• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beating the locker topic to death: Locked front, TrueTrac rear?

The OP posted this thread in 2011....

I sure hope he's made a choice by now.

Haha, I didn't even notice that, lol. Duh....

I'm now on my 3rd Auburn LSD and it's on it's way out. I sent the first two back since they have a good exchange program. Why do they require friction modifier like clutch LSD's do? I will have a True-Trac in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so it doesn't chatter. They've been using the Auburn LSD's since the '60's in some muscle cars. I've always had muscle cars and such and I've always stayed away from the Auburn's just because of the basically non rebuildable aspect of them. The Dana Trac-Loc (2 gear) and the Power-Loc (4gear) last longer, in my experience, and are easily rebuildable. I have no experience with the Tru-Trac in a racing environment so I'm not sure how long it will last. I have seen write ups on how to bulletproof the Tru Trac's, basically strengthen its weaknesses because they do wear. Google it.

Last edited:
No, their own site states that they still use the cone style LSD, no clutches as in no steels and frictions. Here;

http://aftermarket.auburngear.com/product-information/

Cone style is metal against metal. You can lump them into the clutch style if you want because in the end, they use friction to accomplish the limited slip action, they just do it without clutch friction material and steels.

I only spoke of Auburn and Dana LSD's, what other newer style LSD's use springs i don't know and I wasn't talking about them.

Auburn always has, and still does, use friction material between the metal cones, which are the side gears, and the carrier that the ring gear bolts to. When you disassemble a worn out Auburn, you won't find much if any, but if you were to disassembke a brand new Auburn, which noone ever foes, that friction material us in there, the sane friction material as you find on the clutch plates of an Eaton posi.

Just so it doesn't chatter. They've been using the Auburn LSD's since the '60's in some muscle cars. I've always had muscle cars and such and I've always stayed away from the Auburn's just because of the basically non rebuildable aspect of them. The Dana Trac-Loc (2 gear) and the Power-Loc (4gear) last longer, in my experience, and are easily rebuildable. I have no experience with the Tru-Trac in a racing environment so I'm not sure how long it will last. I have seen write ups on how to bulletproof the Tru Trac's, basically strengthen its weaknesses because they do wear. Google it.

Who cares if they're non-rebuildable in an application that'll never get anywhere near 100,000 miles? Both of mine still worked as intended even after well beyond 100k miles, and a daily driver V8 Camaro is far more abusive than a weekend-only 5-mph Jeep. Auburns work, they don't break, and they last a heck of a long time even whe. Abused. They're cheap because everyone has wrong ideas about them. Good enough.

Fine, if you like them, that's great! I have owned, rebuilt, and restored more than 30 vehicles in my time. I just tend to shy away from them, that's all. That is just my experience.

I'm glad that you like them. Everybody is different, that's why they make so many flavors of ice cream, not everybody likes vanilla. Have a great day!:wave1:

Back