• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle hub help please

I may be mistaken, but the hub on the left , which you said you took off the jeep, is correct.

The hub on the right, which is the one you said they sold you is not the same.

You DID tell them you have a midsized Cherokee, Right? They made 2 "Wagoneer" models in 88'. One is a XJ with a Cherokee Wagoneer name.

They also made a Full Sized Wagoneer (J series) in the same year. I looked up the part and it looks identical to what's on your bench.

AFAIK all the fullsize cherokees had dana 44s, which use spindles, hubs, and wheel bearings not unit bearings.

It sure looks like a 90/91 or later unit bearing to me - the old one, that is. The new one is clearly different, whether it's appropriate for the year I don't know but it clearly won't fit the axle!

If I had to bet, a later year dana 30 was swapped in by a previous owner or shop. What rotors does it have? If you compare the existing unit bearing to one for a 90 (some say 90.5) through 99.0 4x4 XJ at the shop, it SHOULD match, else, a 99.5 through 01 XJ unit bearing will match. Make sure the distance from the bearing mounting surface to the rotor/wheel mounting surface is teh same and the circular ring at the center around the axle nut hole has the same height.

edit: I would be surprised if they don't have at least one of each of the 87-89 (some say 90.0), 90.5/91-99.0, and 99.5-01 bearings in stock. Every parts store I've ever been to stocks at least the middle one.

That is a later model knuckle, those are the caliper slider bolt mounts. The caliper ears are cast into the knuckle ... Whereas the earlier knuckles had the caliper ears as a seperate bolt on casting.

X2

AFAIK all the fullsize cherokees had dana 44s, which use spindles, hubs, and wheel bearings not unit bearings.

It sure looks like a 90/91 or later unit bearing to me - the old one, that is. The new one is clearly different, whether it's appropriate for the year I don't know but it clearly won't fit the axle!

If I had to bet, a later year dana 30 was swapped in by a previous owner or shop. What rotors does it have? If you compare the existing unit bearing to one for a 90 (some say 90.5) through 99.0 4x4 XJ at the shop, it SHOULD match, else, a 99.5 through 01 XJ unit bearing will match. Make sure the distance from the bearing mounting surface to the rotor/wheel mounting surface is teh same and the circular ring at the center around the axle nut hole has the same height.

edit: I would be surprised if they don't have at least one of each of the 87-89 (some say 90.0), 90.5/91-99.0, and 99.5-01 bearings in stock. Every parts store I've ever been to stocks at least the middle one.

:doh:
Your right.
The hub on the right has the stub seal in it, which they deleted on later models. The early knuckles also had bolt on caliper mounts, which that knuckle doesn't have (all cast).

I have no idea what the hell you are looking at Max but that is the back face of the ujoint yoke and an ABS tone ring.

That's a 91+ axle. I'll bet it doesn't have a disconnect on the passenger tube. You need the later model bearing. Take it back and take the one you pulled with you. Look at 91 and newer bearings and I'll bet you find a match.

That's a 91+ axle. I'll bet it doesn't have a disconnect on the passenger tube. You need the later model bearing. Take it back and take the one you pulled with you. Look at 91 and newer bearings and I'll bet you find a match.

quoted for truth.

It's also worth noting that the axle could still be a renix era 30, but with late model knuckles/hubs/brakes.

Either way, the OP needs late model hubs.

Back