• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone want to buy this '98XJ AS-IS?

I am aware of this bizarre fact. NJ is the strangest place to register a car in America. I can go no higher than 37's and 30" to the bottom of my xj's door, but my F350, being over 10K GVWR and diesel, is subject to no inspections and no actual rules..cops have waved me on with tinted windows, and I was actually told by one of the guys at the Hilift insp. station that if I put 54's on that, no one can do a thing about it. It just pegs the Weird-S**t-O-Meter, dont it?
Rich

Mass has similar restrictions. If you fix the thing up, all listed damage has to be fixed with new parts or used parts that you get receipts for from the junkyards listing the VIN numbers of the vehicles they came off of, etc. If no real specifics were listed as to why it was salvage titled you can obviously play games here, it's to prevent chop shops selling parts off stolen vehicles to body repair shops really. The damage you listed doesn't sound very expensive though, so you could probably buy another ECU and assorted other stuff at a junkyard, get the VIN number receipt thing covered, then sell them again afterwards.

We have wacky-ass rules about tire and lift size but no crazy separate inspection. And 33s+4" on an XJ fits within the law anyways, so I couldn't care less.

Mass has similar restrictions. If you fix the thing up, all listed damage has to be fixed with new parts or used parts that you get receipts for from the junkyards listing the VIN numbers of the vehicles they came off of, etc. If no real specifics were listed as to why it was salvage titled you can obviously play games here, it's to prevent chop shops selling parts off stolen vehicles to body repair shops really. The damage you listed doesn't sound very expensive though, so you could probably buy another ECU and assorted other stuff at a junkyard, get the VIN number receipt thing covered, then sell them again afterwards.

We have wacky-ass rules about tire and lift size but no crazy separate inspection. And 33s+4" on an XJ fits within the law anyways, so I couldn't care less.

The repairs from the "accident" have already been done - a windshield and rear window replacement. I have the receipt for that. The PCM wasn't due to the "accident" but the previous owner using one of those battery jumppacks to try and start the car and somehow fried the original PCM.

No it does not, not in MA.
Yes it does.

4x4 vehicles in MA have a maximum suspension lift above max OEM suspension height (use UpCountry, 1" above stock) of (wheelbase * wheel track) / 2200. That gives you 3.8" even counting WMS-WMS width instead of overall width w/rims and tires. Tire lift (i.e. radius increase) is allowed to increase likewise.

But... I'm going to stop derailing now, I was simply commiserating with the wonderful residents of the people's republic of new jersey.

EDIT: Sounds like you're all set to pass the salvage inspection then :thumbup:

EDIT: Sounds like you're all set to pass the salvage inspection then :thumbup:

Not quite. I don't have color photographs of the Jeep before the repairs were done and those are required for the salvage inspection. The only thing that will take the place of these photographs is an insurance or police report of the "accident." CarFax shows nothing, but I've still got one law enforcement agent who is pretty sure he can get a copy of said report.

A friend came by last night and helped me put in the interior.

CIMG2407.jpg

CIMG2408.jpg

CIMG2409.jpg

CIMG2410.jpg

I have the front drivers floormat and bottom portion of the rear seat. I'm going to clean both before I install them as they're a bit dirty and dusty from sitting in my shop.

Known issues still present:

Upper left rear shock mount bolt broken
Right rearview mirror glass missing
Catalytic converter guts sound like they rattle
Steering wheel is not centered
Tailpipe mount broken
Front right wheel centercap missing
Shifter button lock-out does not work (allows you to shift into gear with key off and foot off brake)

One last "issue." A mouse built a nest in the airbox. Last night, my friend and I pulled the blower motor out and vacuumed the nest out, but the smell is still there. I'm going to look into some good deodorizing methods and do what I can to get that fixed, however, it's going to take time for the interior to "air" out. The carpets/seats don't smell (they weren't even in the car), it's just the HVAC ductwork behind the dash is still smelly. I've put the A/C (which still works, by the way) on recirc and sprayed some deodorizer into the airbox and that has helped a lot, but it's still not completely gone, especially when the heat is on.

Made some headway on the title issue. One of my law enforcement connections got back to me and was able to tell me the insurance company that issued the salvage certificate. Called them, but their salvage department is only open on weekdays - will try again on Monday if the XJ isn't gone by then.

I'm interested. I'm from VA and up here for school, so I can take it home and have it registered no problem, did the same thing with my last jeep. I can't swing 1500, shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

Thanks,

Ecgtech

I'm interested. I'm from VA and up here for school, so I can take it home and have it registered no problem, did the same thing with my last jeep. I can't swing 1500, shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

Thanks,

Ecgtech

ecgtech has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove ecgtech from the recipient list and send the message again.

Huh, my options seem to be set so that I can receive PM's and I've received them in the past. At any rate, I just PM'ed you with contact info, let me know if that doesn't go through.

Thanks,

ECGTECH

Known issues still present:

Upper left rear shock mount bolt broken
Right rearview mirror glass missing
Catalytic converter guts sound like they rattle
Steering wheel is not centered
Tailpipe mount broken
Front right wheel centercap missing
Shifter button lock-out does not work (allows you to shift into gear with key off and foot off brake)

One last "issue." A mouse built a nest in the airbox. Last night, my friend and I pulled the blower motor out and vacuumed the nest out, but the smell is still there. I'm going to look into some good deodorizing methods and do what I can to get that fixed, however, it's going to take time for the interior to "air" out. The carpets/seats don't smell (they weren't even in the car), it's just the HVAC ductwork behind the dash is still smelly. I've put the A/C (which still works, by the way) on recirc and sprayed some deodorizer into the airbox and that has helped a lot, but it's still not completely gone, especially when the heat is on.

Haha....the cat's no good and now you've got mice.
:smsoap:

I received a copy of the insurance "report" today. It's just an estimate of record from an auto body shop in Newark, NJ with a TOTAL LOSS stamped across each page, probably due to the ridiculous estimate that was given. Some of the more notable repairs that the auto body shop said needed to be done were:

• Replacing the left front door skin, repaint, and redecal. You saw the picture of that, it barely has some marks near the bottom.
  • Replace steering column to the tune of $600. I guess because it was assumed to be damaged in the theft?
  • Replace headliner for $300. WTF? Why? It's nicer than any of the ones in my other XJs.
  • Replace front right wheel for $129. Again, why?
  • Replace spare wheel for $126. Since when is it a body shop's responsibility to replace these kinds of things?
  • Replace the front right tire for $143.65. This tire was low when I got the Jeep, but only because the valve stem was cracked and leaking. I fixed that for $2.
  • Replace spare tire for $143.65. They're just price gouging at this point.
  • Replace axle housing for $1,350. Ummm....ok, I'm going to have to look at this. I assume they're talking about the front axle based on the things that follow.
  • Replace right steering knuckle for $245.
  • Replace right axle shaft assembly w/ABS (this isn't an ABS Jeep) for $540
  • Replace CD changer for $475. This thing had a CD changer?! Huh, never knew.
The front and rear windshield is on there too - each for about $500. It's no wonder this poor Jeep was totaled. This is a prime example of an auto body shop completely "padding" an estimate to get the most money possible out of an insurance company. The grand total with parts and labor was $8232.83, which I guess put the Jeep over the threshold. It's a shame because had this Jeep been taken to a reputable body shop with an honest adjuster, it would have never been branded a salvage.

I'm going to take a look at the front axle housing and steering knuckle and see if there is any damage whatsoever over there. Hard to believe considering this Jeep tracks in a straight line and the front suspension feels incredibly tight.

Where in NJ are you? I might be interested just have to check with my aunt whos is a notary and make sure we can get it titled in Pa. My friends and I have enough XJ's around that extra parts might not be a bad thing even if I can't get it titled.

So, anyone interested? I can make myself available for most of the day tomorrow, but I've got dinner plans that I cannot cancel.

Back