• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

balancing tires with BBs or golf balls

BrettM said:
without wheel weights.

I have 5 golf balls in each of my 35" MTRs and it balances great as long as I have the pressure over 30psi. If I put the pressure much lower I think the flat spot at the bottom of the tire is big enough that it causes the balls to bounce.

So you have a problem with bouncing balls when aired down on the trail? :laugh3:

The site that Jer referenced suggested a 35% increase in tread life, have you noticed an improvement from this type of balancing?

csuxj said:
So you have a problem with bouncing balls when aired down on the trail? :laugh3:

The site that Jer referenced suggested a 35% increase in tread life, have you noticed an improvement from this type of balancing?
yeah, balance is real important at 1/2mph ;)

I've never even heard them hit the wheel, street or trail. you can hear them rolling to a stop though at a stop sign.

thigh19 said:
The Problem with the sand is you have to use air with NO moisture in it, otherwise it balls up or turns to concrete. Kind of hard when you need to do a trail fix. I've used BB's in beadlock wheels and 35" tires and it was amazing the results. Use the "run-of-the-mill" steel BB's you can find at the discount store. Don't remember where I got this figure, but 8oz BB's per wheel worked. That's my 2 cents.
You realize that you are completely wrong. You're missing a very key ingredient....right now you just have wet sand, and the cohesive strength of it in a wheel being spun around will keep it from balling.

Fergie

i've only used 5 as that's what i heard of someone else having good luck with on the same tires. the type of golfballs don't matter as far as I know, I just got the cheapest ones at a sporting goods store. they work just dandy on the street and freeway if my tire pressure is over 30. sometimes if I'm on a windy road with potholes I'll get a little extra shake, but nothing real bad.

Im on my second set of BB balanced tires. This time I decided to have two machine balanced and two with BBs installed to see if I noticed a difference. Well I did the machine balanced tires need to be balanced again and the BB tires are doing great. I used Stainless steel sling shot BB's in mine about 9oz.

These views and opinions are strictly mine, By reading this you agree I am not liable in anyway shape or form for the mishaps with your jeep.
DIG IT!

I've used counteract in 31s on a Dodge Ram, it was my DD. I was very happy with it - no vibes and never had to worry about knocking off a wheel weight.

So the proper formula options for a 33" tire is......5 golf balls or 8 oz. of BB's or 1 fist full of sand or 2 KG of Dynabeads?

I'm gonna try 2 Titleist Pro V1's, 3.91 oz. of BB's, 1 4yr. old's fist full of sand, and .085 KG of Dynabeads......and for that little extra boost in mileage, 2 oz. of 100% pure acetone per tire.

XJEEPER said:
So the proper formula options for a 33" tire is......5 golf balls or 8 oz. of BB's or 1 fist full of sand or 2 KG of Dynabeads?

I'm gonna try 2 Titleist Pro V1's, 3.91 oz. of BB's, 1 4yr. old's fist full of sand, and .085 KG of Dynabeads......and for that little extra boost in mileage, 2 oz. of 100% pure acetone per tire.

I wouldn't go as far as wasting a Pro V1.

:laugh3:

XJEEPER said:

That is a little out of control... HA...JOE>

It doesn't matter what medium you use, the mass should be the same for the tire size you need. If you look at innovative ballancing's website they have a chart that will show you how much mass you need for your tire size.

Like my brother said earlier about the airsoft pellets. They're cheap. I paid $20 for all four tires and you don't have to run filtered valve cores. It does require unseating the bead, but that's not that big of a deal to me.

I would never run steel BBs because they will rust and eventually turn to dust. Sand sucks because it's not round and is slow to move to the imbalanced location. Golf balls are too big and basically not sensitive enough to correct small imbalances. I don't know much about equal. Dynabeads work well, but they are a bit more expensive.

I've been running Airsoft pellets for several months now and they work great. Cheap and effetive. That's what I'd suggest.

BrettM said:
airsoft pellets is the best idea i've heard so far IMO, but where can you get enough for 4 tires for $20? how many pellets is that? they come in .12 and .20 gram weights, right?

I bougt mine on ebay. Here's 1 Kilo of them for $12, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31684&item=7154869989&rd=1 There are always pellets for sale there so search for other auctions.

Take a look at this chart to know how much mass you need for your sized tires. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

The pellets are usually sold by the kilo. The above is 5000 .2g pellets which is 1K. So 1oz equals 28.4grams. My tires needed 10 ounces or 285 grams. I used about 1/3 of the bag for each tire. Its okay to put to much mass in because the extra will just find a nuetral place inside the tire and will not affect balancing.

Fergie said:
You realize that you are completely wrong. You're missing a very key ingredient....right now you just have wet sand, and the cohesive strength of it in a wheel being spun around will keep it from balling.

Fergie

Many things can make sand stick together and there are a million types of sand. Plus if a rig isn't driven regularly whats to stop the sand from forming a big clump at the bottom of the tire? I don't think he meant concrete litterally anyways.

basalt51 said:
Many things can make sand stick together and there are a million types of sand. Plus if a rig isn't driven regularly whats to stop the sand from forming a big clump at the bottom of the tire? I don't think he meant concrete litterally anyways.
Well, it would take more than just damp air to make the sand cohesive enough to stand up to being thrown around in the tire.

Also, so what if it forms at the bottom? Again, it won't stick together for long once it starts a spinnin'.

Fergie

Back