• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN Header install w/pics.

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got to replace my cracked OE 'header' w/a new one f/ APN. This appears to be a great piece with an even better price. That part can be located here http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewp...dProduct=20009

Everything seemed to go well, except for the fact that I couldn't tighten the bolt behind the center pipes on the right side. I could not get my fingers, socket and barely a wrench on there. The problem was that once I finally was able to get a wrench on there it didn't want to tighten up. It almost felt as if I was cross-threading the darn thing. Not sure how that could have happened since I started all the bolts by hand... but alas, I didn't tighten that bolt up and hopefully it won't cause a leak as all others are snugged to specs via a torque wrench. Anyone have this same problem???

OK... here's some pics.

Here's what came in the package:
Header08-05-06001.jpg

Here's a close up of the welds and it appears this header is made w/quality welds and steel. Advertised as 321 stainless. Only time will tell.
Header08-05-06006.jpg

Here's after all OE stuff removed and prior to cleaning the valve area and old gasket off.
Header08-05-06014.jpg

Here's a side by side pic of the OE vs APN headers
Header08-05-06021.jpg

And here's a closeup of the cracked OE pipe.
Header08-05-06024.jpg

I may take this OE pipe in to a shop and have it welded up. Or perhaps I'll just talk my brother into welding it up for me. He's a professional welder... much better than I.

I didn't really have any trouble, other than the stubborn and hard to get to bolt. I would suggest a bit of a redesign of these headers to allow better access to all the bolts. Also, another small complaint I have... where the header pipe joins to the downpipe... the way the bend it on the flange f/the header it makes it impossible to drop the new bolts f/the top side down. You have to come f/the bottom side up on one side and can drop the bolts down on the other.

I haven't noticed any seat of the pants gain (not that I had planned to) but I did notice that I can finally hear my flowmaster muffler versus the HUGE exhaust leak coming f/the cracked header.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to give my best answer. If anyone has any tips or how-tos on how to get that loose bolt tightened up I'd appreciate it.

All in all... took me about 6.5 hours f/start to finish and it was HOTTTTTTT in my garage this past Saturday. I also took the time to clean the intake and exhaust ports and the intake manifold. Probably could have cut that time in 1/2 if not for the stubborn bolt and spending so much time wipping sweat f/my face and out of my eyes.

Next I'll be changing out my motor mounts and tranny mount. I don't want this header to crack and those need replaced anyhow.

BTW, if anyone wants high-res pics let me know and I can email. thanks.

i too installed this APN header and its been doing well so far. i noticed some power increase as i had cleaned out my intake as well. its been on there for about 3k miles and seems to be holding fine. i agree as those hidden bolts are a pain to get back in. you almost need some kind of super low prifine wrench. i ended up hand torquing them by feel and approximated the amt of weight for the torque. probably off but hopefully close. it was easiest to get to them from the front of the motor where the PS pump is. all that was removed. i re-checked torque after 1k miles and everything held true. i will check again in 1k miles just to make sure. i used antiseize on the threads.

the header looks decent and i had to grind a bit of metal off the flange and intake to make it mesh correctly but overall i think the deal cannot be better. apn also has great customer service. calling to make sure the card used was not ripped off.

i dont know where these are made, maybe china. i know buying american is better and all but i don't have the money and i had sh*t to get done so i am not in a position in which i can discriminate. however, if someone were to offer me a banks header for the 113.00 price of an APN i'd snap that sh*t up!

enjoy!

How are you cleaning out the intake? What are you using to do it? Soaking it in something or just elbow grease? I plan on going with a APN header in the near future. My plan is to swap in a 99' + intake at the same time. Just waiting till I can find a good deal on an intake.
Thanks guys.

I wasn't reposting the link for you, I did it because the link the OP listed wasn't working.

I used the best gasket I could find and lots of layers of cooper sprey on them, and left that bolt out. I could not find a way to get it even started.. Oh with a Pacesetter though...

Are you guys just using the gasket they give you? I put mine on tonight and I can hear a leak pretty bad...it sounds like a vacuum leak. I scraped all the old seal off and cleaned the intake. I'm probably going to have to retighten the bolts towards the front...thats where it seems to be leaking from. I've ran it pretty much all day and I can still hear the leak.

Wow... I hadn't been back to check my post and apparently the notification isn't working for me... :)

anyway to answer some of the questions.

I cleaned the intake w/some carb cleaner and a lot of elbow grease. I used a long flat screwdriver to clean off the heavy carbon deposits and then just kept running the cleaner and a heavy duty sponge thru... and it worked well. A small brass brush would work well too. I also cleaned the valve ports as best I could using the same method and then blew out any excess cleaner fluid and carbon using my air compressor. Be careful if you do this as the fluid will come out in all different directions... (protect your eyes...)

The collector I believe comes out to a 2.25" diameter... not sure, but it's the same as the stock header pipe.

I also just used the APN supplied gasket. It appeared to be a pretty good peice and I haven't noticed any leaks since installation.

So far so good (knock on wood). I feel an improvement in throttle response and appears to have gained some HP. That could also be partly due to cleaning up 190K miles of carbon deposits on the intake/exhaust ports. My Jeep definately sounds better know... I can hear the flowmaster ser 50 instead of just a LOUD cracked manifold.

I'm considering replacing my cracked manifold with the APN real soon. The major complaint with this header is tightening some of the bolts or simply getting them in? Is it just one bolt or several? Would it be any help to go with studs? Thanks.

Awright...

I'm sold...

Going to order one today for the stroker project...

Should be easier to bolt down with the engine/head dissasembled anyway...

Thanks for the input guys.

riverfever said:
I'm considering replacing my cracked manifold with the APN real soon. The major complaint with this header is tightening some of the bolts or simply getting them in? Is it just one bolt or several? Would it be any help to go with studs? Thanks.
The bolt locations/problems are the same with stock or aftermarket exhaust systems. Studs are not a solution. Read the instruction sheet that comes with the header and it's not too much of a problem. You will not be able to use a torque wrench on all nuts. I torque one and use a wrench to feel what that torque is, then 'hand torque' them all. I can change the exhaust manifold on one in about 3 hours total... and never break a sweat either. ;)

Back