• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Tiptronic Controller

Dingo509 said:
I think some of us understand the physical part of soldering all this together but not the operational part. So i have a couple questions.

1. First how do i go about looking up the IC's? I have tried to search for just a 4511 and can't find it.

2. I assume Vcc is positive voltage? Is this 5V or 12V? regulated or not?

3. What wattage should the resisters be?

Thanks for all the help.

Dingo

Well the nice thing about CMOS logic IC is that they have a wide opperation range. [usually 3-18Vdc] So I used a SPDT switch to turn off power to the TCU and redirect it to my controller and filtered it with a 1000uF capacitor. The resistors are all 1/4W. You should be able to just google the IC numbers thats how I usually do it.
4511 - 7 Seg driver.
4516 - Up/Dn counter
4001 - Quad 2 input NOR
4081 - Quad 2 input AND
4069 - Hex Inverter ( I used this instead of the 7404, which is the part my schmatic prgm had in it, ya I'm lazy)
7414 - Hex Schmitt Trigger Inverters
4013 - Dual D Flip Flop

HTH

Fletch

90 XJ 4.0 AW4 w/Tiptronic 242
D30 Currie HP9 disc all round
4.10 ARB both ends
OBA, Xantrex 1750+
Dual Optima
K&N, Safari Snorkel
8" lift Rancho9000x w/in-cab
35"MTRs
M8000 multi mount

I've got a question for you. Could a controller like this be used as a stand a lone tranny controller? I've heard that it is complicated to swap a different motor into a AW4 cherokee or swapping an AW4 into a different vehicle due to all of the wiring. I am picking up a 92 4.0 5speed comanche this weekend and its got a blown peogeut 5 spd. I was considering swapping a AW4 if I could without having a wiring nightmare. Thanks

jeeppowermj said:
I've got a question for you. Could a controller like this be used as a stand a lone tranny controller? I've heard that it is complicated to swap a different motor into a AW4 cherokee or swapping an AW4 into a different vehicle due to all of the wiring. I am picking up a 92 4.0 5speed comanche this weekend and its got a blown peogeut 5 spd. I was considering swapping a AW4 if I could without having a wiring nightmare. Thanks
Yes, entirely possible.

mecompco said:
Surely someone will design a PCB for this? Please?!

I am working on a similar project right now but with a few other features. I am hoping to get the first batch of boards made within a month. I'll post up when I do.

CW said:
I am working on a similar project right now but with a few other features. I am hoping to get the first batch of boards made within a month. I'll post up when I do.

TEASE!!!

What "other" features are we looking at?

Since everyone is designing these things is there a way to have the controller lock up the torque converter in all gears (except maybe first) and then monitor the TPS and unlock it at a preset (or adjustable) level. Basically have it work more like a clutch. so with exception of WOT, Brake, and shifting the TQ would be locked?

My idea for this came from my 01 Stratus Coupe R/T that had autostick. it worked this way and the throttle response was great. A lot better than the XJ.
Just my $.02 worth.

Dingo

Thats right along the lines of what I'm working on. A manual mode, a "sport manual", and a "sport auto" mode. Trying to keep costs, packaging, and wiring to a minimum is tough though. The auto mode is to make the swap from a manual easier but it's proving a little hard.

Just to let you know CW...
CartsXJ said:
Just to let you know..........its been done.......just missed the boat.
:cheers:

I'm just bugging.
Any way the thing I designed will allow you to lock up the converter in all gears and unlocks when you up or down shift then you can lock it up again.
I'd be interested in seeing your design CW when you get one done.

My design is really similar to yours exept with the addition of a tach, tps monitoring, and a braking input. This also gives an opportunity to have a digital tach, throttle display, a brake indicator light and shift light. Enough LED bling to satisfy anybody. I have working circuits for all of the seperate componants, I just have to integrate them.

Hello all interested,
After some use this winter I have come up with a few design changes that lend better to the fluctuating voltage seen in older XJs. So I've made a schematic and it posted on GoJeeps website. You can find a link to it at the bottom of his artical on the simpler switch control.
Thanks for all the interest and a special thanks to GoJeep for hosting the file.

GoJeep

Fletchs90xj said:
Hello all interested,
After some use this winter I have come up with a few design changes that lend better to the fluctuating voltage seen in older XJs. So I've made a schematic and it posted on GoJeeps website. You can find a link to it at the bottom of his artical on the simpler switch control.
Thanks for all the interest and a special thanks to GoJeep for hosting the file.

GoJeep

Man is it me or is this just BEGGING for a nice write up with pictures? You know for those of us who are handy with a soldering iron but not a degree in Electrical Engineering?

Anyone?:dunno:

Yeah i agree. Or at the very least a detailed drawing of the circuit board itself. I have tried drawing out a board and i'm just not having any luck. The wires keep crossing, i can do it with a 3 layered board but i think that's over my abilities to solder together. I plan on building this as soon as i can get the board figuered out. If i can get some help with that part i'll get the pics and a decent write up.

Dingo

Hi Guys,

Fletch can u tell me:

1) if you have this controller built as per your diagram and that it works on the tranny?
2) what happens if you shift "up" when you are allready in 4th/OD, does it go back to 1st! could be bad for the tranny esp. at speed

i have been playing on my PCB design software and will have a board drawn up any day now ( if your diagram is correct the board will work) will post the board here for all to use :)

1) if you have this controller built as per your diagram and that it works on the tranny?
2) what happens if you shift "up" when you are allready in 4th/OD, does it go back to 1st! could be bad for the tranny esp. at speed
#1: yes I have and it works just like it should
#2: If you shift to 4th and try to up shift it won't do anything just stays in 4th same on the low end. If you shift with the TC locked it will unlock and shift.

That link is old. [ sorry I can't edit the first post] the new one is on GOjeeps web site here

Has anyone built one yet?? I'd like to know.

In general I like your design. It looks well thought out and stable. The things I would consider doing differently are:

1) Decode the display from the solenoids so it is accurate even in auto.
2) A brake pedal input to unlock the TC.
3) Monitor the solenoid status in auto so when switching from auto to manual it stays in the same gear. This would also require a change in how and where the power is switched.

rpyne said:
In general I like your design. It looks well thought out and stable. The things I would consider doing differently are:

1) Decode the display from the solenoids so it is accurate even in auto.
2) A brake pedal input to unlock the TC.
3) Monitor the solenoid status in auto so when switching from auto to manual it stays in the same gear. This would also require a change in how and where the power is switched.

I was considering those when designing, another thought was making the limit of up coincide with the shifter position. But overall I wanted to stick to K.I.S.S. The more cmos gates you put it the more chance of lag between gates making grey areas.

I found better trans braking with the TC locked so thats why no brake pedal input but also very possible.

Thanks for the input and let me know if you implement any of the above, I'd like to see the design.

Fletch

Ok, so just finnished the PCB design :roll: will have one prototype build and then run some test on the bench, just to make sure I routed it all correct. can post some pics of the board in the interim if you wish

was a bastard to route tho, had the comp do most of the routing....:wow:

please note: I branded the PCB as a "Kevin Fletcher Design" and tho he did not copyright it i feel it is only right that we respect his work and effort

ok now for the prototype...

will keep ya posted

Back