• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 Shift Controller and LED Gear Indicator Mod

I forgot. There are a few other senders that are not hooked up. the original jeep water temp, oil pressure, and Aircon sensors are not hooked up. This is a SE body with dummy lights. So I installed my own direct reading gauges for temp and pressure. There are some other open ended wires on the harness as well, but I am not sure what they go to now. When I said all sensors are hooked up I meant all the trans sensors, CPS, and the throttle body.

Finished working on this controller today. After some minor wiring issues, all is working great.
No CEL's, no extra switches used or needed to turn on-off. No manual TC control.
Made a 'patch cable' to tap and intercept and wires needed on one and went right into the TCU and made all the wiring connections needed on another one.

Have 2 versions.

1-uses the RAD shifter where in 4th gear position, the trans works just as normal. Move the shifter to 1st, 2nd or 3rd position and it holds the trans in that gear and shifts as you move the RAD shift lever. No separate TC lockup switch- lets the TCU control TC lockup as usual. LED reads what gear you are in 1-4 and 5 when TC is locked. LED display only comes on when stock shift selector is in D/OD, 3, or 1-2. LED goes blank when in P, N, R.

2-uses the switches and LED in the vent area. Works exactally the same.

Pics and video to come.

Can you please share how to wired/controlled the LED display?

Is this the same one from leadfoot aka froehlich suspension or whatever he called it?

Is this the same one from leadfoot aka froehlich suspension or whatever he called it?

No. Leadfoot is still working on his and doing the work himself.

I already have my rail shifter installed and I'm very happy with it, however I do wish I had gear indication on my dash in my line of sight somewhere... do you have a diagram, showing how you made the gear indication? Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread... or maybe you want to sell me one :)

I already have my rail shifter installed and I'm very happy with it, however I do wish I had gear indication on my dash in my line of sight somewhere... do you have a diagram, showing how you made the gear indication? Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread... or maybe you want to sell me one :)

cf1d811a-755b-4f3d-8dac-f68a35f61707.jpg

The led on the left is torque converter lockup and the one on the right is a 3 color LED, Red for first, Amber for second, Green for third and off for 4th.

This is the LED that I bought, http://www.frys.com/product/1333616 It has 1 wire for red, one wire for green and a common ground. The wiring was easy just wire up each leg (with a resistor) to each of the transmission solenoids.

I'm gonna sell them, will be adding them to the website this week.

I actually have that gipro on my bike right now... but it does more than just gear display....

On my Suzuki, the ecu sees a different resistance for each gear. It uses this information to change the ignition and fuel mapping for each gear. It does this to limit the power in first and second gear to make the bike easier to control for newbies. The gi pro intercepts that signal to the ecu and makes it think the bike is always in 5th or 6th gear (you can program it depending on the mapping you want) so that is doesn't retard the timing or fuel mapping in any gear.

Gives the bike a lot more power in the low gears for the fun riding :)

Finished working on this controller today. After some minor wiring issues, all is working great.
No CEL's, no extra switches used or needed to turn on-off. No manual TC control.
Made a 'patch cable' to tap and intercept and wires needed on one and went right into the TCU and made all the wiring connections needed on another one.

Have 2 versions.

1-uses the RAD shifter where in 4th gear position, the trans works just as normal. Move the shifter to 1st, 2nd or 3rd position and it holds the trans in that gear and shifts as you move the RAD shift lever. No separate TC lockup switch- lets the TCU control TC lockup as usual. LED reads what gear you are in 1-4 and 5 when TC is locked. LED display only comes on when stock shift selector is in D/OD, 3, or 1-2. LED goes blank when in P, N, R.

2-uses the switches and LED in the vent area. Works exactally the same.

Pics and video to come.

Is there any progress on the pic and video and possible finished kit?

Back