• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto insurance claims, accident reports.....?s

children" end up being in positions of authority - where they write the rules, or influence how they are written, or have themselves in positions where they can take advantage of the disparity between them and the rest of us.

Not all children, some are just very clever crooks.

Reminds me of the Star Trek Kobayashi Maru story. He who writes the rules (Or in Jame T. Kirk's case, rewrites the academy graduation final test program which was a no win scenario, until Kirk rewrote the program) wins the game.

The smart, lazy people go into politics so they can write their own rules, and thus win the game, namely power and money. As kids we called it Monopoly.

I do get your point about kids, just saying they are not all kids. I would not call Dick Chaney a misguided child, GW Bush, yes, but slick Ol'Chaney, no.

I think you have miss read us both, or least me. Governments already have as much control or power as they chose to try and exercise at any one time (for the most part anyway), note that I said try.

It's the rules, and regulations we want changed. In general, we want them changed to favor of individual rights over "corporate rights to profit" at the expense of most law abiding individuals.

Nope, I didn't misunderstand at all. The flaw in your thought process is that what you are proposing is limiting the rights of others. Why should you have the "right" (uh...yeah, you don't have this "right btw) to make a living and charge as much as you want to make such a living and not the next guy? Yano, the guy who runs that big corp that you don't like so much? What's worse, why should the government police such activities?

If you don't like a particular business model, don't use their product and do whatever else is legally in your power to go against them and help changes the minds of others. Expecting the government to "fix" what you view as a problem is doing exactly what you're complaining about. You have become that which you are fighting against. You way does not assume any accountability for yourself and is asking someone else to be responsible. That's what created the mess to begin with!

Am I against big business? Yep. Am I against big government? Yep. But until people decide to stand up for themselves and take responsibility for their own actions we are left with the system that we have in place.

This whole conversation started because someone "blamed the lawyers" and I responded with it is not the legal communities' fault, it is the fault of those that pay us to do what we do so well. We work within the system that you (used collectively, not personally here) have created, or allowed to be created, for us. The lack of accountability and desire to have someone else "fix" the problem has brought us here.

Hell the current credit card agreements basically read that I the banker can do anything I damn well please, anytime I please, for any reason I please, and that I screw you over any way I please, on top, on bottom, dogie style, or any style, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it, while I rape loot and plunder you, your wife, first born, your retirement, your house, et al. What kind of regulation is it that allows them to screw us, but not the other way around, al in the name of free enterprise?

Seriously? Are you complaining about an industry that makes a living out of letting others "borrow" money should not be allowed to set their terms on the "loans" that they make? Are you honestly saying, "Hey, lend me money and I'll pay it back on my terms, not yours"? Maybe I misread that, but uh...yeah, that's what it sounds like.

If you don't like the terms, don't use the service. End of story.

As for 5-90's comment regarding social security and whatnot...uh...yeah, tell me again why I should be responsible for making sure someone else is taken care of? How did it become my responsibility to provide for some stranger I have never, and will never have met? Why should my family suffer so that his/hers can be a little more relaxed?

For everyone else....

Want to read something interesting? Read the United States Declaration of Independence. But while you read it, compare what was written with our current political climate. Think about how closely our current government resembles that which the colonists gave their lives to combat. What does it say about when a government ceases to serve the people?

I want to thank everyone for there advise here. (even the one's I ignored and disagreed with)

Allstate just called me, this morning to offer me a check for $1,000 for the damages to my jeep. Check's in the mail folks! :yelclap:

And the stock market is back up today! party1:

It's going to be a good day I think.

Oh, and 5-90, I have not seen any rocks falling here, YET!:shiver:

LOL! That's great man....now, go buy Exxon/Mobil stock...I hear good things are coming for them. ;)

Wow, more interesting advice (I am holding my tongue here) Thanks but no thanks on Exxon/Mobil, there are much better stocks to buy that will actually go up a bunch this year. Most oil and gas stocks are not a good bet this year, IMHO. One of my stocks is up 50% today, another 14% and a third 10% just this morning.

I want to thank everyone for there advise here. (even the one's I ignored and disagreed with)

Allstate just called me, this morning to offer me a check for $1,000 for the damages to my jeep. Check's in the mail folks! :yelclap:

And the stock market is back up today! party1:

It's going to be a good day I think.

Oh, and 5-90, I have not seen any rocks falling here, YET!:shiver:

OMG,

The entire India stock market closed up 17% today! Kicking myself for waiting to buy TATA stock (ADRs), which is ip 22%.

LOL! Now, while I have heard interesting rumors about Exxon/Mobil, I only suggested them to you cuz I knew you'd disapprove of the suggestion. :)

:laugh:

Seriously? Are you complaining about an industry that makes a living out of letting others "borrow" money should not be allowed to set their terms on the "loans" that they make? Are you honestly saying, "Hey, lend me money and I'll pay it back on my terms, not yours"? Maybe I misread that, but uh...yeah, that's what it sounds like.

If you don't like the terms, don't use the service. End of story.

I was suggesting that the bank (Creditor) should not unilaterally have the sole option to change the terms they see fit to change after the fact, anytime they wish with no justification, to any new terms they choose, no matter how unreasonable they may be, which is basically what most current credit card agreements say.

Banks can and do lobby Washington for every advantage they can squeeze out Washington to squeeze borrowers with to their advantage, so that they can squeeze, seize and own us into monetary slavery. Why shouldn't we have the right to lobby for ourselves, and to lobby for reasonable, level handed treatment by the banks. After all they need our permission to exist and operate, we do NOT need their permission to exist and live. We decide what rules they do or do not operate under. Or least that is the way it is supposed to work. Big $$ and the lobby power of big Money has changed that for far too long. I see no problem with limiting the legal ability of banks to lie, cheat. steal and plunder their way to unlimited profits at the expense of the American Public.

Most current credit card agreements are nothing more than a cold blooded license to indescriminatly steal at will. There is no real upper limit to where the interest rates can go anymore, according to most current CC agreements.

For some reason people seem to confuse a free market economy with anarchy. A free market does work in a total vacuum (meaning no laws, limits, or rules), only anarchy does, last years crash being a perfect example of what happens when you let the wolf run the hen house.

Even Paulson had to finally buckle up and eat is own "Freemarket" thinking and us Government aid to save the world financial system because of the mess they created from letting the Wolf pack guard the Hen houses!

The trick is moderation, or a balance between free market economics, and government oversight. Greek philosophers called it "The Golden Mean"! Too much of anything has been proven time and again to be bad.

Oh, and thanks again for the Exxon/Mobil stock suggestion, but I did much better today with my own stock pick, PRGN. It was up about 50% on the day at one point after hours, and it is still a great buy. :wave1:

Last edited:
Nope, I didn't misunderstand at all. The flaw in your thought process is that what you are proposing is limiting the rights of others. Why should you have the "right" (uh...yeah, you don't have this "right btw) to make a living and charge as much as you want to make such a living and not the next guy?

Well you might have a future in law, but you will need to get a bit more creative than that. I am proposing limiting how far banks, not people, can screw me over, after we have signed a contract. I am saying that it should be unlawful for a bank (a corporation, not a real person!) to be able to issue credit cards or loans using a contract that says the bank can change all the terms and rates at will, and that I am helpless to keep them from ruining me at their will. Why have a contract at all? Might as well borrow from a loan shark!

If you don't like a particular business model, don't use their product and do whatever else is legally in your power to go against them and help changes the minds of others. Expecting the government to "fix" what you view as a problem is doing exactly what you're complaining about. You have become that which you are fighting against. You way does not assume any accountability for yourself and is asking someone else to be responsible. That's what created the mess to begin with!

That part just does not make any sense.

What I am sure of is that the words "We the people...", imply that we are the government, so I am not asking the government for anything, I am part of the government. And I am doing everything I can to reverse the laws of the land back to what we had 30 years ago, back to a time when it was safe to borrow money from a bank with out fear of loan sharks from the bank sleeping in my living room and raiding my kids picky bank at 3 am, and to restore a balance in banking (loan) law to again treat individuals and families fairly as opposed to giving totally unfair advantage to large, monopolistic, banks that don't give a damn about individuals or families.

I think what Mike is after isn't a limitation on the rights of the real person, but a limitation on the "Rights" of the fictional legal entities known as corporations.

About which I agree fully. Limiting the rights of a fictional legal collective (be it a government or a corporate) in favour of empowering the individual is not at all a bad thing. "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law," but include, "provided thou doest not harm another," to finish the statement.

Corporations and governments are not - and have not been - subject to the latter limitation for some time. I think of the current "insecurity" craze to be somewhat akin to cutting off a leg when sunburned, because you might develop malignant melanoma as a result. Hah?

I think what Mike is after isn't a limitation on the rights of the real person, but a limitation on the "Rights" of the fictional legal entities known as corporations.

About which I agree fully. Limiting the rights of a fictional legal collective (be it a government or a corporate) in favour of empowering the individual is not at all a bad thing. "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law," but include, "provided thou doest not harm another," to finish the statement.

Corporations and governments are not - and have not been - subject to the latter limitation for some time. I think of the current "insecurity" craze to be somewhat akin to cutting off a leg when sunburned, because you might develop malignant melanoma as a result. Hah?

OMG, I think those ARE rocks I see falling, LOL!:clap:

I REALLY like that comparison between out of control overbearing governments and out of control leacherous corporations (neither of which is an individual) that have gotten more powerful, and more dangerous than our own government.

The only hope that "we" as individuals have to keep the wolf pack (rogue corporations) under control is our collective "We the People" exercise of our rights to self govern, meaning we are the government.

Unfortunetly a government of 300 million individuals (Democracy) has a tendency to be just a little bit schizophrenic.

Throw in the fact that the populace is, by and large, functionally ignorant and we have a recipe for political disaster.

How d'you think Obama got elected right after a Democratically-controlled Congress was elected?

Uhhh, let's, see, maybe because "ignorant" morons like me voted for them?

:D

But truthfully, A whole lot of real smart people voted for them this time, so you can't blame it just on the ignorant populous.

SEE! I told you rocks were falling! LOL. :laugh2:

And we were doing so well ganging up on Mischiefman!:D

I was suggesting that the bank (Creditor) should not unilaterally have the sole option to change the terms they see fit to change after the fact, anytime they wish with no justification, to any new terms they choose, no matter how unreasonable they may be, which is basically what most current credit card agreements say.

Uh...ya wanna scan one of these agreements that you allege to exist, because I can assure you that is NOT what they say. I've been doing bankruptcies for about 10 years now and I've heard this argument over and over again. At the end of the day, it is the consumer who failed to read the agreement and make sure they understood it before they entered into it. I have never once seen any such agreement as you allege to exist.

Again I say, no one is forcing you to have accept the credit that is being extended. People accept it and the terms that go with it. If you don't accept the terms, don't use the service. It isn't brain science or rocket surgery.

Unreasonable in whose mind though? I don't find their terms unreasonable at all. I don't use credit because I do not accept their terms, but who am I to say what is reasonable for how they run their business? Who are you to say how a business should operate and what is reasonable for them?

Banks can and do lobby Washington for every advantage they can squeeze out Washington to squeeze borrowers with to their advantage, so that they can squeeze, seize and own us into monetary slavery. Why shouldn't we have the right to lobby for ourselves, and to lobby for reasonable, level handed treatment by the banks. After all they need our permission to exist and operate, we do NOT need their permission to exist and live. We decide what rules they do or do not operate under. Or least that is the way it is supposed to work. Big $$ and the lobby power of big Money has changed that for far too long. I see no problem with limiting the legal ability of banks to lie, cheat. steal and plunder their way to unlimited profits at the expense of the American Public.

You have every right to lobby. I don't know where anyone said you don't. I am just amused that you complain about governmental control out of one side of your mouth and then ask for more control out of the other. All that I can see is that you want everything handed to you and others should suffer as a result.

Most current credit card agreements are nothing more than a cold blooded license to indescriminatly steal at will. There is no real upper limit to where the interest rates can go anymore, according to most current CC agreements.

For some reason people seem to confuse a free market economy with anarchy. A free market does work in a total vacuum (meaning no laws, limits, or rules), only anarchy does, last years crash being a perfect example of what happens when you let the wolf run the hen house.

Nope, no confusion here. Again, you're placing the blame on the business rather than the consumers who make use of the service. The investers are, ultimately, in control. Their abdication of their control is their own damn fault. It's all about accountability my friend. People ask for the service, they create the market, they then ask the government to police the market they created, and then complain when they don't like how someone else is handling their responsibility to police the people they employ.

Even Paulson had to finally buckle up and eat is own "Freemarket" thinking and us Government aid to save the world financial system because of the mess they created from letting the Wolf pack guard the Hen houses!

Yano, it's the greed and laziness of the comsumers that is the heart of this problem, not that of the companies. Let's put the blame where it belongs shall we? It is all the people who live by way of credit. It is all the people who borrow more than they can safely afford to pay back because they are only looking at the instant moment and small picture. It si all the people focus more on the "next big thing" than on what they already have. It is all the people who want more and more luxury.

I'm currently hurting financially, but it has nothing to do with the economy or markets. It is because I chose to go out and play with Jeeps rather than pay attention to my responsibilities. If not for that, the economy has not shown me that there is a problem. I don't live on credit. I don't even have a credit card. I pay cash and buy assets that will appreciate in value. I know many, many people who have banked their future on risky endevours that promised quick, huge rewards. They have given me grief because I did not invest and buy real estate. They told me that I was going to hurt in the future as a result. I watched for years as they sunk large sums of money into investments and lived on credit. I am now the one with assets and their accounts and equity in their homes that they are about lose is nothing. I say all this as an example of how it is the living outside of their means that is the problem, not the "wolfs" as you allege.

Many are jobless and homeless now because of this living beyond our means philosophy that has plaged this country since the end of WW2, not because of how the businesses have been run. Perhaps our government should regulate how the people spend their money to prevent issues such as this from happening? That makes more sense actually. Keep the people from spending more than they make so as to keep money available to supply people with jobs.

Oh, and thanks again for the Exxon/Mobil stock suggestion, but I did much better today with my own stock pick, PRGN. It was up about 50% on the day at one point after hours, and it is still a great buy. :wave1:

Glad to hear that's working out for you!!! :)

Well you might have a future in law, but you will need to get a bit more creative than that. I am proposing limiting how far banks, not people, can screw me over, after we have signed a contract. I am saying that it should be unlawful for a bank (a corporation, not a real person!) to be able to issue credit cards or loans using a contract that says the bank can change all the terms and rates at will, and that I am helpless to keep them from ruining me at their will. Why have a contract at all? Might as well borrow from a loan shark!

Again, I cannot stress enough that what you are proposing IS limiting the rights of the individual. It is limiting how people conduct their business. If a bank is privately owned, should the same regulations and rules apply, or are you suggesting that they should only apply to corporations?

Oh, and btw...uh...again, their is NO contract out there that says, "a bank (a corporation, not a real person!) to be able to issue credit cards or loans using a contract that says the bank can change all the terms and rates at will." By definition that is not a contract. There is no meeting of the minds as to the terms of the agreement. That certainly would not be an enforceable contract either way. Either produce some evidence that a contract such as this exists or please drop it. Making up ficticious allegations does not help your point at all. Actually it is extremely harmful to your position.

That part just does not make any sense.

It doesn't make sense or you don't want to accept the reality of it? You complain about the government mandating things. Then you complain because the government does not mandate things. If you don't like a particular company and how they do business, rather than finding a way to survive without doing business with them, you ask for the government to mandate more. When it all comes back to the consumer you complain yet again.

What I am sure of is that the words "We the people...", imply that we are the government, so I am not asking the government for anything, I am part of the government.

Nope. We, my friend, are a republic. We are not a democracy.

And I am doing everything I can to reverse the laws of the land back to what we had 30 years ago, back to a time when it was safe to borrow money from a bank with out fear of loan sharks from the bank sleeping in my living room and raiding my kids picky bank at 3 am, and to restore a balance in banking (loan) law to again treat individuals and families fairly as opposed to giving totally unfair advantage to large, monopolistic, banks that don't give a damn about individuals or families.

Again, simple solution, stop borrowing money. Live within your means. Asking the government to control things so that you don't have to be accountable is the problem with this country.

Uh..yeah, ummm...just who do you think owns and runs these "fictitious" entities? The shareholds do. Ask the government to regulate the business is asking the government to regulate an individual's affairs.

Will the same rules that you're asking for apply to everyone or just corporations though? What if one business is a closed corp, another is a public corp, another a partnership, and another a sole proprietorship....will the same rules apply across the board, or are you asking that one class of business be discriminated against in favor of another? Anyway you slice it, you're asking the government to limit the rights of someone in favor of someone else.

Again, I ask, what gives YOU the right to dictate (or even ask to be able to dictate) what one person should or should not be able to do? What makes you so special?

And yet again, if you don't like how a business is running their affairs, don't use the business. Protest the business. Take your woes against a specific business public and have others rally with you. The net result is a loss in profits. Share holders voting in a new Board of Directors. Price drops...etc. etc. etc. Asking the government to regulate, mandate, and dictate is giving up your own power and accountability.

And we were doing so well ganging up on Mischiefman!:D

What's truly funny, to me, about all this is that I sound like some sort of extreme Conservative....the reality of the situation is that I'm an extreme Libertarian.

I believe we have too many laws and too much government. :cheers:

Back