• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN Header install w/pics.

That's the other thought that crossed my mind...the crows foot. I think I'll be able to re-use the down pipe but I might replace the cat while I have everything apart. Definitely want to do a cat back. Probably Rustys. Thank you.

Ive heard multiple people complain of clearance issues and they had to grind some material off. what and where is material being ground off, and what is not clearing?

XJiggy said:
Ive heard multiple people complain of clearance issues and they had to grind some material off. what and where is material being ground off, and what is not clearing?

From what I gather, I think the clearance issues are with the 99+ intakes, the older style intake has no issues. I'm sot sure exactly where the clearance problem is on the99+ intakes though.

Hale

i had a 97 with the apn. fit like a glove. when i switched to the 99 intake manifold i had to grind intake ports 4 and 5 i think on the intake and a little bit of the bottom of the number 6 runner. still not positive of the fit...also not positive of my grinding. a more experienced person could definately pull this off.

I had the same promblem with the bolt. I couldn`t start it. So I took the intake off and started it first, then slid the intake on since it is sloted. Took a storty wrench form the front to tighten it up. Acouple mouthe later and no promblems:eeks1: .

Funny. I just pulled my APN off last night. Cracked really bad at two crotch welds..

DON'T USE HEADER WRAP. I'm guessing it contributed??? Was installed last August.

Orginal install done during head gasket change. Getting it off SUCKED.

I welded it up, but didn't trust putting it back on. I really don't wanna do it again.

Replaced with Dorman. Was cake walk to put on.

Someone wants my old one, pay for the shipping and it's yours.

apn.jpg

how many bolts are there on the header/intake bolt up?

and what is up with replacing the studs? where are they? and what is that all about?

Best thing for rusty bolts that I've used is PB Blaster... just soak them several times and it breaks down rust like nobodies business.

Frank Z said:
Yes, I put the APN header on with a 99 intake on my stroker. FWIW, I used a ratchet wrench to get the bottom bolts tight.

You didn't have to grind on the intake or header to get it to fit? from what I have read,most people that do this swap have to do some grinding to get the header to fit.

Speaking of grinding...

When I did mine with a Banks and a used 99 intake manifold, I do remember we did one thing that somehow made things easier. I have a 98 XJ and bought a used 99 manifold from a Jeep mechanic friend. When I picked it up, on the lower part of the gasket interface was two alignment holes that go over a couple of dowels on the head. One alignment hole was cracked in half horizontally.

This actually was a blessing in disguise because it somehow made the assembly process a bit easier. We may have even ground the other alignment hole in half as well. I can't quite remember exactly how this helped, but it did. The intake manifold was unaffected as the alignment holes sat on top of the dowels and held the intake manifold just fine.

I apologize for the vague recollection, but the mention of grinding the intake triggered the memory for me and maybe it will make things a little easier for someone else.

Everything seemed to go well, except for the fact that I couldn't tighten the bolt behind the center pipes on the right side. I could not get my fingers, socket and barely a wrench on there. The problem was that once I finally was able to get a wrench on there it didn't want to tighten up. It almost felt as if I was cross-threading the darn thing. Not sure how that could have happened since I started all the bolts by hand... but alas, I didn't tighten that bolt up and hopefully it won't cause a leak as all others are snugged to specs via a torque wrench. Anyone have this same problem???

I did my header this weekend and was able to get to the #4 bolt by getting under the Jeep and reaching up between the header and block. Actually, it was pretty easy to tighten but no way in hell was a torque wrench gonna fit in there. I just tightened them up and NO LEAKS!! The hard one was the #1 bolt towards the firewall. #4 is near the radiator side.

Last edited:
cjben said:
You didn't have to grind on the intake or header to get it to fit? from what I have read,most people that do this swap have to do some grinding to get the header to fit.

I didnt have to grind mine either...fit very nice. I have also heard of the grinding stories and was hoping I wouldnt run into that.:clap:

DesertXJ68 said:
I did my header this weekend and was able to get to the #4 bolt by getting under the Jeep and reaching up between the header and block. Actually, it was pretty easy to tighten but no way in hell was a torque wrench gonna fit in there. I just tightened them up and NO LEAKS!! The hard one was the #1 bolt towards the firewall. #4 is near the radiator side.

how do you check if you have leaks, sound and idle?
i didnt realize my header was cracked for a while, is a leak obvious?

How do these headers fair in the long run? You hear about people claiming their headers with expansion chambers are more resistant to cracking due to them not being able to flex with the movement/flexing/twistin of the jeep. Any truth to this?

Just for reference who all makes headers for the XJ 4.0?
Edelbrock
Banks
Borla?
APN
Pacesetter
any others? My 90 and 98 both need new exhaust and I want to get something that will be a worthwhile investment so I'm researching it now.

-Kevin

not to revive a dead thread, but...

im needing a new header as the stock one has a huge crack in it and my jeep will not pass emissions due to high NOx readings. the APN is my first choice as far as price goes.

im wondering about the longevity of the apn headers. from those whom have apn headers on their jeeps- are there any noticeable flaws with them that occured over time (like cracks)? im not caring too much about hp gains or seat of the pants dyno, just if these will stand the test of time.

thanks in advance
stewie

Back