alge tubes or acres of solar reflectors???

DaveW said:

Dave, on an environmental cost solar panels are actually very expensive to produce. They require toxic chemical, produce low-grade toxic waste and are very energy intensive to produce.

I like the pipe full of algae idea, good thinking there!

DaveW said:
Electric vehicles and the solar farms would have to be more efficient to compete as a "fuel" for vehicles. Right now solar/electric is not competitive enough for vehicle use.
"Each (solar)dish can produce up to 25 kilowatts, and the site (a solar farm) will eventually have 20,000 dishes stretching across 4,500 acres of desert" (4.5 dishes/acre = 113 kW/acre at max output)

For the production of algae the pipes can be placed next to eachother and stacked efficiently using land. And once the pipes are installed all you have to do is continuously feed and harvest the algae, there is no need for farm vehicles to run up and down farm rows burning fuel (like they would for corn and other traditional crops).

As far as efficiency, if biodiesel (what you make with the algae) has volumetric energy density of 34 MJ/L and you can produce 37850 L/acre. So you get 1286900 MJ/acre, which is 357,472 kWh/acre.

At the end of 2004 the entire United States only had 397 megawatts of solar-energy capacity. So if the specs on algea and my math is correct an acre of algae farm should produce almost as much power as all of the US solar farms in 2004.

some info on solar farms
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05/ontario_gets_mo.php
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_37/b3950067_mz018.htm
http://www.wired.com/science/planetearth/news/2005/11/69528

DaveW said:

SCW said:
Dave, on an environmental cost solar panels are actually very expensive to produce. They require toxic chemical, produce low-grade toxic waste and are very energy intensive to produce.

I like the pipe full of algae idea, good thinking there!

Concentrating solar is probably cheaper and more energy efficient than photovoltaics, as well as being more environmentally friendly - and will almost certainly be much more efficient than algae production.

For the real world, it's apples and oranges though, because most of our transportation isn't built to run on electricity. If we could ignore current infrastructure, solar electric would be the way to go. It still is, because we'll need the juice when we run out of natural gas in 5 years, but if we don't come up with a solution for replacing gasoline between now and then, I'm not sure it will make much of a difference.

Corn ethanol is a dead end period.

Cane ethanol or cellulosic ethanol have some potential, but it's just that - only some and only potential.

Biodiesel is still on the table, but barring the miracle algae solution, economics will probably dictate that it come from imported palm oil, which requires bulldozing the last of the rainforests. No point in mentioning third world labor exploitation, since that aspect will be unchanged.

Biobutanol is still a wild card, but it has the potential to be more efficient than ethanol as well as being a direct replacement/blend for gasoline (it's not corrosive like ethanol, and isn't hygroscopic, so it can be transported through existing pipeline). Also, I believe BP and DuPont are pursuing this, which gives it the corporate backing it needs to succeed (assuming the technology exists and is profitable).

Algae as a source for biodiesel or biobutanol is currently about as feasible as fusion. It looks promising on paper, makes for a great sound bite, and falls apart into a "just 20 more years and we'll have it" once you take a hard look.

http://www.nanostring.net/Algae/CaseStudy.pdf

Last edited:
a one-litre mug will cost up to $10.70 at this year's autumn beer festival

Did any of you guys catch this? I could go broke getting a buzz.

I spent a week before memorial day with a co-worker from Germany named Andreus. Training at home office. He and all Germans are way more concerned about the global warming thing because they are constantly reminded of how cold it used to be. He will flat out say "we don't get any snow anymore but we used to". I think they are bombarded by Goverment Control. For example their social security and retirment stuff has been spent up and is all but over. So his Goverment talks him and his country men into taking out a 30,000 Euro loan 40K $ to buy into a solar electric generating conglomeration. He is told that when the loan is paid off he will get a check every month based on his investment. The Goverment provides the loan, owns the solar plants and sells the electric back to you. New age communism if you ask me. He is has been so brain washed by all this that he really believes that Gemany and it's future will depend on how much the Germans invest back into the Goverment controled utilitys. See how Germanys goverment benifits from pushing global warming?

lilredwagn said:
Algae as a source for biodiesel or biobutanol is currently about as feasible as fusion. It looks promising on paper, makes for a great sound bite, and falls apart into a "just 20 more years and we'll have it" once you take a hard look.
http://www.nanostring.net/Algae/CaseStudy.pdf
Except some of the numbers he uses in that "report" are outdated or just plain wrong according to GreenFuel (the company the report mentions a bunch of times). Currently the GreenFuel bioreactor technology is used to reduce CO2 emissions from power plants and the byproducts of the process have multiple uses. If you consider all the uses of the byproduct (which that report didn't do) the entire algae biofuel process is much more cost effective than what Krassen Dimitrov is implying.

http://thefraserdomain.typepad.com/energy/2005/06/using_biomass_f.html
http://www.greenfuelonline.com/gf_files/algaefuel.pdf
http://www.oilgae.com/blog/2006/10/biofuel-made-from-power-plant-co2.html

I remember when I was 16 I went to visit my brother at UM-Rolla (he was finishing up his BS in MechEng). Short story: He told me I should drink beer 'cause it cost less than soda. I don't think that's true anymore, although it's still good advice.

89Daytona said:
Except some of the numbers he uses in that "report" are outdated or just plain wrong according to GreenFuel (the company the report mentions a bunch of times).
The reason GreenFuel is mentioned so frequently is because they are the most prominent algae energy company around - and they also are making impossible claims.

89Daytona said:
Currently the GreenFuel bioreactor technology is used to reduce CO2 emissions from power plants and the byproducts of the process have multiple uses.

The test plant in South Africa was a miserable failure

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article.php?a_id=106770

As of yet, GreenFuel has yet to show a working process for producing biodiesel from algae, much less use it for carbon sequestration. Last I heard, they had given up on the algae reactors and were trying to farm algae in ponds somewhere in the middle of Montana. Presumably well isolated from investors who own firearms.

lilredwagn said:
As of yet, GreenFuel has yet to show a working process for producing biodiesel from algae, much less use it for carbon sequestration.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-01-10-algae-powerplants_x.htm
"Fed a generous helping of CO2-laden emissions, courtesy of the power plant's exhaust stack, the algae grow quickly even in the wan rays of a New England sun. The cleansed exhaust bubbles skyward, but with 40% less CO2 (a larger cut than the Kyoto treaty mandates) and another bonus: 86% less nitrous oxide"

Back