• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joints install upper and lower

I'd be very leary about driving it at highway speeds, and for more than a very short distance, period. Call a flatbed.

i decided the only thing i lacked for this job was the patience and proper equipment so rented a ball joint press from advance auto since that was the only place i trusted the jeep to make it to without the knuckle falling apart. \
Now im about to try to tack this thing again I'll have to grind the spindle bolt off but i can use the new bolt with the ball joint as long as i successfully finish the job!!!!

I am very glad I live several hundred miles from you.

Every time I drive through NYC and see a red XJ I wonder if it's about to explode, fall apart, roll several times and careen headlong into me.

WHAT spindle bolt? You've got a 36mm nut on the end of the axle shaft, 3 12pt 13mm bolts on the hub, 2 caliper bolts, and 2 balljoints. What are you planning on grinding off?

No, don't tell me. Seriously. Call a flatbed and pay somebody else to fix it. I'm also quite glad you're a couple of thousand miles away.

I am very glad I live several hundred miles from you.

Every time I drive through NYC and see a red XJ I wonder if it's about to explode, fall apart, roll several times and careen headlong into me.

thats is so messed up kastein lmao...
but I got them out it was as hard as everyone said they were lol plus harder whoever has to do this just be prepared lol takes alot of brutal strength and then some my bottom ball joint was so rusted i had to ad a little dead blow action just to loosen it up.
I am so dreading pressing the knew ones in.. taking a 15 then ill get back to getting the new ones in.

I'll throw a freebie your way..... put your new balljoints in the freezer for half an hour.

lol there already in there lol yeah someone seem me going through hell getting them out said to put the new ones in for about a half n to heat up the area with a torch
thanks for confirming it was good advice i appreciate the help

I did my balljoints in a couple hours having never done them before in my life... with only what I remembered from a thread or two for instructions.

It's not THAT hard, the fact that you're getting it wrong really scares me. Between this and your "I was driving and it made a funny noise and I kept driving AND THEN THE WHEEL FELL OFF CAUSE I DIDN'T TIGHTEN THE LUGS ENOUGH" thread, you seriously have me wondering when your jeep is going to fall to pieces and kill someone.

I did my balljoints in a couple hours having never done them before in my life... with only what I remembered from a thread or two for instructions.

It's not THAT hard, the fact that you're getting it wrong really scares me. Between this and your "I was driving and it made a funny noise and I kept driving AND THEN THE WHEEL FELL OFF CAUSE I DIDN'T TIGHTEN THE LUGS ENOUGH" thread, you seriously have me wondering when your jeep is going to fall to pieces and kill someone.

kastein seriously man stop being so worried i learned a lot here most important lesson if u here something stop and check it out... lol
but seriously that wheel falling off was all my fault i let my brother help me and didn't even think he could mess up on something as simple as that but lesson well learned do everything yourself.

and about the ball joints i didn't mess up on it i didn't have a good enough press i thought i could use this harbor freight one for u-joints which is suppose to take out ball joints too well i proved that theory wrong.

anyway i went to a shop knew ball joints in hand and they tried to charge me 300 for both sides all i had was 100 dollars and change...
I went to a auto parts store rented the right press and went to work the only thing that really was out of the ordinary was a spindle nut i had to grind off from off the top ball joint it wouldn't tighten or come loose.
after grinding that thing off man I took those ball joints off and put the new ones in like a pro...
I was a little scared because the knuckle was moving as freely as before i put the new ball joints in.
But after starting the jeep and turning the wheel a couple times i seen it was just the effects of having brand new equipment..
after getting everything back together and test driving the jeep I was in love again... and all it cost me was a little time with my baby and some patience lol
one of these days si gotta do the other side..!!!!!
it really just took a lil muscle cause they are really in there and have to b put back just as well.

Yeah I greased the joints pretty well too after putting the wheel and everything back together turning the wheel seems pretty easy to do. Not what i expected from the stiffness in the knuckle but i guess it was just stiff because the ball joints are new.
Cause everything seems to operating just fine if u ask me lol

Back