• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting early!

Yes in my first post I've adjusted it 100 time's, and after driving down the hwy for a little while its acts totally normal. Shifts fine and all! Its seems like when it cools down it acts up

Okay as the weekend progressed the jeep is shifting fine cold or at operating temps, I'm still unsure what it was could have a combo of everything, but I'm happy now thanks everyone!

Okay some news, so I am towing my small dirt bike trailer Saturday to my local track jeeps been driving and shifting normal, but Sunday it starts shifting early again exactly how it was before. So I run out the hwy for about 10minutes at about 60mph come back into town and its normal. But later in the day it
Acts up again! Im starting to think its the torque converter? Any ideas?

Bummer.. i would look into those solenoids you put in there. If it has been working fine for a while i would think its the solenoids that control the converter. Ohm the new solenoids you replaced make sure they're not shorting some where, causing early shifts. Shifting early isn't really the torque converter

Well I ohm tested them at the plug under the hood and they were perfect. And also tested them under the dash and still no different tested great. Idk to me it seems the TC locks when it shifts from 1to 2 and stays locked until I'm almost at a stop the rpms drop all the way down to about 200rpms and then it will release and go to normal idle..

problem is still with me, and i can make it go away for almost a day if i drive out the hwy at 60-70 mph for 10 mins. then it drives normal the rest of the day... i feel its mechanical not electrical. its got me totally stumped.. please help :/

well guys transmission is still acting up the same way i even put a new mopar tps in it.. ive just been driving it, dosnt seem to get better or worse. its really irritating to drive though. i think ill disconnect the tcu and check that again. i really hope its not the solinoids they are just about a year old. i might pull them out and see if they work. im going to fiddle with the kick down cable again today. please help me, this problem makes me want to sell this thing lol

on a side note my hvac is stuck on defrost mode no matter where i put the dial. i know its a vacuum leak could that effect the shifting?? thanks

obviously fixing the vacuum leak is the right thing to do, the only way it would affect the trans is if the engine was running really shitty. Have you tried a different TCU? What are the upgraded solenoids? You might want to get OEM solenoids. Do you know what your line pressure is?

i fixed the vacuum leak and that fixed the hvac problem, its so nice to have the ac in my face now lol. i have not tried a different tcu, and i also dont know my line pressure, a thought just came to mind though, when i installed my trans cooler i didnt bipass the stock one just pretty much tied in to it im thinking i should eliminate it altogether so it just uses the new cooler and radiator, maybe its causing some kind of restriction?

so it should go (trans - radiator - cooler - back to trans) correct.

unless the cooler in the rad or your aux cooler is plugged, it shouldn't restrict at all. Everyone had that same set up.

There could be a problem with your speed sensor on the transmission. If it's defective maybe it defaults to early shifting.

I was thinking it could be an issue with the transfer case gear sensor or the transmission input speed sensor. Sounds kind of like the tcu is thinking the tcase is in low gear, though I would kind of expect it to throw a code when it realizes the engine speed doesnt match the output speed, but that might not be checked at all for plausibility. Does it seem like the shifts happen at 1/2.72 the RPM that they should?

You know that does make some sense... It does feel like its about half the rpm it should be. Is there anyway I can test the sensors? Im gunna put it in 4low and see how it shifts

alright i drove around in 4low for a minute and no it dosnt shift like it does in 4low so thats not it.. when im around town it will kinda hesitate slightly like it wants to shift normal then the rpms drop alot.. but i went down the hwy for about 5 mins and the problem went away like it usually does, i have a strong feeling its the TC. maybe running at 60-70 mph does something to the pressure or something...

what scanner are you using? Does it show trans data? That way you could see what the input/output speed sensors are showing. both of these are different front the speedo sensor in the tcase.

Back