• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Tiptronic Controller

trainwrexj said:
what's wrong with making a similar product with a different approach? if all of your logic with regard to "it's already been done" applied to the last 100 or so years of technology, we'd still be driving model T fords or something. let the guy do his thing. if it sucks, big deal! if it's awesome, hey - something new for the jeeping community. i don't see a problem with it.

Welcome to NAXJA were some like to be "ASS" whenever they can,makes the site just great you think...

Last edited:
Now if you want to corner a market that Brett has not, look at the problem doing this mod on an ODBII. I'm thinking something that looked at what gear the TCU is trying to set and provided the appropriate fake speed signals back the the TCU would avoid the whole check engine light problem.

Or figure out if the TCU can be controlled directly via the diagnostic port.

Also, something more plug-n-play that had the right connectors would probably sell better. Some folks are very uncomfortable cutting and splicing and would probably pay more for a solution that avoided "scary" wiring.

I got one of bretts shifters in my 88 xj and it doesn't work at all.His phone is out of wack and his email too. I'd be interested in something that works.

dan said:
I got one of bretts shifters in my 88 xj and it doesn't work at all.His phone is out of wack and his email too. I'd be interested in something that works.
Hey now, let's be fair.

You said you would check the connections I asked about with a multi-meter, and you still haven't got back to me on that. I have had a handful of people call or email saying their controller isn't working, so far every time it has been an instance of the user hooking up the wires wrong. In fact Mike Shaffer (Shaffers Offroad) and Lance Clifford (Pirate4x4.com) just hours ago won the 1700 class of the Baja 1000 using one of my shifters they ordered 2 weeks ago and didn't install until the day before they left.

This thread is not about my product.

Last edited:
brett just got me need to check voltages i didn' get your PM I got word you sent it but it didn't showup

brett just got me need to check voltages i didn' get your PM I got word you sent it but it didn't showup. Dan

Hey everyone,

I just descovered a weird quark in this controller. Well its been really damp and cold where I live the last few days so I've been using the heat/defroster for the front windshield. Well I noticed that when the fan is on at any speed it confuses the controller with EMI in the DC power. To rectify this I installed a 1000uF Capacitor across V+ and GND. This got rid of the problem.
Hope this helps anyone who ventures to make this project.

Fletch
[PS. I'm sure someone else has built the same truck]

90 XJ 4.0 AW4 242
D30 Currie HP9 disc all round
4.10 ARB both ends
OBA, Xantrex 1750+
Dual Optima
K&N, Safari Snorkel
8" lift Rancho9000x w/in-cab
35"MTRs
M8000 multi mount

Fletchs90xj said:
Hey everyone,

I just descovered a weird quark in this controller. Well its been really damp and cold where I live the last few days so I've been using the heat/defroster for the front windshield. Well I noticed that when the fan is on at any speed it confuses the controller with EMI in the DC power. To rectify this I installed a 1000uF Capacitor across V+ and GND. This got rid of the problem.
Hope this helps anyone who ventures to make this project.

Fletch
[PS. I'm sure someone else has built the same truck]

90 XJ 4.0 AW4 242
D30 Currie HP9 disc all round
4.10 ARB both ends
OBA, Xantrex 1750+
Dual Optima
K&N, Safari Snorkel
8" lift Rancho9000x w/in-cab
35"MTRs
M8000 multi mount

Sounds familiar...I had that same problem with a digital potentiometer controller I was making for a small electric vehicle. Worked great on a bench until we actually tried to juice the motor, then the controller went all funny from EMI through the power supply. Ended up running an isolated battery just for all the electronics.

As rudimentary and trailsafe as my XJ has become these days, I still like seeing cool custom electronics to do stuff in vehicles. My last attempt was a remote relay switching system, connected to a 6-switch in-dash panel using CAT-5 cable etc...worked awesome until I swamped it 3 feet under water. :nono:

Fletchs90xj said:
Hey guys,
I just finished development on a manual push button shift controller for the AW4. It also has a torque converter output and output for a 7seg led display.
If anyones interested email me for a copy of my schematic.

PS. the project is a little involved to build.

Fletch

Can you e mail me the schematic. IM is down.

[email protected]

Hey everyone, due to popular demand for the schematic I'm going to post the link here cause I can't keep up with the response.

Thanks for all your interest in my design.
Fletch
Tiptronic AW4 logic controller Schematic

Last edited:
I think some of us understand the physical part of soldering all this together but not the operational part. So i have a couple questions.

1. First how do i go about looking up the IC's? I have tried to search for just a 4511 and can't find it.

2. I assume Vcc is positive voltage? Is this 5V or 12V? regulated or not?

3. What wattage should the resisters be?

Thanks for all the help.

Dingo

Back