• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attention Trailer wiring gurus:

COSXJFAN

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but, I'm having an issue with my trailer brakes, and hoping someone here is sharper on this subject than myself!! I have a 2007 Nissan Titan with a Tenkonsha Prodigy trailer brake controller. The controller seems to be working fine, but when I plug my Jeep hauler in, it doesn't register that there is a trailer behind me most of the time. When it does function, the brakes are not stellar!! I know that it is more than likely a short somewhere, but wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, and could point me in the right direction to look for the short. I have wired a normal trailer before, but never one with brakes on it, so any and all advise would be extremely helpful!! Thanks much guys!!

Make sure you have a good ground between the trailer and the tow vehicle.

Make sure you have a good ground between the trailer and the tow vehicle.
Way X2. A lot of smaller trailers(like we haul with light trucks) have the system ground through the hitch. Corrosion on the hitch, ball, trailer hitch mounts etc can cause both brake and lighting issues.

Try running a temporary dedicated ground wire from the truck to the trailer(frame to frame) try this even if your trailer plug has a dedicated ground wire in it.

Although this won't fix the intermittent problem...Check that the brakes are in adjustment also.

Trailer brakes do not have self adjusters. You have to manually adjust them once in awhile.

Although this won't fix the intermittent problem...Check that the brakes are in adjustment also.

Trailer brakes do not have self adjusters. You have to manually adjust them once in awhile.

Thanks, I didn't know that, and it would explain why they flat sucked when they did actually work!! LOL!! I'll check for the grounding issue. I have the large round trailer plug set on my rig, does anyone know if there is dedicated ground in that plug, or would it go through the frame and ball, like was stated earlier??

Thanks, I didn't know that, and it would explain why they flat sucked when they did actually work!! LOL!! I'll check for the grounding issue. I have the large round trailer plug set on my rig, does anyone know if there is dedicated ground in that plug, or would it go through the frame and ball, like was stated earlier??

Yep :D
7WayTrailerEnd.jpg

Does the Prodigy flash any trouble codes while plugged in? If it displays a flashing 0L or SH your trailer brake + wire has a short somewhere.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed!!:cheers:

Does the Prodigy flash any trouble codes while plugged in? If it displays a flashing 0L or SH your trailer brake + wire has a short somewhere.

I have noticed the Sh code, so that's kinda what told me it was a short somewhere. But most of the time it operates like it does without the trailer hooked up. Now that I know what I'm looking at, it will be MUCH easier to trouble shoot!! Thanks guys!!

I have noticed the Sh code, so that's kinda what told me it was a short somewhere. But most of the time it operates like it does without the trailer hooked up. Now that I know what I'm looking at, it will be MUCH easier to trouble shoot!! Thanks guys!!

If your brake wires run through your axle tube that could be where the short is.

Back