• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint recommendations? Mostly stocker

rang-a-stang

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to refresh my front axle and want to put some new, long lasting ball joints in it. (2000, 4.0, axle is from a 1997)

I have used Mevotech ball joints on other cars of mine and have had good luck with them in the past. I used to use Moog problem solvers but the last 2 sets I have installed (not in Jeeps) have had boot cracks within 2 years.

Anyone have any recommendations for good ball joints? Again, I am pretty much stock and plan to stay that way. Tires are stock size, gears are stock, axle is open, and our XJ is pretty much a street queen other than the occasional dirt road. I prefer greaseable and my biggest requirement is looooong lasting.

With today's supply chain issues I think everything is a roll of the dice anymore.

That said, one more reason to avoid Moog Problem Solvers is that they are knurled in such a fashion that they expand the bores in the inner "C"s and thus leave you stuck running such joints forever. There are other brands that are also knurled. I would avoid those unless you already know you have a problem with your ball joints being loose.

I think Spicers were serving folks well. But that was several years ago. I don't know if that is still the current situation.

I welded spicers back in mine after the POs moogs failed and of course the spicers wouldn't fit any more. Still doing great after 85k postal miles.

Wouldn't argue with that - but it's no longer so simple.

If, like a lot of us, you have to buy mail order, chances are you wont know 'til they arrive but even if buying over the counter which do you chose, the reputable brand - but made in China/India/Poland/Mexico/Turkey/wherever OR the ones in the white box bearing the legend "Made in USA"?

The way I look at it is the originals which have lasted 20-odd years/1-200,000 miles were almost certainly the cheapest Jeep/Chrysler could find at the time so the chances are any replacements should last at least as long - but, to avoid getting ones made of putty, go for a known brand.

Super stoked! I got a complete front axle out of a 97 with 160k miles for $250. When I say complete, I mean axle nut to axle nut. they cut it out so all the hardware is there to put it in (along with hald of the control arms, sway bar links, shocks, etc). I hope to sell the brakes, unit bearings, knuckles, etc. I am dying to clean it up, paint it, re-lube it, throw in some ball joints/UJoints, and get it installed but not for a little bit.

Related question: Should I install axle end tube seals on a completely stock rig? I mean, I may see some deep mud and water but it won't be often at all...

Probably "No."

Those seals can trap moisture inside, creating a bigger problem than the one (if it exists at all) they are supposed to cure.

Probably "No."

Those seals can trap moisture inside, creating a bigger problem than the one (if it exists at all) they are supposed to cure.

X2, the factory wipers are cheap, easy to get, and do the job quite well!

Super stoked! I got a complete front axle out of a 97 with 160k miles for $250. When I say complete, I mean axle nut to axle nut. they cut it out so all the hardware is there to put it in (along with hald of the control arms, sway bar links, shocks, etc). I hope to sell the brakes, unit bearings, knuckles, etc. I am dying to clean it up, paint it, re-lube it, throw in some ball joints/UJoints, and get it installed but not for a little bit. . . .

I must be missing something, as I don't understand how this "new" axle helps if you're still going to replace the ball joints.

As an aside - $250? I'd be so well pleased if someone offered me that for both axles off my '96 (with, I think, less than 160k) I'd throw in what's left of it.

I must be missing something, as I don't understand how this "new" axle helps if you're still going to replace the ball joints.

As an aside - $250? I'd be so well pleased if someone offered me that for both axles off my '96 (with, I think, less than 160k) I'd throw in what's left of it.

I would assume he's talking about a 4x axle and here in the USA that's a good price!

Back