• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Tiptronic Controller

does anyone know what a PLC is?

Programmable Logic Controller

I don't have any experience with them, yet. But as far as i can tell it will monitor a set amount of inputs then according to a program that you have to write, will turn on or off a set amount of outputs.

So in this project you could theoretically program several different Auto shift programs, as well as a full manual shift. You only limits would be the amount of inputs/outputs, And the amount of internal memory.

Since i found out about them i could also see designing full automatic climate controls, All kind or automatic lighting/electrical controls. Rain sensing wipers, auto dimming headlights etc.

They are mainly used in industrial machinery so i wouldn't worry if they will hold up to the abuse in a jeep. Water might be there only enemy. but I'm pretty sure vibration will be nothing to worry about.

Dingo

I have built a ton of PLCs for industrial machinery. They will do almost anything you can think of and are tough as hell but be prepared to pay...a lot.

I have built a ton of PLCs for industrial machinery. They will do almost anything you can think of and are tough as hell but be prepared to pay...a lot.

I actually Talked to another User on here that had used a PLC to control the AW4 he used a different unit, but he suggested i try this one;
Automation Direct PLC
At around $120 plus the $10 cable it will get you into the world of PLC's

If you want to try your hand at programming a PLC simulation i was referred to the following book;
Programmable Logic Controllers by Frank D. Petruzella

Dingo

So did anyone ever get it working with the cleaned up schematic BB1980 did? I am not afraid of Radio shack or a soldering iron but I don't want to start something that I wont be able to finish without an engineering degree.

Man I wish I had sprung for the kit while he had it available.

I don't know CD4xxx series CMOS logic as well as I know 74LSxxx TTL logic, but I'll probably take a peek at this later tonight

Had a look at your link. I had thought about the PLC route but I am cheap ;) I had parts drawers of CMOS chips lying around so it cost me nothing. I had also thought after the fact of adding the shifter position "limits", but I am lazy as well, so I never got around to it. 5 yrs later and my original is still working without issue.
Good Luck

Cool. As for tripping the check engine light, someone else here reverse engineered the TCU board and determined that the driver circuit senses an open or short circuit. So just letting the TCU drive a dummy load instead of the solenoids should avoid a bad solenoid code. I saw an ad for a manual shifter that uses this trick to avoid the CEL. Powering down the TCU will trigger a P0700 code I believe.

Lawsoncl - thanks for that, have you got a link to the post at all?

Fletchs90xj - good to hear yours is still working :). Hopefully mine proves to be as stable as yours! I think by doing it on an ardunio makes it a bit more accessible to people, just waiting on the postman now.

Sorry to sound stupid, but do you mean search the forum? I searched for both TCU and TCM and it comes back saying no results??

Back