• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting early!

check every and all fuses in the block and replace if necessary. even if a dome light fuse ect.. Im looking at a diagram it looks like fuse#10,11,16,25 are within the trans wiring circuit

I had a problem with my aw4 a while back, if i knew what i know now about it i would have been done alot sooner, so im trying to help you. I would check the wiring at the TPS for ground and input voltage and output voltage. If you have a diagram it will make it easier.
At the TPS with the ignition ON not RUNNING:
Brown/yellow is your ground
Orange is your 5volt reference (should have close to 5volts)
Orange/dark blue is your TPS signal for the TCU and PCM (this changes with throttle movement)

Make sure you check the voltage using the ground on the sensor, and not ground on the chassis/engine.

Well it holds first gear for ever idk if it'll shift to second lol and if I put it in 3 it still does it 1-3. Then if I put it in D then it'll drop waaay down in rpms

Basically, what he is asking is.. if you disco the TCU and shift manually when you drive, is it the same or better?You will not have 2nd gear with TCU disco. but lockup should still work.
If you have not done this, disco. the TCU and drive it as such. You will have to manually shit it.

Well update I took it out the hwy and floored it through all the gears from about 10mph to 75mph and set cruise at 70. Came into town to the stop light and it didn't act like it was going to die coming to a stop.. And it doesn't seem to shift so early.. Ill cruise at 30mph at about 1100-1200 rpm. Can any one tell me if that's right?

If I drive under 45mph I'll keep it in 3rd. Like in town driving. Cause mine will up shift in to 4th around 40-45 and its too high of a gear, so I i have to accelerate at all it has to drop to 3rd.

So no what you described doesn't sound that bad. Unless mine is off also but I don't believe it is. I've had to do that with all my cars. It's like if you have a 5spd manual, you're not going to drive around @30mph in 5th gear.
That said, are you still getting codes?

Well scratch that its back at it again :/ once it cooled down over night its doing the exact same thing I'm headed about an hour out of town today I'll see if it acts up or changes. This is frustrating!!

Back